“Awesome!!”

The Winds Resort Beach Club
Blfd
“Awesome!!”
Reviewed June 16, 2014

We have visited OIB for over twenty years but never stayed at The Winds Resort. I wish we had stayed there long ago! The resort offered everything we needed and more. Every member of the staff was friendly and very helpful. We will be back! I have read some less than stellar reviews but our trip was great. This is not a large-scale chain and that is part of the charm. Relax---you are at the beach!!!

Room Tip: We chose to pay more for the ocean front room....higher level...not ground floor. The hotel uses in...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Dturtle24
GarisonKaufman, Director of Marketing at The Winds Resort Beach Club, responded to this review, July 2, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your travel experience with us and with others! We appreciate your wonderful comments about our resort and our staff. We are so glad you enjoyed your vacation at The Winds and we hope to have you back to stay with us again soon!

Director Of Marketing

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
Akron, Ohio
Reviewed June 16, 2014

Ocean Isle is a great place to take the family to get away from the busy rush of Myrtle Beach - the beaches are nice and the access is good. The island does not offer many hotel or resort options - mostly private homes (which I would recommend). The Winds takes advantage of the lack of competition by charging 5 star pricing for 3 star accommodations. First let me state that the staff was outstanding - the rooms were clean - and the pool and Tiki Bar was nice. The breakfast was a basic breakfast bar - did not change for the 6 nights we were there - no fresh fruit - and as other mentioned - paper plates and plastic - not what I would expect for resort prices. Bikes were free - which was nice. Free summer golf at local courses (be prepared for $25/person cart fees - not exactly free or cost effective compared to other web deals).
As others have mentioned - the resort is dated and in need of serious updating - I read the reviews before I went concerning the air conditioners and dehumidifiers and thought others were exaggerating - they were not - let me try to represent it correctly - our 2 bedroom unit had 1 window and 2 stand alone air conditioning units that ran 24/7. There was also a dehumidifier in the living room running full time as well - these units are loud! The stove was at least 30 years old - the furnishings were worn. Access to rooms is via a shared deck - you do not have a private deck for each room.
This review is longer than most of my reviews in hopes that the owners of this resort take action to reduce prices to bring in line with other 2-3 star facilities or spend some money to rebuild and modernize. I like the location - I like the people -and I will probably go back to Ocean Isle - but I will avoid the Winds resort.

Room Tip: If it is not an ocean front room - you are across the street from the beach
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Bryan B
GarisonKaufman, Director of Marketing at The Winds Resort Beach Club, responded to this review, July 3, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your travel experience with us and with others! We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay in Ocean Isle. It is a wonderful beach, unlike many others. We are glad that you found our staff helpful and our rooms clean. While we do quite a lot of renovations each year including rooms, furnishings, and our grounds, the property does have a retro feel to it. We have made extensive renovations over the past winter to a large number of rooms including hard wood bamboo flooring, new furniture, etc. It can be difficult to moderate temperatures and humidity on an oceanfront property in the heat of the summer, but we try to make our guests as comfortable as possible. We look forward to having you to Ocean Isle again!

Reviewed June 14, 2014 via mobile

Did not stay there, but went several nights to the Tiki Bar for drinks and lunch one day. Beautiful setting , can see the ocean and feel the cool ocean breeze. Kim was our waitress and she was great, very entertaining. Fun place to go!!!

• Stayed June 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your travel experience with us and with others! We are so glad that you enjoyed the Tiki Bar and the ambience of the oceanfront pool, it's really a piece of paradise on the coast. We hope to have you back to the Tiki bar or to stay with us soon!

Greensboro, North Carolina
Reviewed June 12, 2014

Stayed here during the oyster festival. Reserved for several nights, but could only stand to stay in the room for one night. That was after purchasing room deodorizers and placing them throughout the room. The smell took my breath. Went to office and complained and they could offer no solution. There were two large humidifiers in the room that sounded like large airplanes.
An employee said that they had trouble with mildew many times. I usually don't complain, but this room should not have been rented to anyone! Will not return

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank cif777
GarisonKaufman, Guest Services Manager at The Winds Resort Beach Club, responded to this review, June 14, 2014
Dear cif777,
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback from your stay with us last October.
I am sorry that you were unhappy with your room. As you may have gleaned from reading my replies, I have only recently joined the team here at The Winds and can truly only speak to the property and staff now. Our new Executive Housekeeper is working with our Maintenance Department to make certain all rooms and equipment are in peak condition. If a guest has a problem, our Guest Services Department makes every effort to rectify it.
In your situation, it sounds as if a room move may have been in order. It is, however, generally unnecessary to keep a dehumidifier running when the air conditioner is turned on; although it does supplement the moisture control of an air conditioner.
While many guests love the briny smells of the ocean breezes and leave their windows open to them, we supply dehumidifiers in guest rooms expressly because other guests are unaccustomed to the high humidity that is a natural part of beachfront living.
I hope you have the opportunity to come to the 34th Annual Oyster Festival this October 18th & 19th here on Ocean Isle Beach.
Once again, thank you for your stay and your feedback.
uk
Reviewed June 8, 2014 via mobile

Shockingly over priced for the standard of the room, we stayed 1 night in a suit, overall the room was clean enough but the most dated and run down room I've ever stayed in and also the most expensive, the air conditioner unit sounded like a jet engine so we couldn't have it turned on. Half of what we paid for one night would still have been generous! I've worked in hotel management for many years and feel like a review should be helpful and descriptive and so on a positive note they have free parking and breakfast is included which was just ok ( terrible coffee ) but paper plates and plastic cutlery was a first for me! The pool looked nice and they do provide pool towels.
Bed was comfortable and linens and towels were clean. Would I stay again? No. Needs a complete renovation or needs to be priced accordingly.

