“We've stayed here for years and always will”

The Winds Resort Beach Club
Greenville, South Carolina
“We've stayed here for years and always will”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2014

My family members & I have stayed here countless times for over a decade ( probably more ) & always will. Staff members are always pleasant & helpful, our rooms have always been clean & comfortable, the breakfast is always very good ( love the biscuits & gravy ), parking is handy, the pool & hot tub always clean, the beach in front of the Winds is always enjoyable, etc. etc, etc.My family owned motels in Myrtle Beach in the 1940's,'50's & 60's & they were constantly having to paint, repair or replace things on the property due to the constant effect of the salt air...many times while we've stayed at the Winds their staff are doing work around the outside but I understand the need & appreciate what they're doing...no big deal. We wouldn't think of staying anywhere else on Ocean Isle.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tom H
GarisonKaufman, Director of Marketing at The Winds Resort Beach Club, responded to this review, July 2, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your travel experience with us and with others! We thank you so much for your wonderful review and we are happy to hear how much you enjoy our resort. You are correct, we are consistently renovating our property in order to give our guests a better vacation experience. We hope you continue to love your vacations here and we look forward to having you back again soon!

Director Of Marketing

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
Raleigh, North Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2014

Their online reservation system is horrible. It deleted my children from my reservation and added my reservation for the date I made the reservation not the date I selected. Even though I made my reservation at almost midnight, the staff was unwilling to refund my money or give me a credit when I called the explain the error. We have been to the hotel and although it's in a charming location and we'd planned to renew our vows here, I will not give them any further business due to the extreme poor handling of the botched reservation. The hotel's manager, Garrison, actually told me to "act like an adult" when I asked him nicely to work with me. I was completely demeaned when I asked them to help me fix the problem. All this hotel cares about is getting your money.

6 Thank Elisabeth M
GarisonKaufman, Director of Marketing at The Winds Resort Beach Club, responded to this review, July 3, 2014
We regret that you encountered issues with our online booking system. As on most online booking engines, occasionally, when a guest has entered into a secure connection and goes back to a previous page, the information options reset to default settings - which is the day you make the reservation. During our peak season we do have a no refund policy regarding deposits with reservations less than 30 days away, however we did allow your deposit to be credited to a future stay.

Some of the details may have gotten a bit muddled, but we apologize if anything was said in the confusion that upset you. We hope that you will still visit Ocean Isle Beach as it is a wonderful vacation destination.

Blfd
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2014

We have visited OIB for over twenty years but never stayed at The Winds Resort. I wish we had stayed there long ago! The resort offered everything we needed and more. Every member of the staff was friendly and very helpful. We will be back! I have read some less than stellar reviews but our trip was great. This is not a large-scale chain and that is part of the charm. Relax---you are at the beach!!!

Room Tip: We chose to pay more for the ocean front room....higher level...not ground floor. The hotel uses in...
2 Thank Dturtle24
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your travel experience with us and with others! We appreciate your wonderful comments about our resort and our staff. We are so glad you enjoyed your vacation at The Winds and we hope to have you back to stay with us again soon!

Akron, Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2014

Ocean Isle is a great place to take the family to get away from the busy rush of Myrtle Beach - the beaches are nice and the access is good. The island does not offer many hotel or resort options - mostly private homes (which I would recommend). The Winds takes advantage of the lack of competition by charging 5 star pricing for 3 star accommodations. First let me state that the staff was outstanding - the rooms were clean - and the pool and Tiki Bar was nice. The breakfast was a basic breakfast bar - did not change for the 6 nights we were there - no fresh fruit - and as other mentioned - paper plates and plastic - not what I would expect for resort prices. Bikes were free - which was nice. Free summer golf at local courses (be prepared for $25/person cart fees - not exactly free or cost effective compared to other web deals).
As others have mentioned - the resort is dated and in need of serious updating - I read the reviews before I went concerning the air conditioners and dehumidifiers and thought others were exaggerating - they were not - let me try to represent it correctly - our 2 bedroom unit had 1 window and 2 stand alone air conditioning units that ran 24/7. There was also a dehumidifier in the living room running full time as well - these units are loud! The stove was at least 30 years old - the furnishings were worn. Access to rooms is via a shared deck - you do not have a private deck for each room.
This review is longer than most of my reviews in hopes that the owners of this resort take action to reduce prices to bring in line with other 2-3 star facilities or spend some money to rebuild and modernize. I like the location - I like the people -and I will probably go back to Ocean Isle - but I will avoid the Winds resort.

