“Relaxed, nice way to start my morning”
Review of Castaway Grill

Castaway Grill
Cuisines: American, Greek
Reviewed June 6, 2014 via mobile

How is it when you ask a local you can always find the best little hidden spots. I asked the clerk at the Minuteman on the corner of OIB about a good breakfast joint and she recommended this place. Like the last place I visited, if your not looking for it you will pass it as it is located back from the road behind an ATM machine and drive up ice machine.

I ordered 2 eggs over medium, very fluffy but I did add salt. The bacon was very crispy and I prefer mine abit softer. The waitress was very attentive in noticing I wasn't eating it. She asked was something wrong and as I explained I liked soft bacon with a "I will get it fixed" look on her face was gone with my whole plate. Within 2 minutes I was greeted with another piping hot breakfast with soft bacon. Nice, they took the whole plate just because I wasn't pleased with my bacon. Now I can enjoy a nice hot complete breakfast.

This place is small compared to some if the other breakfast joints around here but it was very nice to sit and enjoy starting my day. So many smiling faces around me, I guess that is what the south is all about.

Reviewed May 19, 2014

Went to Castaway for breakfast and thoroughly enjoyed it. Not only did I enjoy my meal but I also enjoyed talking to my waitress. I can't remember her name but she was an asset to this restaurant. You could tell she enjoyed her job and the customers. Prices were comparable to other restaurants serving breakfast. It's located next to Tsunami's surf shop. Check it out, you won't be disappointed.

Reviewed May 7, 2014

The Ocean Isle Beach community is so happy to have Andy and Dean fill a much-needed niche, a family diner/restaurant open year-round for breakfast/lunch/dinner. My wife and I have been enjoying Castaway's since its opening, and it has only gone from good to excellent. Literally every meal we've eaten there has been outstanding. They're added many new dishes to their menu, especially since opening for dinner. And they're all good. Breakfast's are wonderful and their roast beef with gravy for lunch is superb. Carol had the chicken marsala and pronounced it the best she'd ever had. Castaway's is a little jewel. Thanks Dean and Andy!

Reviewed March 17, 2014

We tried the Castaway Grill for a quick change of pace from our usual standbys - The Purple Onion in Shallotte and Sarah's Kitchen in Sunset Beach. Castaway is just off the island behind the Tsunami's Surf Shop, so it's very convenient. We went around 9:30am on a Friday and it was almost deserted, so we were seated and served quickly. We got an order of scrambled eggs with bacon, home fries, and a biscuit. My partner ordered an omelet with ham and cheese. I have to say the portions were very generous and the food was good. If it were an option, I would have rated it 3.5 out of 5. The only thing keeping me from giving it a 4 rating is that the food is served on styrofoam plates. But because it is so convenient to the island, we will probably be back.

Reviewed March 16, 2014

always crowded, casual, comfortable, packed by lunchtime off season, waitresses friendly and appropriate...this is a diner/restaraunt and does a great job with breakfast. Judging by the late morning after 11 am crowd the lunch customers are happy too.