“Cool historic place!”

Ocracoke Lighthouse
Ranked #1 of 30 things to do in Ocracoke
More attraction details
Owner description: The oldest lighthouse still in operation in North Carolina.
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Since 1999, it has been always a visual pleasure to view the lightouse in daylight and at night. The only drawback is that they don't allow us inside the lighthouse, unlike Cap Hatteras Lighthouse. I wouldn't mind paying VIP fee (up to $50 per head) to climb to the top!

There are newer reviews for Ocracoke Lighthouse

Reviewed September 24, 2012

We rented a golf cart to tour the village and headed out to the lighthouse to get some pictures. Then headed to Teach's Hole Blackbeard Museum. Next we stopped at Island Artworks and that is definitely work checking out for local artisan pieces - some lovely items and the proprietor was extremely pleasant and knowledgeable about the area. We ate at the Jolly Roger Pub and Marina across from our hotel - nice to sit by the water and listen to the local entertainer. Had some shrimp and bluefish and it was all very good. Also definitely worth a stop at the British Cemetery Memorial.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

The lighthouse was nice but you cant go to the top, you just walk up a small boardwalk and look at it. There are only 3 parking spots and only for 15 minutes. However, 15 mintues is long enough to look at it, snap a pic and drive away. The town is small and we couldnt stay long because the ferry ride took 3 hrs total. We had to wait in line for 1.5 hours both coming and going before we could board and take the 45 minute ferry ride. The ferry is free, however. I am glad we saw it but i wouldve happily stayed on Hattaras or at the beach instead. The whole experience was not worth the time. Also, I didnt find the locals to be very friendly, I was glared at, blocked in, and several shot me nasty looks while we were trying to find parking. If you have a golf cart or bike, i think you are much more accepted to the locals.

Reviewed September 21, 2012

Pretty lighthouse in pretty surroundings. We had to see it just to complete our 'set' (we'd seen Currituck, Bodie and Hatteras earlier in the week).

Reviewed September 19, 2012

It is one of the shortest lighthouses I have ever visited but I liked the looks of it. I wish we could have gone inside.