“A gem of a place”

The Winds Resort Beach Club
Reviewed August 10, 2014

I just spent Friday evening through Sunday morning at this hotel for a birthday weekend get away with a friend. The Winds was every bit as lovely as the pictures and the staff was very friendly. Our room was clean and airy and beautifully appointed. Everything about the hotel was convenient. We had a third floor garden view room on the third row and it was fantastic. The building even had a little roof top deck that afforded an ocean view. I spent half of my trip up there admiring the view and cool breeze and only met one other person up there. So it kind of felt like my own little secret (maybe I should not have mentioned it). The free breakfast was really nice. It changed up a little bit each day but there were eggs, grits, gravy, biscuits, sausage, bacon, bagels, pastries, cereal, fruit and do-it-yourself waffles. Our room also had a nice little kitchen area (not a separate room) with a fridge, toaster, coffee maker and wet bar. My only complaints are that the kitchen area needed a larger trash can (it was miniature sized) and we could have used more places to either hang wet things in the bathroom or on the deck. If those are my only complaints you are doing it right! The ocean front pool with tiki bar was a nice touch and the grounds had beautiful little gardens everywhere. Though we were staying on the third row it was a very quick and very pleasant walk to the beach. Ocean Isle Beach itself is also very nice. It's a wide, flat, clean beach with a gentle surf and not overcrowded. I will return. This is now my #1 beach hotel.

Room Tip: If you are looking for a quiet experience away from the hustle and bustle then I suggest one of gard...
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank triptastic104
GarisonKaufman, Guest Services Manager at The Winds Resort Beach Club, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2014

Dear triptastic 104-

Happy (belated) Birthday! Thank you for choosing The Winds as your celebration destination and thank you for sharing your comments with us and with others. I'm glad you enjoyed our full Southern Breakfast Buffet and the "secret" roof-top deck. Thank you too for mentioning our tropical gardens. I will pass your praises on to our Landscaping Team. We look forward to your return visit.

Cordially yours,

Reviewed August 9, 2014

Only got to stay one night but will definitely be going again in near future. Such a nice, relaxing . beautiful place. Lush ocean front garden makes you feel like you are in a tropical oasis! Room was really nice and had all we needed to be comfortable. Beds were great and quiet relaxing atmosphere. We were across the street, but had little ocean view. Breakfast next morning was out-standing. Everyone on staff made us feel special and pampered. Loved the ocean-front tiki-bar & hot-tub. You will be pampered on a visit here. <3 it!!! Stayed in room 507 across street....little cheaper.

Room Tip: Ocean-front or higher floors for view of beach.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sherry m

Dear Sherry M -

Thank you for staying with us and thank you for taking the time to share your observations with us and TripAdvisor readers. I am glad that you were able to take advantage of the fact that , unlike most properties on Ocean Isle Beach, we do accept bookings for less than a week's stay. Mini-vacations can really help us restore our energies. Perhaps this Autumn, you'll find a two or three day weekend for a return visit. It is the goal of all of us on the staff here at The Winds to make each and everyone of our guests feel they are special - because they are.

Respectfully,

Reviewed August 7, 2014

Our week at the Winds Resort Beach Club turned out to be the ideal vacation for our group of 14. The accommodations at the 5 bedroom/5 bath cottage were comfortable, spacious and clean. The beach was beautiful and surprisingly uncrowded, and the 2 pools and many activities offered kept everyone happy. A real plus was the buffet breakfast that is included with the rental. Delicious choices satisfied our whole family (ages 4 -69). The staff members were friendly and our experience with the front office was pleasant and helpful. We all thoroughly enjoyed our time at the Winds and hope to return again!

John F and family from Wilmington DE

Room Tip: We found that the cottages are ideal for large family or group and are a 3 minute walkto the beach!

Dear Virginia & John F -

Thank you for choosing The Winds as the site of your family's vacation and thank you for taking the time to share your comments with us and TripAdvisor readers. I am glad you all enjoyed yourselves and am so pleased to hear you are considering returning to us. With so many coastal options between OIB and Wilmington Delaware, we are honored that you have favored us with your patronage.

Cordially yours,

Reviewed August 5, 2014

The lack of options on Ocean Isle Beach are what keep this place in business. We stayed here for a family gathering and it seemed to be the best of the limited options on the island. The hotel is made up of a series of beach houses acquired over time, which maybe I should have picked up ahead of time, but it was a bit of a surprise upon arrival. Our room was across the street and accessed only via a sliding glass door. The room was carpeted, which was just a little gross for the beach. Everything in the room was dated.

