“Service, cleanliness and condition of room were all disappointing - do not stay here!”
Review of Blackbeard's Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ocracoke
Blackbeard's Lodge
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Ocracoke
Reviewed September 13, 2012

We stayed here because we needed a pet friendly room with a kitchenette for our 4 night stay. The room was extremely disappointing from the minute we arrived but decided to stick it out since they made us pay for the stay up front.

Pictures online are very misleading. The room was musty and extremely outdated. A/c units in the wall were super noisy but somehow couldn't block out the noise from all surrounding rooms. We could hear everything our neighbors did - walls were very thin.

No outlets in bathroom and had to unplug the a/c unit to blow dry my hair.

"Flat screen tv" was a computer monitor - 17 inches -TINY and on low table we couldn't see the tv while laying in the loud creaking bed.

Sheets felt damp the entire stay. Towels were disgusting, hard, and were discolored - I would rather use my beach towels.

If all of this wasnt enough management was rude and unprofessional upon checkout- didn't come out from the back room to greet us only to take our credit card. He was a complete jerk about checkout time when there were absolutely no signs with checkout time.

Overpriced - maybe worth $30 a night but expect it to be gross.

• Stayed: September 2012
4  Thank emglass

Reviewed September 4, 2012

We stayed in this hotel for 4 days - we loved how we could walk everywhere from the hotel. Pool was clean and the games room was fun for my kids. Great coffee in the lobby and around the corner from a lovely independent coffee shop where we got breakfast each am. Would love to go back!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 11, 2012

This is a very old hotel with not many upgrades. Our room was nothing like what it looked like on the website. It was supposed to be a 2 bed apartment. The "Queen", bed was actually only a full. The second bedroom had bunk beds that were in the kitchen! The bathroom was very very tiny. The staff recommended this room with 4 adults and 2 kids. Way too small. The front desk was less than helpful and not very friendly. Would not recommend.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Danica M
BBLodge, Owner at Blackbeard's Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2012

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate your time to let us know your concerns. We maintain up-to-date and accurate descriptions and photos of each room on our web site. This way, guests know what to expect when booking a specific room. We strive to give personal attention to each and every guest.

Reviewed July 31, 2012

We were late in booking a hotel for our trip to Ocracoke, and we took the first hotel which happened to have rooms available. Given the discrepancy in some of these reviews, I wasn't sure what to expect, and I was pleasantly surprised.

The hotel lobby is pleasant and kitchy, decorated with pirate themes. There is a game room with a pool table, air hockey, fooseball table, games and a TV. The pool area is small, but the pool itself goes from 2ft to 7ft in depth - a nice change from some of the other places I've stayed whose pools more resemble wading pools than somewhere you can actually swim.

The entire hotel is scrupulously clean. The rooms are small and spare with an air conditioner in the window. The beds are comfortable and the bathrooms clean. It's a short walk or drive to anything else on the island.

The staff are helpful, friendly and relaxed, giving the place just the atmosphere you
want in a vacation spot. If you're looking for a good place to eat/shop just ask at the front desk and they will be more than helpful

If you're expecting the ritz carlton look elsewhere. In fact, you probably should probably pick another vacation destination altogether. But if you're looking for a fun vacation at a reasonable rate, this is a good choice. We will be staying here again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank EAS56
Reviewed July 23, 2012

I would thoroughly reccommend this lodge anyone staying in Ocracoke. We stayed for two nights in July and the staff, location and facilities were fab. We stayed on a roadtrip of the Deep South and it was by far the nicest room we had in the price range - lovely and clean, bright and relaxing.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 19, 2012

Our stay was less than desirable. We usually stay elsewhere but the rooms were booked at that particular hotel for the dates we were traveling. I'll start with the positives. The reservation and check-in process went smoothly. The pool is very nice and wasn't crowded like you see at some hotels. There is a golf cart charging station on the property which was convenient for us. We love Ocracoke and the island was as charming as it always is. The front desk person was very nice and always available when I went out there. There were plenty of recycle areas in the room and outside which is nice. Now for the negatives. The driveway is awful. When we arrived it had just rained alot and the road was a bit flooded and you couldn't see that there is a HUGE hole in the driveway. We thought we had busted a tire or something when we unknowingly ran into the hole! A couple of well placed cones would have been appreciated to let guests know to avoid that section of driveway. The rest of the driveway was bumpy and unlevel as well so you had to enter it at an angle to avoid problems. This is in need of repair in my opinion. The room itself was smaller than I expected, but we managed. The tv reception was poor - but not something I hold against them because this is an island afterall and I didn't come to Ocracoke to watch tv. :) The floor was dirty when we arrived - had alot of sand from previous tenants. The shower seemed nice at first but the water kept going from hot to cold due to other people flushing toilets or running their sinks or showers. We found this to be an annoyance but again nothing that was too serious. The worst problem for us - and the reason we will never stay at Blackbeard's again - was the bed problem. One bed was very soft and comfortable - as you would expect. The other bed - I kid you not - was like sleeping on the floor. It was so hard that I didn't get a wink of sleep the entire night for the 3 nights I was there. I don't know what they were thinking putting such a horrible bed in there. My own bed in my home was purchased as a bed-in-a-box from Walmart.com for $99 and is 10000% more comfortable than the bed in this hotel. If you don't mind sleeping on a rock hard slab of concrete - because that's how bad it was - then by all means go for it. My last comment is on the air conditioner. It was a window unit and unfortunately it just didn't keep the room very cool even though it was only in the mid 80's during our stay. If it had been in the 90's or 100's I imagine that we would have been miserably hot. Overall we enjoyed our stay in Ocracoke as always, but will not be returning to Blackbeard's Lodge.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank JennaBean13
Reviewed July 9, 2012

We stayed for 4 nights in room G for 4th of July 2012. The hotel is a block off Rt 12, the "major" road on the island. It's an easy walk or bike ride to restaurants and shops (Ocracoke Coffee, a great morning place, is just a block away). The most popular swimming beach is about 2 miles away. Blackbeard has a small but nice pool and several grills if you want to cook out. There's also a game room with a pool table, fooseball and air hockey (each game requires a few quarters).

Our room, along with a few other rooms, was in a separate structure that appeared to be newer than the the main hotel. The room was exactly what we were looking for in Ocracoke-- clean and functional. It's a place to sleep, not a place to hang out. There was a small in-room fridge. The sink was in the sleeping part, not the bathroom. A few cons: The shower water temperature fluctuated from cold to hot quickly and frequently. The towels weren't new or fluffy, but they were usable. And the air conditioner is quite loud. A nice pro: Rocking chairs on our front porch made for a nice place to relax. Housekeeping did an excellent job each day cleaning the room, particularly with all the sand we dragged in from the beach.

The front desk wasn't particularly helpful, but never rude. As for extra charges, we didn't have any issues. Although when I asked for the bill as I checked out they said they'd email an invoice and I never received it. But my credit card charges matched up with the daily quoted rate.

Overall, I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a decent place to sleep but not expecting a 4 star hotel.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ocracoke
Sea Gull Motel
#6 of 11 in Hatteras Island
Castle on Silver Lake
Castle on Silver Lake
#3 of 7 in Ocracoke

Been to Blackbeard's Lodge? Share your experiences!