The Silver Lake Motel & Inn
Sea Gull Motel(Hatteras Island)
$131
Priceline
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsthe jolly rogerbagelscontinental breakfastwould stay here againdeck overlookingrocking chairshot waterawesome place to staywithin walking distanceliving areathe location is perfectcovered porchocracoke islandcoffee and juicefirst floorwonderful placebeautiful view
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 29, 2013 via mobile

If you stay, expect VERY rustic accommodations. The room was tiny, there was no coffee pot and as far as we could tell nowhere nearby to get coffee before 8 am, the mini fridge was rusting and leaky, and the beds extremely creaky. Worst of all, the room we reserved was not equipped with heat (this was not mentioned when we made the reservation). Temperatures were in the 40's when we arrived, so obviously this was a problem. We were given a standard room in exchange (no balcony, double rather than queen bed, no view) but the front desk clerk would not adjust the rate. All in all, it was a very disappointing experience.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Pinky8889
OcracokeBeachBum, Rental Manager Ocracoke Island Realty at The Silver Lake Motel & Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2013

Thank you for alerting us to your disappointment in your accomodations. We are in the process of updating all the rooms at the Silver Lake Motel and Inn and appreciate the feedback. On our list for this winter is to evaluate the mattresses and look for additional amenities that we can add to increase your comfort. Coffee pots in the rooms are definitely on the list! Some of the rooms do not have heat, and we apologize for the inconvenience of having to switch rooms for you - depending on when your reservation was made the desk clerk may not have even thought about heat being an issue. We do hope that you will give us another chance, we ahve a great location and are working hard to constantly improve our amenities and service. Thank you for choosing the Silver Lake Motel and Inn for your getaway!

Reviewed October 29, 2013

We rented room/suite 204 for two nights (Sat. and Sun) for our anniversary. The room was very clean and well furnished...if you see reviews here that say otherwise, they are not true. We were both VERY happy with the room itself.
We had two experiences with the customer service. Booking was very easy and pleasant. A lady even called me a few days prior to our stay to let me know that although they were officially closing for the season on Sunday, there would be no problem with us checking out as planned on Monday morning. She just didn't want us to be surprised that no other people were there, etc. That was very nice of her and much appreciated.
Our second experience was upsetting. We checked in at 3 on Saturday and stayed in that evening. When we got moving on Sunday morning, we realized that our car battery was too low on charge to start our car. I always pack jumper cables for such an emergency so I went to the front office to ask if I might be able to get a jump from one of their vehicles. The bearded man (I didn't get his name) on duty was standing in the doorway to the "staff area" and around the corner, out of my view was someone he was talking with (a female voice). I told him our situation and asked for a jump. His response was insulting. He sighed and rolled his head and eyes around to the unseen female with whom he was talking. Then looking back at me he stepped forward and said with a shrug, "We're all on bikes" . He then mentioned "Beach Tow", a towing service, but did not offer to help me find the number. Finally, he casually gazed across the street to the fish market and suggested maybe I could find a jump over there. My wife and I both saw the lady who told me she was the one who called to tell me about the Motel closing drive up the previous afternoon in a blue four-door Jeep Wrangler. I'm fairly certain she was the one the bearded man was talking to, because that same Jeep was parked out front when I went in for help.
I totally get it if this guy thought I was some random tourist asking for a jump. But we were his guests. And although he or anyone in charge of the Silver Lake Motel and Inn were under no obligation to provide me the service of helping me jump my vehicle, it would have been a nice thing to do. It would have been the RIGHT thing to do. Instead, I was treated like an unwanted problem and lied to.
Great room! My wife and I are actually bummed that our experience will prevent us from ever staying there again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Roger R
OcracokeBeachBum, Rental Manager at Ocracoke Island Realty at The Silver Lake Motel & Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2013

Please accept our sincerest apologies for the lack of assistance provided to you and your wife and the manner in which you were treated. We most certainly do not condone this type of service, and strive to assist our guests to the best of our potential. At the very least we could have helped you with the phone number to beach towing. This situation will be addressed and we do hope that you will give us another opportunity to host your family here on Ocracoke. We appreciate your business, and hope to see you again soon! Thank you for choosing the Silver Lake Motel and Inn for your Ocracoke vacation.

Reviewed October 28, 2013

We stayed for the 1st Pirate Jamboree and a romantic get away! We loved our stay, we stayed in room 208, the hammock outside our room had a view of the lighthouse and all the pirate activities happening! We look forward to coming back and staying again, loved the location, we walked everywhere, and the locals were great! Highly recommend room 208 if traveling with kids, kitchen was great!

• Stayed: October 2013
oldobxer, Public Relations Manager at The Silver Lake Motel & Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2013

The Pirate Jamboree is always so much fun! I am happy to hear you enjoyed it. Walking everywhere, or riding a bike, is the best way to get around on Ocracoke, I agree. It was very nice of you to specify which room you stayed in as we always get comments and inquiries when a reviewer does mention the exact room...so thank you. Please do come back, anytime.

Reviewed October 15, 2013

We have always wondered what this motel is like after 30 years trying other accommodations we finally tried the Silver Lake Motel and Inn. It is clean and offers a continental breakfast. There is a small refrigerator in our small room. The Motel is closer to the heart of the village and across the street from the water but it difficult to see the water for the trees. The prices are higher than other accommodations. We liked the Silver Lake Motel and Inn but did not think the rates match the value. We may be more price-conscious than others. Housekeeping missed our room once during our three day stay. Customer service was lacking at the Silver Lake but few places on Ocracoke are known for great customer service. It is not that kind of island. Tourists are often endured.

Room Tip: The bigger suites have very nice water views but the smaller motel rooms are lacking. Window AC units are LOUD. We tried the Silver Lake as a three day treat instead of the usual places elsewhere. We were not WOW'd and cannot justify the higher rates for ourselves.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MTuckerPBO
oldobxer, Public Relations Manager at The Silver Lake Motel & Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2013

I always enjoy hearing from long time visitors to Ocracoke and thank you for giving our inn a try. Please consider staying with us again when you return to the island.

Reviewed October 11, 2013

Loved the suite we stayed in...three balconies, two with hammocks overlooking the harbor-gorgeous views. We had two baths and a full kitchen It was clean, but in need of some repairs, and the mattresses/boxsprings were less than desirable--could not move with out waking every one in ear shot!( I understand they are renovating/updating all of the rooms so hopefully that will take care of that problem!) However, the staff was great, as were the breakfasts, and the location was just perfect..next door to OINCs BBQ, around the corner from the bike rental/ice cream shop, and across the road from the Jolly Roger restaurant and bar! We went just after peak season so it wasn't too noisy at night. Great weekend... would stay here again..

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
oldobxer, Public Relations Manager at The Silver Lake Motel & Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2013

We appreciate every review we get here so thank you very much for taking the time to post your comments. We are in a perfect location...it just does not get much better here on Ocracoke.

We are planning on some more renovations and refurbishments this winter including mattresses in many rooms so the next time you come here it will hopefully not be an issue.

It sounds like you took advantage of some of our favorite places here and you did pick a wonderful time to stay. Please do come back and thank you again.