“Love this place” 5 of 5 bubbles

Islander Inn
Piedmont of NC
“Love this place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2012

2nd trip to Ocean Isle and have stayed at the Islander Inn both times. We ABSOLUTELY love it!!!

1 Thank Elygirl777
MarnieWilliamson, General Manager at Islander Inn, responded to this review, May 22, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,
We are so pleased that you have enjoyed your time at the Islander Inn and are eagerly awaiting your next visit! We sincerely value repeat customers such as yourself and thank you so much for taking the time to write a review on our behalf. Your kind words about our property and staff are very much appreciated. Again, we look forward to seeing you very soon!
Marnie Williamson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2012

I want to begin by complimenting Starla and Jessica on their outstanding customer service during a trip that my sister and I took last week. We had booked our room a few weeks before coming to celebrate her graduating, the end of another semester for me, and the start of summer vacation. Upon making the reservation, we weren't planning on bringing my sister's dog, Cali, so we booked a regular room. When we arrived (and early at that), however, we had decided to bring her along and completely forgot to see if they had pet rooms available! Instead of handling our situation like it was an inconvenience, Starla and Jessica were completely accommodating and were even happy to show us pictures of their own pets! Not only did they help us check in early into a pet-friendly room and switch our reservation around, they were more than happy to help us with a late check-out which gave us the opportunity to enjoy more time on the beach. If you are thinking about staying on Ocean Isle Beach, the Islander Inn is definitely where you need to go! The staff is super friendly and will go out of their way to make sure that you have a great experience and will make you want to stay there over and over again! (PS- don't forget to get that bowl of dog treats!)

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Angela C
MarnieWilliamson, General Manager at Islander Inn, responded to this review, May 19, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,
We are so delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay! Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experiences with other travelers. Your kind words about our property are very much appreciated. We do hope we have the opportunity to serve you again on a future visit to beautiful Ocean Isle Beach!
Floyd, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2012

I spent 2 nights at the Islander Inn last week. My family gave me an early Mother's Day gift, a trip all by myself!! I called several days before coming and was able to book an oceanfront king room. No problem with check-in. The room was on the second (top) floor and was clean and spacious. It had a small refrigerator and a microwave. The balcony was wonderful, with 2 chairs and a small table. All staff was pleasant and helpful. Breakfast was fine, with bagels and waffles and good coffee. The outdoor pool looked good but was still cold. The beach is steps from the inn and is wide and clean.
For the price, I thought it was a fantastic value and I will certainly be back. I might even bring my family with me next time : )

Room Tip: Oceanfront, on the top floor, if possible.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank annabellesma
Raleigh, North Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2012

If you are looking to reserve a block of rooms, save yourself the aggravation and book elsewhere. You can find better accommodations with more professional staff anywhere else for the same price or better. The Islander staff didn't book my block of rooms correctly when I called a month in advance to reserve the block. Carla is the only staff member who handles block scheduling. When the rest of my block of rooms was released prematurely without warning, I learned my reservation was not booked properly. After going around in many frustrating circles with Carla, who was completely unapologetic, unwilling to help rectify the situation, and would not give me a straight answer as to how the problem occurred, I asked for a manager. Marnie, the manager, was not available. I asked for the corporate phone number. Carla actually refused to give it to me. She was even sarcastic to me -- I am still astonished by how rudely I was treated. Then after we went around in more circles, she hung up on me! I was in tears after I got off the phone with her -- with a week to go before my wedding. These are the excuses I was given by Carla for the premature release of my block of rooms, none of which I was advised during my initial call to reserve the block:

1.) It is up to management's discretion to release a block of rooms at any point
2. A block of rooms automatically releases after 45 days
3. Since I wasn't having my wedding at the Islander, Carla didn't actually have to book a block of rooms for me at all. Apparently they only block for weddings they are doing and family reunions held there. Which I was not told prior to booking my block of rooms.

Even though I had given my phone number for a manager to contact me back, I never got a call from Marnie or anyone else in management. Not a surprise. I literally had to Google the Islander's corporate office and call management myself. I was told by corporate that I should have received a room agreement when I booked the block -- never got it. Carla never even mentioned such a thing. At least I received an apology from corporate and some form of accountability, but the damage had already been done. There I am, in tears, forcing my guests to make alternate accommodations one week before their arrival in town. As a customer service supervisor, I can tell when the service I'm receiving is the bare minimum or less. My experience at the Islander was definitely less than bare minimum. No compensation whatsoever for all of my stress and inconvenience. I felt like they could care less about me as a customer and the thousands of dollars worth of guests I was bringing with me.

