“Home cooking”

Cuisines: American, Barbecue
North Carolina
“Home cooking”
Reviewed September 18, 2013

We stop here about noon. The place was semi busy. I saw a breakfast plate go by and I knew I needed one. The cathead biscuit (a big biscuit), link sausages, grits eggs and home fries hit the spot. My wife ate a grill cheese sandwich. The staff was very nice and down home. The prices are very good here. I like how they decorate this place. A lot of race items and other items you have to see.

• Visited September 2013

Clifton, New Jersey
“You MUST stop here!”
Reviewed August 24, 2013

Don't judge a book by it's cover, and don't judge a place to eat by it's building. While Big Nell's doesn't look like much from the outside, the food is what I had imagined North Carolina bbq to be. Inside it's a throwback to an old time diner. Friendly staff and a country feel. I had the bbq platter complete with shredded bbq pork, hush puppies and fries and cole slaw. Add some of the bbq sauce that the waitress puts on the table and you have a wonderful bbq experience. Only open for breakfast and lunch so be sure to make your way there before they close, it's well worth it.

Visited August 2013
Fort Bragg, North Carolina
“Favorite place to eat at OIB”
Reviewed August 23, 2013

My husband and I love to eat at Big Nell's and usually come here several times during our stay at OIB. It's great to be able to get away from the overpriced tourist places and just have some good food. The prices are great and they even give a military discount. They only serve breakfast and lunch and are not open for dinner.

• Visited August 2013
Raleigh
“Outstanding breakfast”
Reviewed July 27, 2013

I happened to drive by Big Nell's Pit Stop fairly early on a Sunday morning and because we are always on the lookout for great BBQ places, looked at the sign and then the parking lot full of cars and pickup trucks. It was full and so when I drove by coming from the store, decided to check it out as to why it was so popular. I walked in and bypassed the fast moving waiting line to sit at the counter. That gave me a chance to see all of the plates coming out of the kitchen so I took a while to decide what my order was going to be. It was mid-morning by then and even though BBQ was available, they serve breakfast all day long (open for breakfast and lunch only) so the Southern breakfast with fresh biscuit was my choice. OUTSTANDING decision on my part because the eggs were very fresh, the bacon was crisp, the chopped hash browns were tasty, the grits were "true grits" and the biscuits were flaky. The coffee was good and the service was quick and smiling even with a steady crowd. Although I did not get a chance to come back by for the BBQ (still full from breakfast), the food plates that came through the cooking kitchen window across from me looked good enough to stay and eat all day. It will definitely be my place to eat breakfast and lunch whenever we get back down that way.

• Visited July 2013
“Always a great Stop”
Reviewed June 24, 2013

I've been coming here since I was a little boy always love looking at the NASCAR memrobelia and eating all the gret breakfast foods they have before hitting the beach! Can't wait to come back!

Visited August 2012