Room Tip: If it is not an ocean front room - you are across the street from the beach
2 Thank Bryan B
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your travel experience with us and with others! We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay in Ocean Isle. It is a wonderful beach, unlike many others. We are glad that you found our staff helpful and our rooms clean. While we do quite a lot of renovations each year including rooms, furnishings, and our grounds, the property does have a retro feel to it. We have made extensive renovations over the past winter to a large number of rooms including hard wood bamboo flooring, new furniture, etc. It can be difficult to moderate temperatures and humidity on an oceanfront property in the heat of the summer, but we try to make our guests as comfortable as possible. We look forward to having you to Ocean Isle again!

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2014 via mobile

Did not stay there, but went several nights to the Tiki Bar for drinks and lunch one day. Beautiful setting , can see the ocean and feel the cool ocean breeze. Kim was our waitress and she was great, very entertaining. Fun place to go!!!

• Stayed June 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your travel experience with us and with others! We are so glad that you enjoyed the Tiki Bar and the ambience of the oceanfront pool, it's really a piece of paradise on the coast. We hope to have you back to the Tiki bar or to stay with us soon!

Greensboro, North Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2014

Stayed here during the oyster festival. Reserved for several nights, but could only stand to stay in the room for one night. That was after purchasing room deodorizers and placing them throughout the room. The smell took my breath. Went to office and complained and they could offer no solution. There were two large humidifiers in the room that sounded like large airplanes.
An employee said that they had trouble with mildew many times. I usually don't complain, but this room should not have been rented to anyone! Will not return

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank cif777
GarisonKaufman, Guest Services Manager at The Winds Resort Beach Club, responded to this review, June 14, 2014
Dear cif777,
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback from your stay with us last October.
I am sorry that you were unhappy with your room. As you may have gleaned from reading my replies, I have only recently joined the team here at The Winds and can truly only speak to the property and staff now. Our new Executive Housekeeper is working with our Maintenance Department to make certain all rooms and equipment are in peak condition. If a guest has a problem, our Guest Services Department makes every effort to rectify it.
In your situation, it sounds as if a room move may have been in order. It is, however, generally unnecessary to keep a dehumidifier running when the air conditioner is turned on; although it does supplement the moisture control of an air conditioner.
While many guests love the briny smells of the ocean breezes and leave their windows open to them, we supply dehumidifiers in guest rooms expressly because other guests are unaccustomed to the high humidity that is a natural part of beachfront living.
I hope you have the opportunity to come to the 34th Annual Oyster Festival this October 18th & 19th here on Ocean Isle Beach.
Once again, thank you for your stay and your feedback.
Best regards,
Garison R. Kaufman
Guest Services Manager
uk
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2014 via mobile

Shockingly over priced for the standard of the room, we stayed 1 night in a suit, overall the room was clean enough but the most dated and run down room I've ever stayed in and also the most expensive, the air conditioner unit sounded like a jet engine so we couldn't have it turned on. Half of what we paid for one night would still have been generous! I've worked in hotel management for many years and feel like a review should be helpful and descriptive and so on a positive note they have free parking and breakfast is included which was just ok ( terrible coffee ) but paper plates and plastic cutlery was a first for me! The pool looked nice and they do provide pool towels.
Bed was comfortable and linens and towels were clean. Would I stay again? No. Needs a complete renovation or needs to be priced accordingly.

• Stayed June 2014
5 Thank AmarieUk
GarisonKaufman, Guest Services Manager at The Winds Resort Beach Club, responded to this review, June 11, 2014
Dear AmarieUK -

Thank you for staying with us at The Winds and thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. We appreciate all comments, positive, negative or in-between. They tell us what we are doing right and what we need to improve upon.

I’m glad you found some aspects of your room and stay to praise; but I am sorry that, overall, you were not happy. I apologize that you found the air conditioner to be too noisy. The suites each have their own air conditioner units, which can be a change for folks accustomed to central air conditioning. Our maintenance staff seeks to make certain each is in top working order. However, it sounds as though for the night in question, yours was not. The Winds’ use of paper and plastic are standard for a buffet breakfast where guests carry their food up to the pool, out to the beach or back to their rooms. We do offer accommodations with kitchenettes and full kitchens. All are equipped with glassware, plates & stainless cutlery.

You offered that this was the most expensive room you have ever stayed in. The summer is peak season along the coast. As our rates are competitive with area properties, I wonder if you might have stayed with us for a destination wedding and were not advised by the bride & groom that there might have been alternative, non-resort accommodations available off Ocean Isle Beach? Again, thank you for all your comments.
Best regards,
Rodeway Inn & Suites
Rodeway Inn & Suites
#3 of 3 in Shallotte
BEST WESTERN Ocean Sands Beach Resort
BEST WESTERN Ocean Sands Beach R...
#3 of 52 in North Myrtle Beach
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,406 reviews
Avista Resort
Avista Resort
#5 of 52 in North Myrtle Beach
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,157 reviews

Been to The Winds Resort Beach Club? Share your experiences!