“Nice original historical hotel”
Review of Blackbeard's Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ocracoke
Blackbeard's Lodge
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Ocracoke
Reviewed September 15, 2011

Recently visited here again after the hurricane blew through. This is an older original hotel, built in the early 1900's, which has been though a number of updates to bring it to modern times, but still feels very classic and a through back in time. If you want a slick Hilton Hampton Marriott experience this isn't for you, it feels more like a cross between a B&B and an old Hotel. The prices are very reasonable for the Island. Some old boards creek, but the people are friendly.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family

Reviewed September 12, 2011

the place might not look like much but it was very cozy and the people were very nice. rent the bikes and go around the island. beware of the horse flies they are nasty and they sting like hell.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 12, 2011

I liked the relaxed vibe of this hotel. It appears to be one of the older hotels on the island, and has some fun historical photos along the walls in the hallways. The pool is small but pleasant, and we never had to deal with any crowds or seating shortages at the pool. The downside of the hotel: The room we stayed in was quite tired-looking for the price (it averaged about $168/night with taxes) -- no charm, but rather the look of a motel room circa 1975. (We probably wouldn't have minded this as much if we hadn't had a few really rainy days that kept us indoors too much.) The window didn't let in enough light, due to the air conditioner. There was a shared balcony with a few chairs (which were being used by a neighboring room). The cleaning service skipped our room one day. On the upside, the staff were pretty friendly, and you really do feel as though the hotel is part of the island's history. The location is good, right off the main road and near plenty of shops and restaurants. I get the feeling that the hotel attracts a lot of loyal repeat visitors.

Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank roadtripper011
Reviewed August 2, 2011

My husband booked this as a last minute trip during the 'high season' for our anniversary. When we pulled up I wasn’t sure what to expect but as soon as we saw our room I felt relaxed. This is not a fancy hotel by any means. I felt like we were staying at my grandma’s house the whole time because you feel comfortable to do whatever you want. Our room was on the first floor near a side door that lead directly to the pool and a parking lot. This was great because my husband brought his paddle board (these are huge and heavy) and was able to take it in and out of our room with little trouble. This should also give you an idea of how big our room was. The room isn’t packed with amenities but rather the basics of what you need. We had a king size bed, AC window unit, mini fridge, small shelf, and a dresser with a door that lead to the toilet and bathtub. The sink and mirror are actually located in the bedroom. We brought our bikes and the location of the lodge is great because it is a short bike ride to EVERYTHING. The staff was pleasant and helpful but also laid back. We enjoyed the pool every day we were there and even played air hockey in the game room. There was a great little coffee shop about a block away we walked to that I highly recommend, Ocracoke Coffee Company. This is a great place if you’re looking for a laid back atmosphere and some relaxation without all the bells and whistles.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kimbie14
Reviewed July 8, 2011

We stayed at Blackbeard's because it was a reasonably priced hotel that we were able to book at the last minute that allowed dogs. We were put in a room away from the main building of the inn. The floor of our room was cheap tile, which made us feel like our bed was in a kitchen. We were very disappointed with the room, especially because we were expecting a relaxing vacation and the hotel felt like a roadside motel. The interior of the hotel is interesting. As its name suggests, it is pirate-themed; however it has a bizarre feel instead of a fun, vacation atmosphere. The only highlight of the hotel is the pool, which is tiny, but has the intimate feel of a hot tub. Would suggest staying here if you are going to Ocracoke on a tight budget with a pet -- but only if this is your only option.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank MsEBandMrVB
Reviewed July 6, 2011

My wife and I stayed here for two nights - 11th and 12th June 2011 as part of a USA touring holiday. Staff were excellent and most helpful. The accommodation was most pleasant and the stay very enjoyable.

Breakfast could be had a short walk away and was most inexpensive. We fell in love with Ochracoke and stayed one extra day here to walk around the town. The harbour was beautiful with a large number of pelicans.

We arrived by ferry which by UK standards was staggeringly cheap. $15 for a car, two passengers and a 2hr 45 min, 27-mile voyage across the Sound.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank indicator
Reviewed May 25, 2011

This place is wonderful... hands down! From the time I made my reservation until the time we left we received world class service! KC at the front desk was so nice and enthusiastic, and genuinely interested in how our trip was! The maid came in and made the bed as well as left clean towels when we left the sign on the door for her to do so! I left a diamond bracelet, a droid, and a gps in the room and nothing was ever touched!

The hotel from the time you walk in the door is so quaint and full of history! We were within walking distance of absolutely everything. We stayed at small but very clean pool most of our time in Ocracoke b/c the beach was too windy. Let me just say again we REALLY enjoyed the pool!

Blackbeard's Lodge is not the Hilton! I feel like so many of the bad reviews on here are from people who want a Toyota to be a Lotus! The rooms are smaller than normal hotel rooms but people this is more like a B&B with the privacy of a hotel not a hotel! The sink does not drain very quickly and the shower does get hot (like someone flushed the toilet) but these are all things you can expect from a place with so much history. I believe Blackbeard's lodge was built in the 1930's. Some people complained of the moisture or humidity, if you are from a place that isn't humid, you probably arent going to like Ocracoke PERIOD so don't go! Every place we went was humid and Blackbeard's was no exception, this is to be expected as well. IT'S AN ISLAND IN NORTH CAROLINA! We left the window unit on 71 the whole time and I'm sure the room never got to 71 degrees but it was comfortable either way... again this is something you should expect when renting a room in a lodge that was built in the 1930's. These things were so small they didn't bother us at all. or hinder our vacation in any way!

The only complaint I have is the pillows... they were TERRIBLE... almost flat! Even sleeping on two of the pillows was close to sleeping on nothing! I really wish we had taken our own pillows with us and next time we will! The mattress was VERY comfortable and if it weren't for the pillows I would have slept better than I do at home!

If you smoke get a room with a balcony my boyfriend had to walk downstairs when he wanted to smoke... my reply was since he's doing something so unhealthy he can at least counter-act it with some walking!

I would recommend this place to anyone who will understand that they are staying in a historical home (all part of the Ocracoke experience) and not a Hilton! Overall the lodge was charming, and just what we were expecting!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank enjoyineachother
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ocracoke
Sea Gull Motel
#6 of 11 in Hatteras Island
Castle on Silver Lake
Castle on Silver Lake
#3 of 7 in Ocracoke

Been to Blackbeard's Lodge? Share your experiences!