“Our favorite place on the island!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ocracoke
The Silver Lake Motel & Inn
Ranked #8 of 9 Hotels in Ocracoke
Morehead City, North Carolina
“Our favorite place on the island!”
Reviewed September 10, 2012

Silver Lake Inn quickly became our favorite place to stay on Ocracoke. We first stayed there three years ago, and have stayed there every trip since then! My husband and I have fallen in love with the "Sunset Suite", with the private balconies and the old bar inside the room. Our favorite thing to do is sit on the porch and watch the island "wake up" in the morning. The rustic feel of the hotel is perfect with the atmosphere of the island. You can't help but relax and have a good time at this location! The only complaint I have is that I can't live in the room year round! We are so glad that we met Patty and get to stay here every year for our anniversary - we couldn't ask for anything better. Thank you for a wonderful vacation!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Alaina G
oldobxer, Public Relations Manager at The Silver Lake Motel & Inn, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
Wow...we really liked reading your review. Thank you so much for letting others know that you had a good stay at the Silver Lake Motel and Inn. And a belated happy anniversary too. I feel the same way you do about the early morning; so peaceful and quiet and beautiful. It gets my days off to a good start. See you next year and thanks again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Wilmington, North Carolina
Reviewed September 4, 2012

For us, this was perfect for a weekend away. I have been ill and knew I wouldn't be able to go out much, so we got a room with a private front-facing porch. In fact, our room used to be the bar, they said, and it had a two-story porch, sort of a crow's nest up top. We got takeout and sat on the porch in the evenings listening to music from the bar across the street and watching the water, the sunset, the boats, the paddleboarders, and people going by on bikes. We were even able to dance up there on our porch by ourselves! It's a great place to watch everything going on in Ocracoke. I think most of the motel porches are shared (one long landing) and most of the inn porches private, from what I could see. It's probably not the quietest place in town, but there wasn't any significant noise by ten or so. The downsides were what we had seen in previous reviews- somewhat uncomfortable beds and some bugs (I think four big spiders and a cockroach). I always feel like that comes with the climate and the time of year, but I know some people would mind. Breakfast was simple but just fine- pastries, fruit, oatmeal packets, cereal, juice, coffee. The price for the stay seemed to be low compared to what looked like comparable places, according to reviews and pictures. My husband got good advice from the front desk staff on ferries, food, and the beach. We really enjoyed the weekend.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Erin B
oldobxer, Public Relations Manager at The Silver Lake Motel & Inn, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
It is always rewarding to hear when one of our guests relay that they had a good stay with us. Thank you for sharing your comments here on Trip Advisor. September is truly one of the loveliest times to be on Ocracoke Island; the rates drop some, less people and great weather. We will check out the bedding issue you mentioned although the mattresses were replaced this year. As for the spiders...I don't like them either but island life dictates that you have to put up with them to a certain extent and thank you for your understanding about that. Glad you enjoyed the views and the music too! Please come back when you can
Allentown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 23, 2012

We were passing thru Ocracoke on our way home from Charleston and stayed at the Silver Lake Motel for 2 nights. It was everything we thought it would be.
This isn't the Marriott, so if you are looking for luxury, move on. But if you are looking for a great island location, with clean, comfortable rooms at a good price, this is the place for you.
The view of Silver Lake was wonderful. Breakfast was adequate, and the staff was very nice.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
oldobxer, Public Relations Manager at The Silver Lake Motel & Inn, responded to this review, August 25, 2012
Thanks for staying at the Silver Lake Motel and Inn. Your review pretty much sums up our place...we are not a luxury hotel and don't claim to be. Hopefully our guests will agree that our rooms are clean and comfortable and priced right. And as for location. it is the best, you are right again! If you get a chance to head back our way please consider staying with us again.
New Bedford, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 22, 2012

Having seen lots of reviews about this place and responses to the bad reviews about how the motel is on the mend I thought I'd give it a try but I regret having done so. The breakfast was OK. The service was good. But that first night's sleep was rough. I can sleep pretty well anywhere, having been in hostiles in Brazil and western Europe, but these mattresses (which I thought had been replaced according to previous responses to reviews) were creaky and stiff... i.e. after the nuclear holocaust, the only thing left will be Twinkies, cockroaches, and these mattresses. I can't get out of my head how rock solid the beds were. I couldn't sleep on my side at all. The rooms in the motel are also very grungy, musty and dated, and not in a quirky beach town sort of way, more like a cabin from the 50's. My advice would be to spend the extra money and go elsewhere.