Oh, and my experience with the place itself -- when we checked in, right there in the lobby one of the housekeeping staff was having a discussion with her manager about mistreatment. Not such a resort-style ambiance after all. Also, the Soundfront rooms give you a view of the road, not the Sound. You would need your binoculars to get a good view of the Sound from the Islander. For the price, you can definitely find better accommodations and more professional staff anywhere else. In retrospect, I wish I had never, ever tried booking a reservation at the Islander Inn. I feel literally traumatized after such a terrible experience marred what was supposed to be a very special trip.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank ms-gnomie
Staunton, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2012

I just visited the Islander Inn for my best friend's wedding and had the trip of a lifetime. The hotel was fantastic and the staff was friendly and attentive. One particular event made me truly appreciate the entire experience: upon returning from the wedding reception, we needed to store the remainder of the wedding cake in a refrigerator, which ended up being no small task. The front desk attendant, Maria, was so friendly and helpful. She cleared out a space in their personal refrigerator and reorganized countless shelves of food and drink to make space for the cake. After we finally got it into the refrigerator, we tried tipping her and she said she was just happy to help and no tip was necessary. Me and my friend and his new bride were all so happy and thankful to her for helping us out. I recommend The Islander Inn to anyone looking for a fantastic beach getaway!

Room Tip: The views from either side are great
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank jjfallon
MarnieWilliamson, General Manager at Islander Inn, responded to this review, May 15, 2012
Concord, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2012

We took our 3 dogs to this property for a quick weekend anniversary get away. When I tried to book online, it said they were sold out but I emailed the property and Carla helped manage to get me in. She was most helpful and it was super easy to reserve, check in and check out. No long waits and we got early check in on Friday with no problem. The best part is that they are very pet friendly. They do it right here...all pets stay in building 7 and that is really great organization. The other tenants had their dogs so the occassional barking wasn't a problem. I must say that I am a clean freak and normally wont take my flip flops off in hotel rooms but here it was so clean I didn't mind. There wasn't one hair to be found in the bathroom :) (my pet peeve) If you are someone who needs elaborate furnishings in a room this place is not for you so go stay at a ritz carlton if thats what you seek (no offense). The Islander has a fridge, wetbar, and a microwave which is all we needed. Again the room was no thrills but was super clean but the rate reflects that. I thought this was a super value for the amenities the hotel provided. Every morning there is a breakfast you can help yourself too. Fresh fruit, waffles, biscuits, juice, danish, etc. Indoor pool/hot tub and an outdoor pool. The beach location IS PERFECT. The beaches here are super clean and wide. It was jellyfish season when we visited and there were a few ones around but nothing like myrtle beach thank goodness. If you like to collect shells, this place is for you. Hundreds of intact shells laying around everywhere. We will definitly be back to this perfectly located and pet friendly hotel. It was a great stay! (Only drawback is it tended to be a little noisy late friday night when the late comers were arriving at midnight. But if that is my only complaint...geeze Im good to go)

Room Tip: Book early to get Oceanfront or email property directly. We only managed to get soundfront but it w...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank jmdoucette
Lagrange, New York, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2012

I booked the Islander Inn for our wedding at the Isles Restaurant in the beginning of April. I blocked rooms for all our guests there also. I absolutely love the Islander Inn and cannot wait to return. Our guests even raved about what a perfect place it was. Carla and Jessica were amazing!! They are very friendly and accomodating. The hotel rooms are extremely clean, housekeeping does an excellent job and the rooms have the most amazing views. They have a fantastic breakfast area with complimentary coffee, muffins, bagels, fruit, etc.

1 Thank Kelly L
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ocean Isle Beach
Ocean Isle Inn
Ocean Isle Inn
#1 of 3 in Ocean Isle Beach
BEST WESTERN Ocean Sands Beach Resort
BEST WESTERN Ocean Sands Beach R...
#3 of 53 in North Myrtle Beach
Avista Resort
Avista Resort
#4 of 53 in North Myrtle Beach
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,140 reviews

Been to Islander Inn? Share your experiences!