“Not Here!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Captain's Landing Waterfront Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ocracoke
Captain's Landing Waterfront Inn
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Ocracoke
Dallas, Texas
“Not Here!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013

If you are looking to feel confident about your stay at Captains Landing on Ocracoke, READ THIS!

On July 12th I contacted Captain's Landing, inquiring about the Penthouse for a 2 night stay. I spoke to a very nice woman named Ann (Anne?) who, after a brief conversation made an offer to give we 2 couples the Penthouse for 3 nights, during the week of September 7- September 15, 2013, not the 2 nights we originally sought. She said they normally hold out to rent rooms and cottages by the week, but knew her clientele and felt filling up the prior 4 nights leading to our stay would not be particularly difficult. And, as a special nicety, she offered to take $20 dollars off the normal rate per night since we were agreeing to stay 1 more night than initially desired. It was a win/win situation, and her offer was the hallmark of a savvy business woman: guarantee income for her business while making a genuine and heartfelt effort to please her customers, thereby encouraging them to speak positively about the business, refer folks to it, and return again themselves. I thanked her for her kindness and told her I had to discuss this with the other couple, but would get back to her.

On July 16th I called back to book the room at the agreed upon length and rate, only this time instead of Ann, I got "George" who, unlike Ann, flat-out refused to honor the offer, and went so far as to contend...absurdly...that Ann had never MADE such an offer! Having it inferred that I, a guy trying to give George my money was liar was a bit stupifying, but I made plain in no uncertain terms that I spoke the truth and went into some detail to prove it. Having done so successfully, (I sensed George knew from the start I was telling the truth, and was merely coasting through a well-worn list of reasons to deny us), George moved to citing "rules and procedures" as the excuse for his refusal to honor the offer; presumably the "Rules and Procedures" George himself set up (for all I know during the phone call)!! Then in what I interpreted as an attempt to placate me, he twice offered a cottage we had no desire to stay in! George displayed no interest in satisfying this customer, or merely honoring the deal his own rep negotiated! Nor did he appear to care a whit about negative press or making potential customers unhappy. Didn't matter at all. This what you are looking for in hotel management? Figure if they don't need your business because they are one of a modest few in a given area and they'll get people no matter WHAT level of service they provide, your stay will be qualitative? I suggest you think some more.

Instead it felt as if this was singularly about lining George's pocket, guaranteeing him money from the cottage, while he held out for booking more folks perhaps/perhaps not for longer stays in the Penthouse...the room we had already determined was the single one that fit our particular needs that trip. Did he have ANY reservation for the Penthouse that week? No, he admitted he didn't. Yet rather than follow the basic ethical business practices of any qualitative business by honoring offers made by their official representatives, George decided too bad for us, and refused us the room his associate Ann had guaranteed. I acknowledged a business owner (if that is what George is) can indeed pull the rug out from under customers and potential customers as he wishes, unflattering a picture though that paints. But George seemed sufficiently comfortable with that picture to offer no reply beyond a hollow "Would you like me to put you on a wait list?" The fella won't honor his rep's word, but I'm supposed to trust him to place me on a wait list, let alone call if there's a vacancy? Based on what evidence?

I highly recommend folks consider not merely if this is the nicest physical place to stay on Ocracoke from a GOOD NUMBER OF CHOICES AVAILABLE, but as if not more importantly, what they will do if George, as a previous reviewer succinctly pointed out, becomes nasty or rude, or perhaps tells you "I don't care if you had a reservation or not, take a hike!" In other words, it is my opinion that a man like George who refuses to honor the word of his own representative undermines all qualities a given place may have, and on a whim, can seriously mess up one's vacation and relaxation plans--just like he did ours, willfully and after being given several opportunities to do the right thing. No, none of us will be forgetting George and Captain's Landing...for all the wrong reasons. Performances like George's make the watchwords of any trip to Ocracoke and Captain's Landing: "BUYER BEWARE!" Almost forgot. NO CANCELLATION POLICY per se. They want half up front when you book, and the balance 30 days before you ever arrive, as if you were renting a home on a beach, or a room at a massive resort filled with amenities! Ann told me if we had to cancel, "We'll try to work with you." She told me the reservation went through a local real estate office, and the only sure-fire cancellation protection was gleaned solely by PURCHASING INSURANCE FROM THEM. Needless to say, had my dealings been strictly with Ann in the case of a cancellation, I would have felt much more comfortable that she truly would try to find folks to fill the vacancy, and return the majority if not all of my prepaid money. But with a fella like George on the scene...?

Thankfully we ended up at Anchorage Inn on Okracoke, which was indeed, quite nice. Look for my review of Anchorage Inn. As for George? If you are like us, he doesn't appear to need you. And if his performance is standard, you probably do not need him! Captain's Landing is far from the only game in town. If you say, "Well look at all the positive reviews Captain's Landing has," my response is simply that sure, apparently George can behave like a reasonable person, maybe even be nice sometimes. Or, maybe Ann is around a lot, and she IS a reasonable AND nice person! But Ocracoke isn't 2 feet away. You will go through some pretty long driving plus ferry travel to get there. If you cannot trust a hotelier to honor the deal you had, or not to go deep end with nasty and rude behavior as another reviewer mentioned, you have to determine if you are going to roll the dice and hope George is in a good mood, or George is feeling reasonable, or George will honor your agreed-upon deal. Ocracoke is a long way to go only to discover you came on a "Bad George Day." No authentically classy or just plain ethical business runs based on wishy washy reservations or room offers that for no reason beyond "I don't want to honor that" may not be awaiting you after such long travel. Or short travel for that matter. Then again, this is purely your decision to make and your dice to roll. Last word: setting George's behavior aside, the cancellation policy alone is VERY REVEALING. It tells me customers are the enemy. Pay in full and in advance? If a problem arises "we'll TRY to work with you...??" The key here in my opinion is, this place wants the money first, second, third and always. You being happy? Maybe that's not the actual top priority here, eh? Well, except perhaps the days George feels like it...