1 Thank Ciabatta949
oldobxer, Rental Manager Ocracoke Island Realty at The Silver Lake Motel & Inn, responded to this review, August 27, 2012
Thank you for your feedback. We replaced many of the old mattresses in the Inn this spring, approximately 25 or so, as they were the most in need, and will certainly check on the ones in the Motel this winter. Our understanding was that these had been replaced within the last few years. We also hope to upgrade the bedding and decor this winter as well. We appreciate you taking the time to post your thoughts here and will keep striving to improve our accomodations each year. Thank you.
Greensboro, North Carolina
Reviewed August 19, 2012

I believe the mattress could have been more comfortable. Perhaps a mattress pad would have helped. Also we stayed in the suite & the one bathroom was a little imconvient. We really loved the hammock on our porch. It was nice to go out there every night. oh & staff was happy & cheerful!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
oldobxer, Public Relations Manager at The Silver Lake Motel & Inn, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
As you can see we do read each and every review and we want to thank you for your comments about your stay at Silver Lake Motel and Inn and for staying with us as well.

The front desk manager and the rental manager see these reviews too and we use them to help us provide better service and accommodations to future guests.

The hammocks are great, I agree! And I am glad you found our staff happy and cheerful. It is hard not to be when you live in paradise.

Thank you again and I hope you are able to return to Ocracoke and also to Silver Lake Motel and Inn.
Lewiston, Idaho
Reviewed August 7, 2012

I just returned from 2 night stay at the Silver Lake Motel and Inn. My daughter and I were able to check in early upon arrival from the ferry and were greeted pleasantly. The room is very basic and nowhere near the luxury of a chain hotel. However, the reason you go to Okracoke is to experience something unique. The setting is very lively with music from the Jolly Roger. We could sit on the marvelous rocking chairs with our own beer, listen to the music, and talk with neighbors. A nice continental breakfast was provided in the morning, as well as bagged ice whenever needed. This made trips to the beach so much easier. All stores and restaurants were within walking distance. The beds were "squeaky" but comfortable, the bathroom clean but tiny, and the room was very clean and cool. I would return again.

Room Tip: I like Room 15 due to the wonderful shade. Others had a better view but no shade in the afternoon.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
oldobxer, Public Relations Manager at The Silver Lake Motel & Inn, responded to this review, August 8, 2012
I want to personally thank you for the review you wrote about the Silver Lake Motel and Inn. You explained it just right. We are NOT a luxury chain, we are a family owned, laid back, friendly place to stay on a wonderful little island. We always enjoy hearing that our guests had a good stay with us. We feel Ocracoke is unique too and while it may not be for everyone, we love it and know many of our visitors do as well. Thank you again for sharing your thoughts here.
USA
Reviewed July 25, 2012

Time to get new mattresses. I eneded up with a backache. Very nice staff and ok breakfast. Geat location. I think if they replaced the mattresses it would have in fact been fine. Comfort is so very important. Great views from the rooms.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank halfgreen
oldobxer, Public Relations Manager at The Silver Lake Motel & Inn, responded to this review, August 2, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to send in a review, we appreciate it. About those beds, the Silver Lake Motel and Inn is now under new management and the mattresses have been replaced so we hope you will come back and give us another try. We totally agree that a comfortable nights sleep is of the utmost importance during your vacation...or anytime...and feel that with our refurbishments this will not be a concern any longer.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ocracoke
Sea Gull Motel
Hatteras Sands Campground
Hatteras Sands Campground
#8 of 16 in Hatteras Island
Hatteras Harbor Marina and Motel

Been to The Silver Lake Motel & Inn? Share your experiences!