“WILL stay here again!!!”

Castle on Silver Lake
Ranked #3 of 7 Ocracoke B&B and Inns
Wood Dale, Illinois
“WILL stay here again!!!”
Reviewed August 17, 2013

So, we were in the Harbor Room, a nice big room that is fully finished in wood with with excellent joinery and detail. The views were spectacular and the building made our imagination wander to the times of sail...that these accomodations would be fit for a captain (if he were ever to be ashore). The morning breakfast was great and the Castle is close to pretty much everything in town. There is ample parking and the grounds are simply beautiful. The only issue I found was that the plugs in the room were not three-prong. I had to plug the laptop into the GFIC outlet in the bathroom. As I am writing this, I am sitting in the "sitting room" in between our room and the bathroom. LOL! Seriously, if this is the only thing wrong with the place, I will tak ethis all day long on any vacation! We will stay here again and are already telling our friends and planning our next stay here. One other thing we absolutely LOVED was the fact that they did not frown on us bringing our 13-year old with. She was going to bring a friend but it didn't work out. They owners were fine with it. Oftentimes B&Bs don't like kids. Our kids behave (we don't believe inletting the kids run rampant and act like fools). We appreciate a B&B that can treat everyone like adults and have the expectations for the same from everyone. We love it here! Geez... I'm already writing a review and wanting to come back...we haven't even left yet after the first time!

Room Tip: CALL ahead and talk to the staff. They will help you choose a room if you are honest about your need...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Boathouse98
obxjm, Public Relations Manager at Castle on Silver Lake, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
I think you might want to take up a career in writing for travel brochures...you gave a lot of information in an easy to read post, the kind most people like to read. Thank you for sharing your good experience at The Castle on Silver Lake. We do like what we do here and hope that all of our guests feel comfortable and welcome. Please do come back, we would love to see you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Swansboro, North Carolina
Reviewed August 16, 2013

My fiance and I fell in love a year ago while camping on Ocracoke and we went back and stayed at the Castle in July. The location is perfect, very close to the center of town and at night we walked across the street to the dock overlooking the water with a glass of wine. It's a quick bike ride to the lighthouse, ocean or virtually anything. Our room was very spacious, the breakfast was excellent and the pool was clean. We appreciated the free bikes, however were disappointed that often they would be "checked out" yet we could see that people were really just storing them in places to keep for themselves rather than sharing. We ended up renting our own bikes one night because every time we looked the bikes continued to be "checked out" even though you could easily walk around and see 6 or 7 that were not being used.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
obxjm, Public Relations Manager at Castle on Silver Lake, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
We are glad you came back to our island and decided to stay at The Castle. It sounds like you picked up the feel of Ocracoke very quickly and we are always happy to hear that our guests found the accommodations comfortable. Our breakfasts are almost always mentioned in the reviews we receive and I am glad to hear you enjoyed yours.

As for the checked out bikes, I have forwarded your review to our innkeeper, Maybe we can come up with a different system. Thank you for letting us know that there was an issue.

Please come back...as soon as you can!
Reviewed August 1, 2013

We had so much fun at The castle. Our every need was met, and the staff went out of their way to make sure we were comfortable. We were on a 2 week tour of Eastern NC, and a restful stop at this property was just what we needed. We especially enjoyed taking a bottle of wine across the street to the dock over the water in the evening. A beautiful place to spend a vacation....,
Thanks for everything, G/J

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
obxjm, Public Relations Manager at Castle on Silver Lake, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Wow...what a nice review to read...you made our day. We truly work to make sure all of our guests are comfortable and relaxed and feel welcome. Sunsets are spectacular on Ocracoke Island and I hope you were able to catch some of them. Please come back as soon as you can and thank you for your kind words.
Orange Park, Florida
Reviewed July 26, 2013 via mobile

Awesome room on the water. Ask for it. The b&b is across the street but this room is part of it. Pool steam Spa and what a view. .. did I mention the view! Oh and complimentary bikes save yourself the rental fee cause your not driving anywhere.

• Stayed July 2013
obxjm, Guest Relations Manager at Castle on Silver Lake, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
I think you must have stayed in the Castle Villas and my guess is you were in The Net House. The Castle Villas are made of up 1, 2 and 3 bedroom individually owned condos, while the b and b is owned by a small, local company. Villa guests have access to the same amenities as the guests of our bed and breakfast with the exception of breakfast. Regardless, I am happy to hear you had a nice stay and hope you will come back soon. The views are wonderful from the Net House...you are right. Thank you for taking the time to write a review.
Reviewed July 19, 2013

We rented three villa suites for two nights, and were very happy with them. Loved the decor, very clean and comfortable. Staff was very friendly. Only thing would be that in the rooms that had the window A/C units - it was VERY muggy at night. Things in the room were practically damp in the morning. BUT, the unit we had with central A/C? Divinely comfortable. Also loved the large, nice bathrooms and the washer and dryer in the unit. Was able to wash all our clothes from the week before, when we stayed in Buxton.
We'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank K8ln0711
obxjm, Public Relations Manager at Castle on Silver Lake, responded to this review, July 20, 2013
Thank your for your review of your stay at The Castle Villas on Ocracoke Island. The washer and dryer is definitely an amenity that our guests who choose the villas really appreciate. We will check out that window AC unit the unit you stayed in, thanks for that note. I hope you had a good time on Ocracoke. Please come back soon.
Iowa
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Very nice location, close to everything and very clean. A little pricey in my opinion but worth it for the view, location, great breakfast and friendly atmosphere. Free bicycles were a plus, the deck over the dock was great to sit on and watch the sunset and the pool out back was nice if a little small. Plenty of parking and plenty of help from the staff for all our needs.
The rooms were exceptionally clean and the breakfast was very tasty and filling.
Because this was a last minute booking we had to swap rooms after our first night. We preferred the Harbor Room which was very spacious and had a separate dressing room between the bedroom and the bathroom. Katie's Room was comfortable and had a great view.

Room Tip: Harbor Room if you like a lot of space
1 Thank CornGrower
obxjm, Public Relations Manager at Castle on Silver Lake, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Thank you for your review. We are always happy to welcome last minute guests and I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay at The Castle on Silver Lake. I hope you are able to come back when you can spend more time with us on Ocracoke Island.
Reviewed June 26, 2013

My recent stay at The Castle rates among the best vacations I've ever had. This hotel is elegant without being prententious, courteous without being officious, and beautiful without being precious. The landscaping is gorgeous. The perfect beach hotel. The staff was so nice and courteous. Every time I encountered the woman who worked at the desk, she gave me a warm smile and asked if there was anything I needed. I never did need anything...everything was already provided. I ESPECIALLY appreciated that the maid service came after 10 am, allowing me to sleep late and enjoy my vacation to the fullest. I will be back...I promise!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
obxjm, Public Relations Manager at Castle on Silver Lake, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Wow. Thank you. You summed up exactly how we hope each guest feels when they stay at the Castle B&B. I think it is apparent that the staff likes where they live, what they do and the fact that they can share their love of Ocracoke with the guests at the B&B. Please do come back soon. We would love to have you.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ocracoke
The Breakwater Inn
Hatteras Harbor Marina and Motel
Hatteras Sands Campground
Hatteras Sands Campground
#11 of 16 in Hatteras Island

Been to Castle on Silver Lake? Share your experiences!