“Lovely beach front room!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Islander Inn

Islander Inn
Ohio
“Lovely beach front room!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2012

Husband and I spent 2 nights at the Islander Inn and were very impressed - it was just what we were looking for - very clean, quiet and right on the beach. What was especially nice was the outstanding view of the ocean and being maybe 300 yards from the beach, with no huge sand dunes in between. The bed was super comfortable and the large flat-screen TV was a bonus - though we didn't spend much time in our room - much too nice on the beach! We enjoyed the continental breakfast and while I prefer Greek yogurt, they did offer Activia which was fine. I didn't think it was an old fashioned "throwback to the 50's" type of hotel, at least I never stayed in anything like this when I was a kid back then vacationing with my parents! No, it isn't 5-star hotel but we wanted a quiet place away from the high rise hotels and crowds. Monday was a perfect beach day. A vendor on the beach was renting big blue umbrellas and 2 canvas sling chairs for $25 for the day. We both agreed it was the best money we spent on our mini-vacation and we actually felt like we were in a Corona commercial! Everyone we came in contact with was super friendly, especially the female bartender at the Tiki Bar. We hope to be able to go back to the Islander Inn again soon!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Trackgirl99
MarnieWilliamson, General Manager at Islander Inn, responded to this review, August 29, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,
We are so delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay! Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experiences with other travelers. Your kind words about our property are very much appreciated. We look forward to the opportunity to see you again on a future visit to the Islander Inn!
Marnie Williamson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2012

If you're looking for an oceanfront room for just 2 people, and just for a weekend stay at the beach, they are hard to find! But the Islander did a good job meeting our needs.

Pros-
-Right on the ocean, great views and convenient
-Not-overly congested beach area- Ocean Isle is a great beach!
-walking distance or short drive to several shops and tiny restaurants (albeit it very few- compared to other beaches, there is very little commercial development on Ocean Isle. For me that was a plus, but for others maybe not.)
-rooms are clean if not fancy (This was a simple place, don't expect anything fancy. From the decor you could tell that someone who cares tried to make everything nice, but the structure itself is older. Again, this was fine for me, but others might want something more luxurious.) Housekeeping staff was friendly and hardworking.
-We were able to rent an umbrella and beach chairs from the adjacent resort.

Cons-
-Breakfast buffet is truly just a large continental breakfast- lots and lots and lots of carbs. No eggs, yogurt or meats of any kind. I think that the only protein in the breakfast offerings were the cream cheese for bagels. Healthy options included oatmeal, apples and bananas, and a few other items. If this is really important to you, you might want to bring food with you. There is a mini fridge and microwave in the room.
-Room walls are thin and doors are noisy (even when you're closing them carefully and let's face it, many people weren't careful). The plus side was the clientele staying here were not the hard partiers, they were mostly couples and families. The island itself has little night life and no alcohol is allowed on the beaches. So it seemed to be a crowd who retires early for the night and the loud door slamming was only an issue in the morning/daytime.
-Check-in was slow. This seems to be the luck of the draw. The other staff person at the counter processed people through quickly and efficiently. The person helping us did not seem to work with any sense of urgency and didn't seem to realize we might have had a long drive there.

Overall, I would return to the Islander Inn.

Room Tip: Unit #2 has the elevator so expect more noise. Unit #1 and #3 are adjacent to this building so you...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
MarnieWilliamson, General Manager at Islander Inn, responded to this review, August 15, 2012
Fort Worth, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2012

This is an old fashioned "throwback to the 50's" type of hotel. Clusters of six room cottage type houses are lined up right on the beach. Rooms are good..clean,comfie beds, nice tv and balcony right on the ocean. Breakfast was convenient and easy...right on par with Holiday Inn Express. It was so nice to be on a beach that was not over commercialized.

No the rooms are not the Ritz.. I guess if you want that you need to drive down south to Myrtle Beach and rent a condo unit for the week. Or go to Destin. If you want a sweet, simple beautiful beach vacation for your family this is it. We rented bikes the first day and haven't been back in the car since. We biked to dinner, ice cream and to church this morning (great service on the beach at 8:30 every Sunday.....casual, sit on the sand or dunes or bring a chair. ). The outdoor pool is nice and the indoor pool is perfect after a nightime swim in the ocean. Hot tub was nice and hot. Wifi was a bit spotty but eh, we aren't in our rooms surfing the net so I really don't care. At least three places within walking distance rent beach chairs and umbrellas so that was nice since we flew in. You do have to walk from unit to unit through the doors to get to the pool and beach access but oh my gosh...I guess this would only be a complaint if you are super out of shape. If you need handicap access then you should request building one.

