“Nice place to stay”

Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Ocracoke
Beaufort, North Carolina
“Nice place to stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2011

The bed was comfortable. The room was clean. The locks seemed iffy and one of the windows didn't lock at all (opens to a shared porch with stairs leading to the ground). Overall, a good place to stay for the price.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank OnTheWaterNC

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
�����
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2011

So, I realized as I opened the door to my very "back to the basics" room at Blackbeard's Lodge that you don't go to Ocracoke looking for high rises and world class amenities. Here's where you get away from all of that stuff and travel back in time.

Blackbeard's reminded me of sleep away summer camp and family trips to the beach all in one. Our room was simple, the walls were thin, and that was just fine! I got nice, relaxing nights of sleep here and some good, friendly service from the knowledgable front desk staff.

There are plenty of places to hang out around the lodge. There is a lovely porch, a comfortable sitting room, and the game room. Everything you need is just a short stroll away.

Some of the other guests smoked like chimneys while I was there, and I was just thinking "Ahhhhh, Down East..." Luckily, Blackbeard's only permits smoking outside.

All and all I'd recommend Blackbeard's to anyone who wants to step back in time before hotels were all mass produced chains and enjoy a place with some heart and character. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank scherndo
Hatteras Island, North Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2011

Charming place and the kind of room that reminds me of motel travel back in the 60's. Everything was clean and the staff very nice. However, our room had only a small space hearter and it was a loud unit that cycled off and on at short intervals. We had to choose between sleeping and freezing. They also nailed us an extra $20.00 for having a dog which was a surprize since there was not a scrap of carpet anywhere in our room that could have required any special cleaning. This may be a nice place for warm weather but bring your own electric blanket when the weather is cool!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank BobPeltzer
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2011

We stayed at Blackbeard's Lodge for the first time and it was a wonderful experience. The Lodge is situated right in the center of Ocracoke village, making it easy to get to all shops and restaurants. The room we stayed in was comfortable and the suite was perfect for traveling with another couple. It was affordable, clean and the staff was friendly and accomodating. Best of all, there is a game room, pool and bikes and golf carts for rent.
I would highly recommend Blackbeard's when visiting Ocracoke.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank MKR3
Statesville, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2011

The staff was wonderful and patient. From the time they took my call to book the resesrvation and answsered my questioned (I know it's an island, but do I need to take a boat to get there??) until the time I left and they gave great tips to see on the way home, they were great.

Very knowledgable on local history and lore and very open to offering suggestions for activities based on our interest.

The room was beautiful, far better than I had expected, a great value!

I am going back in the fall and considering going for New Years, as well.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Carr_Family_28677
Norfolk, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2010

I stayed with my dog in a pet friendly room at Blackbeard's for one night. Front desk personnel were friendly and the room was clean and comfortable. The walls are a little thin, but I turned the window unit air conditioner on to fan and slept really well. You can't beat Blackbeard's because they are in the heart of Ocracoke, close to shopping and restaurants. The great Back Porch restaurant is just across the street. This was one of the cleaner places I've stayed in while on Ocracoke.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
3 Thank RLTNH
Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2010

We have been going to Blackbeards annually for 4 or 5 years. We've stayed in the North Apartment, the Williams Suite and even one of the small rooms which was a little cramped, but we knew that when we made the reservation. The hotel is always clean and if we ever need anything we simply ask. WiFi is available in the common areas, but let's face it, you're on vacation, its ok not to be "connected"!! I have a pre-teen son who loves the game room...it is open from 9am to 9pm...he has met new friends each trip. I have read the negative comments and have never had the same experiences described. The owners and staff are wonderful!! If you are looking for 4/5-Star accomodations and nightlife, you simply won't find them on Ocracoke, try somewhere else. The charm of Ocracoke is that the environment allows us to relax and unwind. We have enjoyed getting to know many residents on the island by patronizing their shops and restaurants and have never had a bad experience. My rule when we hit the island is "no driving"....we walk, run or bike wherever we go....even when we're headed to the beach. We're already looking forward to our next stay at Blackbeards and visiting our favorite places on OINC!!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank MarthaGail
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ocracoke
The Breakwater Inn
Hatteras Sands Campground
Hatteras Sands Campground
#9 of 15 in Hatteras Island
Hatteras Harbor Marina and Motel

Been to Blackbeard's Lodge? Share your experiences!