“A Slice of Heaven on Island Time!”
Review of Sand Dollar Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ocracoke
Sand Dollar Motel
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Ocracoke
Reviewed May 18, 2014

I've been coming to Ocracoke at least once a year for many, many years now. The Sand Dollar is, by far, my favorite place to stay. It doesn't matter if it is your first visit or you are a veteran guest...Roger and Linda treat you like you are a guest in their home! My husband and I usually fly in to the air strip and call for a ride to the motel....They are always there within a few minutes and catch us up on local events, island growth, etc. The motel is immaculately clean without exception! The grounds and pool area are equally clean, well maintained and welcoming. I simply can't say enough about the comfort, cleanliness and hospitality!

My daughter was talking about Ocracoke today and I told her about my recent visit....we fondly remembered the time when, years ago, she left her beloved "puppy" (the stuffed animal that will be around forever) behind at the Sand Dollar following a summer visit. She was distraught! I called Roger and explained, asking him to please mail "Puppy" to us and I would gladly pay for shipping. As it happened, he was going to be making a visit to our hometown the following day and delivered Puppy to a local merchant for me.

I gladly recommend the Sand Dollar for a couples, solo, or family visit...it is truly a little slice of Heaven.

Room Tip: The queen suite is my favorite due to the privacy (enclosed patio) and the convenience of a kitchene...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Lisa B

Reviewed May 4, 2014

We had 4 days reserved at the Sand Dollar in April but had major weather issues and the ferries weren't running! We ended up 2 days late, which the wonderful Roger (manager) didn't charge us for. THEN, we got stuck ON the island with the SAME weather issues. Roger was kind enough to let us check out (and back in when the ferries weren't running) on a daily basis. We'd pack up when the ferries were running and get there and they'd shut down! Our unit 9, with 3 double beds and 2 bathrooms was perfect for us and immaculately clean. Roger was really wonderful to talk too and I've never felt so welcome at any other motel or hotel. Would love to return.

Room Tip: I was traveling with my mother and son so having three beds was fantastic (and really rare!)
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank BLMMacungie
Reviewed April 20, 2014

My husband and I decided to spend our vacation (4/7/14 - 4/11/14) doing a road trip of the OBX. We found this cute little motel in a brochure. What a jewel!! It was cute as a button and neat as a pin! Office staff was so friendly, room was spotless, beds were comfy, price was right! Would most definitely stay there again!!!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LuLu_n_SC
Reviewed March 17, 2014

We stayed in the 2 BR "Keepin' Time" cottage and it was exactly what we needed. The cottage was recently redone, spotlessly clean with linens provided, had a full kitchen and all the necessary conveniences to include a small front yard and rocking chairs on the screened front porch. Check in and out was a breeze. I give it 5 stars not because it was luxurious or fancy but bacause it was very reasonably priced and met our needs, for a perfect getaway to a beautiful, quiet island in March and bacause Tommy, the owner, is perhaps the friendliest and most helpful person I've ever come in contact with. We will return!

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Goneagain914
Reviewed December 15, 2013

The two of us spent a night here after spending several days at a high-rise corporate hotel in Nags Head. The Sand Dollar was a refreshing change! Yes there was no cheap waffle and donut breakfast or flat screen TV, but our tiny room was cozy and the bathroom newly renovated and updated. Everything was spotlessly clean, the owner at the desk very helpful and the price excellent.

All in all this motel perfectly pairs with the art culture feel of Ocracoke, and it is a very thrifty alternative to the nice but more costly B&Bs. Will definitely return here the next time we get out to OBX!

Room Tip: Not a good bet if you are in a wheelchair or walker as this property was built when Elvis was still...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 26, 2013

This little motel is nothing fancy or luxurious, but the rooms, though small, were clean and in good repair. it didn't smell musty or moldy and the beds were comfortable The desk clerk was friendly and helpful and we would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed October 24, 2013

Was there for a few days for a family function on Oct 5 and 6, really enjoyed it,
all the reviews are dead on true, Roger is a wealth of knowledge of places and things to do and history of Ocracoke.
The room attendants were very helpful and do a great job! also they are very happy which tells me it is a great place and they care about the guest,

Would stay again in a heart beat ,

Erik and the girls.

Room Tip: ask Roger, the manager, He will offer a suggestion on your needs.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ocracoke
Sea Gull Motel
#6 of 11 in Hatteras Island
Castle on Silver Lake
Castle on Silver Lake
#3 of 7 in Ocracoke

Been to Sand Dollar Motel? Share your experiences!