I

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank jrt55857
MarnieWilliamson, General Manager at Islander Inn, responded to this review, August 6, 2012
Indianapolis
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2012

Just returned from a week at Islander Inn. You just can't beat the view for the price and the new tiki bar by the pool is awesome. The female bartender took your order and then brought the drinks to you when she had them done! The frontdesk staff is very nice and housekeeping was always friendly and helpful. Only downside I can think of is the pool is pretty small and people often hold the chairs with a personal item while going to their room or to the beach. I had to move someone's goggles so that the three of us could have chairs together and when we left 90 min later they hadn't even come back yet. All the while I watched others look for chairs and there weren't any open. Other than that, I love the Islander Inn and would return again.

Room Tip: Make sure you get an oceanfront room, the balcony is wonderful! Building 1 overlooks the pool and h...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank OntheMove75
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2012 via mobile

Don't get me wrong, the place is really nice and in a great area, although we didn't stay,but the wedding coordinator, Cheryl, was not helpful at all..it took me a whole week to get her to call me back. She said she called me, but I never recieved a call. I finally told the front desk that I was going to get married somewhere else if she didn't call me back. I set up an appointment to go view the place with my fiance, and she was so rude and obnoxious. The first thing she said was you're getting the elopement package right? And I said no the barefoot wedding package, then she asked what we wanted to know and why we were there. The beach is a public beach, and we understood that there wasn't a certain place we would get married, but she let us know that she didn't want to be there explaining a long time. She kept talking about how stupid people were, and the stupid questions they ask. The room we were in was filthy. Tables weren't cleaned and food was everywhere. Cheryl didn't even remember what package I wanted, yet she knew her other brides packages and their names. She acted like she could've cared less. Also, she asked me how many were attending my wedding and I told her we invited 125 and she said oh not even half of those will show up. She was so rude, and yes, maybe she did have experience with her job, but that's no way to do business! We were so set on a beach wedding, but thankfully we found another place because I refuse to do business with someone who treated me like I didn't matter.

• Stayed June 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank buttoncute
Dear Valued Guest,
Please allow me to begin by extending my most sincere apology for any deficiencies in service or disappointment you experienced during your meeting with our wedding coordinator. I have addressed this issue with our wedding coordinator. She is truly troubled by the impression that she left and believes there may have been some misunderstandings during the meeting. We both hope you will accept our apology and forgive any errors on our part. We do care what you think of our establishment and staff. More importantly, we care about your experience with us. We do hope to have the privilege of seeing you again on a future visit!

Athens, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2012

My best friend and I stayed at the Islander Inn for a girls getaway vacation. The ladies at the front desk were wonderful, very helpful and polite. Barbara in the breakfast room was so cheerful & helpful every morning. Always greeted us with a "good morning". Monica at the Tiki bar was awesome!!! The drinks were great & she was so friendly. Spent a lot of time talking with us & helped us pick out drinks, even made adjustments on them for us. I really like the addition of the Tiki Bar. Made sitting by the pool with the sound of the waves & the ocean breeze all that much better. The only thing I did not like is that you cannot smoke on your private balcony.

Room Tip: I would go for the top floor, we heard a lot of noise above us late at night.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank SarahLou810
Dear Valued Guest,
We are so delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay! Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experiences with other travelers. Your kind words about our property are very much appreciated. I will make sure to pass along your compliments to Monica and Barbara. They do love interacting with guests and it's nice when people take notice of their hospitality. We look forward to the opportunity to see you again on a future visit to the Islander Inn!
Conroe, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2012 via mobile

We were traveling through on a road trip of the east coast and needed a place to enjoy the beach but only for one day. This hotel was a wonderful choice. I think we paid $15 extra to check in a few hours early so that we could enjoy the beach longer. Our patio had a lovely view of the ocean. Great service. Good breakfast included. Would have loved to have stayed longer.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank RoadTripFamilyofFour
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ocean Isle Beach
Ocean Isle Inn
Ocean Isle Inn
#1 of 3 in Ocean Isle Beach
BEST WESTERN Ocean Sands Beach Resort
BEST WESTERN Ocean Sands Beach R...
#3 of 53 in North Myrtle Beach
#2 of 3 in Shallotte
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#3 of 3 in Shallotte

Been to Islander Inn? Share your experiences!