Believe me. I was just on Ocracoke. There are a good many places to stay, and Anchorage Inn was quite satisfactory.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
23 Thank voice2love

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Annapolis, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2013

We have stayed at other places on Ocracoke (all good), but Captain's Landing has proved to be the VERY BEST. The location, cleanliness, accommodations, and friendliness/efficiency of the staff make it VERY RELAXING and ENJOYABLE!!!

Room Tip: All the rooms have a beautiful view of Silver Lake Harbor.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank navynest
North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

I stayed here the first week in August of 2013 with my 11 year old son. (Our friends stayed in another room) The owners were incredibly friendly and helpful. Upon arrival we were given the grand tour. We had a one bedroom suite which was the perfect size for us. Everything was clean and well taken care of and the room was straightened up everyday. A thorough cleaning (with clean sheets, etc. was given midweek) We needed an extra bar of soap later in the week and that was quickly provided.
The kitchen was clean and had all the basic utensils/cooking supplies.(Side note: If you are planning to make meals "at home" I recommend a stop at the Food Lion in Avon before arriving in Ocracoke. The grocery store on Ocracoke has the essentials but it's pricier.)
The location is on the main road and traffic is heavy (by island standards). Also, it is right next door to the Jolly Roger Restaurant which played live music almost every night. It didn't bother us too much but watching a peaceful sunset on the porch is probably not going to happen during the peak season.
My son and I used the bikes (provided for a weekly fee) to get around Ocracoke. It was a bit nerve racking on the busier roads but the owners were able to show us some less traveled routes.
If you are a cat lover then you'll be charmed by the feral cats on the island. There were several of them hanging around the hotel which my son was very smitten with. We are looking forward to returning here some day soon!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank dbgsmm
Norfolk, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013

Our second floor suite was spectacular for the three-day get-away. The balcony was perfect for viewing all activities on Silver Lake and for listening to music from a nearby outdoor eatery in the early evening. Our rooms were fresh, clean and decorated in good taste...the kitchen immaculate. The owner greeted us upon arrival and personally took us to our suite to explain all amenities. It was great to park our car and be able to walk anywhere we desired. The restaurant across the street had some of the best food on the Island and the history of Ocracoke was everywhere within our reach. Some of the friendliest people one could ever hope to meet...galleries, bookstores. And, if you love ferries...come to Ocracoke! Their arrivals and departures can be viewed anytime from the balconies at Captain's Landing. We cannot wait to go back in the fall.

Room Tip: If you enjoy birds, the second floor balconies are the perfect viewing spots to see Pelicans, Egrets...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Peg P
Logan, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2013

Can you believe the owner helped carry our bags up to our room? We were upgraded to a nicer suite on the 2nd floor also. These folks are #1 in my book.

I must also report that right on the street in front of this is one of the very best decoy shops I've seen.

We greatly enjoyed eduardo's taco stand, backporch/dijio's restaurants & maybe 1.25 miles out of town is a great beach. Bring sunscreen! I didn't.

We took the free ferry from Hatteras which is about an hour trip now, and left on the Swan's Quarter ferry $15/2.25 hours and this for us was a quicker way back to Ohio.

Stayed 4 days at Captain's Landing and really enjoyed our stay. Would go back in a minute.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank David N
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2013

We were initially thinking of the new red hotel you can see as you arrive in the harbor but when we got there, it was more like a Holiday Inn - so we stumbled on Capt's Landing and loved it. And it is right across the street from the best restaurant on island. We had cocktails out on the dock and watched the birds and boats - it was beautiful and so tranquil. And a nice add was having two bathrooms. Highly recommend this property.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Hankhi
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2013

We knew nothing of the Outer Banks when we left Australia to drive from Washington down to Savannah and then north to Asheville, Nashville, Memphis and St Louis. It was really just an afterthough - a decision we don't regret.
What a beautiful part of the US! From Newport News to Nag's Head, Ocracoke and then back to the mainland, this was a memorable drive and stay. We hadn't booked ahead but, fortunately, we able to get an upstairs rooms at The Captain's Landing.
The room was spacious, the bed comfy but, best of all, the sunset over the sound was unforgettable on a balmy evening. he only bugbear were the people next door smoking on their balcony. A minor quibble.
We drove to a nearby beach via a dirt road and its white sands and great surf were remiscent of home in Australia.
We were also in awe of the timbers homes on the beaches and how they must be so resilient against storms.
Such a glorious area - thankyou!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Thelonghaul
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ocracoke
The Breakwater Inn
Hatteras Harbor Marina and Motel
Hatteras Sands Campground
Hatteras Sands Campground
#9 of 15 in Hatteras Island

Been to Captain's Landing Waterfront Inn? Share your experiences!