• Stayed June 2014
5 Thank AmarieUk
GarisonKaufman, Guest Services Manager at The Winds Resort Beach Club, responded to this review, June 11, 2014
Dear AmarieUK -

Thank you for staying with us at The Winds and thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. We appreciate all comments, positive, negative or in-between. They tell us what we are doing right and what we need to improve upon.

I’m glad you found some aspects of your room and stay to praise; but I am sorry that, overall, you were not happy. I apologize that you found the air conditioner to be too noisy. The suites each have their own air conditioner units, which can be a change for folks accustomed to central air conditioning. Our maintenance staff seeks to make certain each is in top working order. However, it sounds as though for the night in question, yours was not. The Winds’ use of paper and plastic are standard for a buffet breakfast where guests carry their food up to the pool, out to the beach or back to their rooms. We do offer accommodations with kitchenettes and full kitchens. All are equipped with glassware, plates & stainless cutlery.

You offered that this was the most expensive room you have ever stayed in. The summer is peak season along the coast. As our rates are competitive with area properties, I wonder if you might have stayed with us for a destination wedding and were not advised by the bride & groom that there might have been alternative, non-resort accommodations available off Ocean Isle Beach? Again, thank you for all your comments.
Cary, North Carolina
Reviewed May 28, 2014

The Winds is an aptly named beach resort. Tropical colors, lush vegetation, tiki bar (food is good too) and laid back feel. Proximity to the ocean is amazing. Breakfast served in the morning is basic and edible, esp the fruit salad. There were 3 weddings over Memorial Day and handled with subtlety and finesse, you wouldn't have known other than the various musicians that played for the guests, which were all wrapped up well before 11p. Bed was extremely comfortable (Rm 304) and heard very little noise, if any, in the bedroom. For being on the ocean, it didn't have a sea spray feel, smell or look to it which many beachfront properties do. Yes there are smokers by the Thirty Tikki bar but it's outdoors and I didn't notice the smell drift into rooms or other areas. I reiterate, it's a beach resort, meant for lowkey beachfront enjoyment. One note, we took a couples getaway package and inc. is a massage - the massage is off-site, about 10 min drive off the island, just fyi.

Room Tip: Look at property map if you have specific requests.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank PMitchell822
MarketingMan310, Director of Marketing at The Winds Resort Beach Club, responded to this review, May 30, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your travel experience with us and with others! We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your holiday weekend with us and enjoyed so many of the things that make The Winds unique. Watching a beach wedding can be a fun experience for our guests on the weekends! We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to having you back soon!

Greensboro, North Carolina
Reviewed May 26, 2014

WAY overpriced to be this OLD and DIRTY. We requested a renovated room after reading reviews of the ones that weren't. We got the 2 bedroom which was still TINY. The furniture was old and stained. We sat on barstools. The carpets were NASTY - our feet were black by lunch time from walking on them. (We had to wear shoes inside the rest of the trip.) The second day I noticed bites on my legs and my sons. I assumed mosquitos or something. Then as I was tucking them into bed I saw FLEAS jump off the edge of the sheet touching the floor. I immediately called the front desk and they were basically like "So what do you want us to do about it?" Nobody cared! I guess since they are Pet Friendly you should expect fleas?!? No thanks! I was very unhappy at checkout that morning and received a small discount but nobody really cared. With a name like "Beach Club Resort" and prices to match you would expect something that is clean and updated at best. The only decent parts were the beach and the breakfast. The pools were ok but small for that many people. You may also choke to death with all the smokers around your patio and pool all day. Lesson Learned!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank SmoothMamaJones
GarisonKaufman, Guest Services Manager at The Winds Resort Beach Club, responded to this review, June 7, 2014
Dear SmoothMamaJones-

Thank you for staying with us last September. I only just recently came on board here at The Winds Resort and consequently do not know all the details of your stay with us. I'm glad you enjoyed our hot Southern breakfast buffet and the beautiful beach. However, please accept my apology for what you describe as a unsatisfactory overall experience.

While, I do not feel I can speak to the condition of your room 8 months on, I do think I can speak to the commitment to excellence our new Executive Housekeeper has brought to the strong team of hospitality professionals The Winds already had in place. I am sorry that some sand fleas found their way to your room. All rooms, whether designated as “pet friendly” or not, are subject to regular pest control. And I further apologize that you felt no one cared about your concerns last year. That certainly would not be acceptable under my watch and, again, is not something I've witnessed since I have joined the team. From what I have seen at The Winds since I arrived, and from the collection of reviews of the property here on TripAdvisor, I believe your experience was atypical.

Our website, TheWinds.com displays up-to-date photos of each of our varied room types so that guests may view the room they are booking ahead of time. Families are all different. For folks who plan to spend time indoors, our 3, 4, 5 or six bedroom cottages may offer the additional space they prefer. Our prices are competitive with other beach resorts along the coast. If they weren't, The Winds would not remain in business long. Smoking is prohibited in all of our indoor rooms and facilities. And although some municipalities have limited outdoor smoking, ours has not.

Again, thank you for staying with us and thank you for taking the time to provide us your feedback. My hope and goal is that we learn from this and improve as a result.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Ocean Isle Beach
Rodeway Inn & Suites
Rodeway Inn & Suites
#3 of 3 in Shallotte
Best Western Ocean Sands Beach Resort
Best Western Ocean Sands Beach R...
#3 of 52 in North Myrtle Beach
Days Inn Shallotte
Days Inn Shallotte
#1 of 3 in Shallotte

Been to The Winds Resort Beach Club? Share your experiences!