Edwards of Ocracoke Rooms and Cottages
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Sea Gull Motel(Hatteras Island)
$131
Priceline
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewscourtyard roomscreened in porchoffice hoursalarm clockride bikesshopping and restaurantsthe main dragin seasonstep back in timewonderful staythe outer bankslocation is greatlaid backretrounitislandbert
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 14, 2013

My husband and I had the very good fortune of finding a great vacation cottage on Ocracoke Island, NC. We stayed in cottage #16 which is part of a complex of cottages and rooms owned by Edwards of Ocracoke. This cottage was immaculately clean, and had everything we needed for a comfortable stay away from home. The queen bed was comfortable and the bedroom is a nice size. There are many windows which we took advantage of to catch the cooling sea breezes at night. The bathroom is small but clean and the shower has good water pressure. The kitchen is well equipped and the owners have collected some really nice retro dishes and furniture and decorative paint by number paintings that we just loved. Other positives include: A space under the cottage for your vehicle, reasonable bicycle rental from the proprietor, a washer and dryer on the premises for a small fee, a hammock, fish station, outdoor spray for sandy feet and gear, a great big front porch which is screened in and has a picnic table and two rockers. All this for a very reasonable fee compared to other cottage rentals and the owners have an office in the complex if you need help or have questions. Oh, and I must mention that we were provided with enough towels and sheets with midweek exchanges. I cannot say enough nice things about Edwards of Ocracoke. They have many cottage options as well as a small complex of single rooms to rent. All of this is central to the many shops, restaurants, the grocery store, and a short bike to the beach, Springer's Point Nature Trail, the harbor, the NPS visitors center, and the museum. The only suggestion we might have would be a few hooks on the wall for hats and jackets, but there is a nice closet with hangers provided. We loved our stay here and hope to return!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank MountainMama02
Reviewed October 8, 2013

I am, sadly, back home from a wonderful road trip through the South, which included a night on Ocracoke. First, let me say that Ocracoke is fabulous, and you all should go there. We walked in to Edwards without a reservation (chosen based on Trip Advisor reviews), and settled on a nice-sized motel room with two double beds--the smallest room available. That's not a problem, of course. The rooms at Edwards are decorated as though this was perhaps 1963, and in some places that means the furnishings have been there that long. However, at Edwards the furnishings looked brand new and in great condition, except for mid-century antiques, added for accent. There was a full-sized fridge and a smallish TV in the corner, as well. Everything was charming, immaculately clean and well-kept. The motel rooms are centered around a courtyard, with a swing, small garden area, etc. It's within walking distance to nearly everything--we didn't move our car once we arrived. Two downsides--1) we didn't love the very firm mattress, and 2) in our room, the shower was tiny (we did see another room, which had a much larger shower). Otherwise, this was a great choice, and I would stay there again in a heartbeat.

Reviewed September 23, 2013

Exceptionally clean. Exceptionally quiet. With four windows, our end unit was bright and cheery. The location is within walking distance of everything in the village, from the lighthouse to the visitors center. We parked our car less than 40 feet from the door and seldom used it during our stay. Good restaurants serving brunch and dinner are just down the street. September is an ideal time to visit. Populated but no crowds.

Reviewed September 23, 2013

Started going to Ocracoke back in 98, and have always stayed at Edwards. It is always clean and very inviting. It has as the charm of the old beach cottage which I always like, and the family enjoyed as well. This past week we stayed in one of the complex cottages for the first time, and it was excellent. It was awesome having a place to fix our meals, also the large porch where the family could chill and talk about the adventures of the day.

Room Tip: If a couple, get the Bungalow, if a family trip where you want separate bedrooms, get one fo the cottages.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 12, 2013

I happen to like old motels with some individuality, provided that they are clean and well-cared-for. Edwards fit the bill perfectly. The price was quite reasonable, too. No, they don't have luxury sheets or large beds and I was reminded why I don't particularly like double beds (my feet hang off the end), but those are personal issues. This place would have earned a high rating based solely on its cleanliness. I don't think I've ever stayed anywhere this clean. Usually older places have some residual grunge somewhere, but either the redo was the week before I arrived or they have very high standards. I felt bad one day when we returned because the housekeeper had washed, dried and put away our coffee mugs that we'd left in the sink - I certainly wasn't expecting anyone to scour the sink during a 3-night stay. We enjoyed our tiny screen porch and the quiet neighborhood as well. My only nitpicks are that the A/C gave off a faint chemical smell when it kicked on and the shower is the smallest one I've ever been in.

Room Tip: Efficiency #2 is on the end away from the parking area.