The pool is very small with a small area around it for chairs. We got there early and got seats - only because there was only one other family there. The breakfast is nothing special, very carb heavy buffet eaten on paper plates.

Not worth the money. No desire to go back.

1  Thank staceyrainey
GarisonKaufman, Guest Services Manager at The Winds Resort Beach Club, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2014

Dear staceyrainey,

Thank you for staying with us and thank you for taking the time to submit your review. I am sorry you were disappointed with your stay on Ocean Isle Beach. It sounds as if you were seeking a large, hotel-style resort like you might find in Myrtle Beach or in some much larger destination, which we and OIB definitely are not. Though we are a smaller resort, we actually have three swimming pools on our property. Additionally, we find that our multiple beach cottages provide for a relaxed, family-friendly environment. They also allow for flexibility in accommodating guest parties of many sizes. We hope your future vacation destinations will better match your resort preferences.

Best regards,

Reviewed July 31, 2014

My wife and I just returned from a weekend visit at the Winds and felt compelled to share some observations. This was our second visit to the Winds in the last three (maybe four) years. Our first time, we thoroughly enjoyed everything about the property and agreed we would come back again as we did last weekend. This time, we cannot say the same as we found the property to be unkempt and in some places (I’ll be more specific shortly) dirty. My wife and I travel often and base our expectations on many factors including cost, cleanliness,reputation, locations, etc. We are not unreasonable in what we expect and understand that no place is truly perfect and that uncontrollable issues sometimes arise.
Having said that, The Winds does bill itself as a resort and they charge a price that reflects resort status, therefore my wife and I expected that at the very least, the resort would be well maintained and clean. I will note that our room, a bit on the dated side and in need of an upgrade was clean and acceptable, other than the 1980’s era television & antiquated table. The curtains were annoying to look at (hung haphazardly skipped hook holders, missing hooks and dragging on the floor by 3 -4 inches). The door latch cover to our room was hanging on by a thread and I got a screw driver and fixed it. Again, this is a resort and guests feeling compelled to perform maintenance tasks on the property to make their stay less annoying reflects badly on the resort.
We arrived on Saturday morning at noon. We were told our room was not ready but they would call when it was and that it was guaranteed to be ready by 4. At 3:50, we checked on the room and was told it was ready. I never did receive that phone call I was told I would get, but it was ready by 4 like they said. We were in the section of rooms that is across the street from the main property which has its own pool that we used on Saturday along with the main pool, beachfront.
The resort was packed with people on Saturday and the pool area by our room reflected the busy day with stuffed trash cans, empty water bottles & chairs strewn about and a pool full of sand. My wife commented to me about what slobs people can be when they do not clean up after themselves. On Sunday morning my wife and I took a bike ride (love having bikes onsite) had breakfast and then returned to our pool area to use the hot tub (approx: 10 am). We were shocked to see that the pool and the pool area had not been cleaned after Saturday’s heavy usage. The mess was all still there.
When we returned to our room, between 11 and noon, I called the front desk and spoke to a nice lady (I forget her name). I let her know about the pool and in a concerned voice; she said it would be taken care of. We spent the rest of the day on the beach. When we returned many hours later, the pool area was unchanged as another full array of guests who paid top dollar to use the “resort” got to spend their afternoon by a filthy pool and pool area. On Monday morning as we prepared to check out, a maintenance person was finally emptying the trash cans that were packed with the debris from two days before.
My wife and I checked out and headed for the breakfast room. It was a nice morning and we decided to eat at one of the picnic tables along the main resort walkway. At 9 am in the morning, it was obvious the grounds had not been cleaned even though guests were out and about. The walkways had not been swept and were covered with sand & debris from the many trees. Our picnic table was covered with plant debris, the pool, about to open for the day, had a lot of sand on the bottom and the bathroom by the breakfast room was filthy and disgusting (sand, pieces of toilet paper & stray hairs all over the floor). On our way out, my wife and I noticed multiple resort employees doing some light cleaning in the parking lot instead of where the cleaning was needed, the guest areas!
Any place that that calls itself a resort and prides itself on cleanliness, cleans their pools daily, especially on days of heavy use (weekends) and public bathrooms should be cleaned as often as needed. Pools should be vacuumed, bathrooms cleaned, trash cans and ashtrays emptied, walkways swept and sand rinse areas rinsed clean every morning before the 7 am breakfast crowd starts arriving. This is to be expected by the guests who paid for it and should not be neglected by the staff who are paid to perform these duties.
It is obvious; the owners of this property do not care about the resort’s daily appearance/cleanliness as business appears to be booming. It will only boom for so long if their quality control and lack of attention to details does not change. Until those changes are made and obvious, we will not be back.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
11  Thank PhillyRick
GarisonKaufman, Guest Services Manager at The Winds Resort Beach Club, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2014

