“Nothing special”

Cuisines: American, Greek
U.s.
“Nothing special”
Reviewed August 7, 2013

This is a great little place for average food, nothing special. Service (wait-staff) was prompt and friendly but the wait for food (and there was only one other table seated, employees of the place, it appeared) is overly long, about 25 minutes; this was probably due to the massive number of phoned-in take-out orders stacking up on the cook. All in all, average food, prices in line for same, nothing fancy or special about it.

We had:

Barbecue plate with fries (not on menu) - Barbecue is, of course, pot/crockpot cooked but the sauce, made in-house, and the volume of the serving make it a great value (photo shown).

Fries - The fries were served lukewarm, after a 25-minute wait, so perhaps you'll want to ask for hotter food if you visit.

Calabash Shrimp (on menu) - Shrimp breading is mushy and shrimp are popcorn-sized and fragments, not the crispy medium shrimp for which this Gullah region is famous, but there were plenty of them.

Fried Okra - it's the frozen kind, no seasoning of any kind, so you'll want a bit of salt

Coleslaw - NO seasoning whatsoever other than mayo, no ingredients other than green cabbage. No salt, no pepper, no nothing.

Dining room staff were extremely friendly, place was busy as a beehive later during our visit and apparently this place is filling a tourist-need niche here in Ocean Isle Beach. I did not try the ten-dollar Reuben (I've got to see this thing and I was tempted) but I'll probably give it a try if I visit again.

Oh, and my barbecue, fries and okra were served on three plates, Styrofoam, so don't expect anything fancy. I understand they're putting in beer and wine once they get their dishwasher water up to commercial standards and they have a small bar that appears as though it will seat about six folks, so you'll have that to look forward to soon.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank BiminiZane

North Carolina, USA
“Great Local Spot”
Reviewed July 13, 2013

Tasty, well-prepared meals for breakfast, lunch, and dinner-seven days a week. Carry out and drive through window for eating at home. Daily specials, reasonable prices, and more than ample portions make this a winner with the residents of Ocean Isle Beach. It is tucked away down the driveway between The Tsunami Beach Shop and the Ice Machines on the right as you come down the causeway before crossing the bridge to the island. Casual. Your meal is cooked to order. Recommend chicken souvlaki and the pimento cheeseburger. My husband likes the Greek salad and their pork chops. Breakfast biscuits are immense.

• Visited June 2013
Shallotte, North Carolina
“Waste of time”
Reviewed July 11, 2013

Slow service, slow getting the food out, the owner screaming at the waitress, Waitresses crying. Won't be going there.

Visited March 2013
1 Thank Rick H
“A lot for the $$$”
Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

Castaway Grill is a great relaxed spot to get a great bite to eat! Here you will get a lot for your money! The menu is reasonably priced. The staff is friendly and they bend-over backwards to accommodate you. The food was tasty and large portions to keep you smiling and sharing. The burgers were HUGE and made JUST-RIGHT!! My wife and brother had a Gyros and they were tasty and tender. I asked for a traditional club Sandwich and they did not have it on the menu. They glad made me what I wanted for a nominal fee. It was great!! This is a great place to go for a quick, relaxed meal.

• Visited July 2013
Virginia
“I'm sorry to say it but, we wouldn't eat here again”
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Recommended by one of the staff over at the Museum of Coastal Carolina. We had a starving group of 6 who needed something quick and affordable. Upon arrival there was only one other table seated. The waitress told us to seat ourselves wherever we liked and she'd be right with us. She took our drink orders and we peered at the menu. There's a lot to choose from and we all got something a little different. When questioning the waitress, it appeared she wasn't at all familiar with the menu or what ingredients were used or how things were cooked. Very disappointing. Among our orders were the Calabash Shrimp with mashed potatoes and green beans, Flounder Meal, Pork Souvlaki, BBQ Wings and Hot Dog. It took FOREVER to get our food! Our group was getting anxious and crazy hungry by the time everything arrived. The Calabash Shrimp was not at all what I expected and had a weird sauce that no one at our table liked. The BBQ wings were straight out of a box, as were the mashed potatoes. The flounder plate was huge and only good things were said about the souvlaki. Décor is mis-match beach paintings and doesn't go well with the cafeteria style table and chairs. I'm sorry to say it but, we wouldn't eat here again.

• Visited June 2013