“Clean and good looking food.”
Review of Flying Melon

Flying Melon
Ranked #5 of 34 Restaurants in Ocracoke
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed April 15, 2014 via mobile

Brunch in the south means breakfast served late, not a buffet like where I'm from.

I had a breakfast casserole. Not a frittata. Not a quiche. A bit too bready for me.

My wife had eggs Benedict over corned beef and mash. The corned beef was lean, eggs and hollandaise sauce were perfect.

Service was excellent and the place clean and nicely appointed.

Just be sure and get there by 2:00. They close then until dinner.

Reviewed April 15, 2014

The freshest fish, delicious salads and veggies all prepared with real pizazz. Really nice wine list too. The new building on the Back Road is totally retro/hip. The interior is beautiful and the ambiance is remainsl relaxed and fun. Best food along the whole length of the Cape Hatteras National Seashore. Not to be missed!

Reviewed February 13, 2014

We spend several weeks a year in the Outer Banks, and we always make it a point to visit Ocracoke. We tried a relatively new restaurant for dinner, Flying Melon Café, and we were very pleasantly surprised! We had the bunch of appetizers to share, and they were all terrific. I especially enjoyed the fried eggplant, as well as the mushroom cheesecake with burgundy crème sauce. The salads were all interesting and very fresh. The seafood is part of the local fisherman’s catch, and it absolutely delicious. Highly recommend a trip to Flying Melon!

Reviewed January 17, 2014

We live in DC and regularly 'eat around' in DC, NYC and Amsterdam. The Melon is operated by veteran and renowned New Orleans restauranteurs. The food and service compare with nearly any $50 a plate restaurants in any of the above and Chef Micheal does a superior with the local seafood with a New Orleans flare. And given you are on an island that focus on seafood should be expected, yet the steak and filets are superior as well. Now in their new location the facility is arguable the best on the island to boot. The decor is a mix of French country side and New Orleans and Michael's wife Paula is the expert who has choreographed the facility. Son Nat has upped the wine list with the focus on value per bottle not price. All in all I highly recommend the Melon, and if you are lucky enough to meet Micheal as about the unique name. While the below rating system dictates a $$$ price you are going to be getting $$$$ food and service for a $$ price. Oh and I should add one of the BEST brunches available anywhere.

1  Thank CBLuigi
Reviewed December 6, 2013

I enjoyed our nice breakfast at the Flying melon. The atmosphere was very warm and inviting. I liked seeing families with happy children eating there. Every table had a little bowl of crayons for the children!

1  Thank lbs720