Dear PhillyRick- Thank you for returning to The Winds. We appreciate both your patronage and your comments. I apologize that you were disappointed with your return visit to us. Thank you for taking the time to provide us with the details. I have passed your observations on to the appropriate department heads for them to review and follow-up. As you noted, "no place is truly perfect." and it appears as if, during your stay, we were definitely shy of the mark. Please be assured, that The Winds' owners and managers do indeed care a great deal about the daily appearance of our property. We are well aware of the fact that, like a violin, a resort is not something that gets "tuned" once and remains forever in tune. We are dedicated to providing the care and attention required to attract new guests and keep established guests returning to us again and again. We hope that care and attention, that "tuning" will see you retuning to us soon.
Respectfully yours,

Reviewed July 27, 2014

We just got home from 4 days and 3 nights at the Winds Beach Resort! We had a beautifully decorated, clean oceanfront room. We loved the pool and beautiful beach. Although the lady who checked us in was a bit rude while answering our many questions, the thirsty tiki staff made up for it! Kim has such a kind heart and treated everyone as if they were long lost friends....we loved it! It was our first time to OIB and the guys were planning to golf everyday but the resort was so relaxing they actually left their clubs untouched...that says something in itself!!

Room Tip: choose a room with a great view of the ocean
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
GarisonKaufman, Guest Services Manager at The Winds Resort Beach Club, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2014

Dear Rusty M,
Thank you for electing to stay with us this month and thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. I am disappointed to hear that you felt your reception was not all it should have been. I will follow-up with my staff on that. On the other hand, I am pleased to learn that Kim provided you the welcome and care you wanted. I will pass your praises on to her and to her supervisor. I am sorry you were so relaxed and content here at The Winds that you missed out on golfing. Might I suggest a return visit to us this autumn to compensate? It's fine golfing weather well into November.
Cordially,

Reviewed July 25, 2014

The Winds is the place my Mom and I come every summer for our "girls get away" we've been coming for I think it's ten years this year! We tried a few other beach spots before finding The Winds and once we did we knew it was "our" place. Myrtle Beach was too crowded and commercial and we moved to Ocean Isle and The Winds has been the best find. It's very relaxing, the Tiki Hut is always making great drinks, and great bar food. There is a great pool looking over the beach and ocean. It's usually quiet and we just have our routine. We love the Causeway Gourmet which was recommended to us the year it opened and we always stop by there ever since. We love this place because it's family owned. It's been built up but it still feels small, with the rocking chairs outside our door and the beautiful beach view. We love that you can still run into the original family owners at the resort. Everyone is so kind and friendly. They also have I believe 3 other pools 1 indoor and 2 more outdoor. Rooms are available overlooking the beach but the also have rooms and cottages available to rent for larger families directly across the street and with access to all the amenities. Offer a good breakfast in the morning. They've kept up with making good updates to the rooms over the years so everything is always looking nice, never run down. I hope my Mom and I will continue this tradition for a long time! ♡ We always go in August which is a little less busy time as well, but still usually great weather. Though we have run into the occasional tropical storm over the past 10 years which has been an adventure! :)

Room Tip: Rooms on the first and second floor directly overlooking the pool can be a bit louder in the evening...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
GarisonKaufman, Guest Services Manager at The Winds Resort Beach Club, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2014

Dear HeatherNG -
Happy 10th "Anniversary!" Thank you for sharing the story of how you came to us with our TripAdvisor readers. I hope your girls getaway with us as also included taking advantage of some of the spa and massage options we offer as well as the rocking chairs, great drinks from our Thirsti Tiki and beautiful beach views. However, I do have to correct one mis-statement of yours. We have a total of 3 swimming pools, not 4. Of course there is that fairly significant supplement to all the pools. We like to call it "The Ocean!" <G> We look forward to you and your Mom joining us for an 11th year.
Cordially,

The Prince Resort
The Prince Resort
#3 of 52 in North Myrtle Beach
Best Western Ocean Sands Beach Resort
Best Western Ocean Sands Beach R...
#4 of 52 in North Myrtle Beach
Rodeway Inn & Suites
Rodeway Inn & Suites
#3 of 3 in Shallotte
Days Inn Shallotte
Days Inn Shallotte
#1 of 3 in Shallotte

Been to The Winds Resort Beach Club? Share your experiences!