“Great meal. Overpriced for what the food...”
Review of Sugar Shack

Sugar Shack
Cuisines: Jamaican
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
“Great meal. Overpriced for what the food...”
Reviewed September 5, 2010

Great meal. Overpriced for what the food is, but it is worth one trip. Just don't go if you are on a budget. The coconut shrimp and ribs were great. Not spicy enough for foodies, but plenty spicy for the average american palette.

Knoxville, Tennessee
“Overpriced, Almost Flavorless, Don't Waste Your Money”
Reviewed August 29, 2010

My husband used to live in the Wilmington area and had been to the Sugar Shack in Ocean Isle when he lived there about 10 years ago. We just got back from our vacation in Wilmington, and after years of my husband telling me how great the food was, we made a stop there. He had told me how flavorful and enjoyable the food was - that it wasn't the jerk you get where live in Knoxville, where it tastes like red pepper, but actual spices that have a good heat to them. I was sold.

Unfortunately, something has changed over the last ten years. When our waiter walked up to us, the first thing out of his mouth was a script about how the food is "not hot but it is made with a blend of spices to make it very flavorful and it will fall off the bone - and we can bring you hot sauce if you like". Uhm, hot sauce? This IS a jerk restaurant right? Have you read what jerk is supposed to mean?

We continued with our meal to give it a try anyway.

We ordered the coconut shrimp as a starter - this was pretty good.

Each of us ordered a Jerk half-chicken - yes, it fell off the bone, but unfortunately it didn't taste good at all. In fact, it didn't taste like much at all. AFTER we had started our meal, the server brought out a small cup of what they were calling jerk sauce, but what tasted more like sweet teriyaki sauce. The coleslaw was really, really good though.

We also ordered a half-rack of babyback ribs to take home, hoping for better results, but we didn't get them - same situation, it fell off the bone, sure - but it was extremely bland in taste.

For desert we ordered the key lime pie and split it - and this was excellent, probably the best key lime pie I have ever had (but, I haven't been to the keys).

The Sugar Shack seems to be selling "Fall off the bone", but is definitely not selling good food at a fair price. The chicken was $20/plate, and the ribs were $22 or $25. The only thing we were happy with was the coconut shrimp appetizer, the coleslaw that came with the meal, and the key lime pie. For the entire meal and a couple beers each, we spent a little over a hundred dollars (NOT including the tip). DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY!!!!!!!!!! YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE TO ORDER HOT SAUCE TO SPICE UP JERK STYLE COOKING!!!!

1 Thank Amanda55138
n.c.
“Wonderful food, service”
Reviewed August 26, 2010

We ate here last week and find that this unique, off-the -beaten path, is living up to it's great reputation. The cuisine is Caribbean and the jerk chicken is fantastic. Seafood always good, as are the ribs. Be sure and make reservations, as the wait will be long otherwise.

1 Thank ebbtide2
North Carolina
“Didn't live up to what I'd heard”
Reviewed July 18, 2010

We went to the Sugar Shack after years of hearing how wonderful it was. I was more than a little disappointed.

For starters, we made reservations, as suggested on the banner outside. When we arrived, we were told curtly to wait outside. The room was crowded, but we expected to be seated soon. After half an hour and a complaint, we were able to get a table. The hostess told us that reservations meant that we would get seated "at some point", not at the time they were made for. They seemed to think highly enough of the place that welcoming customers wasn't a priority.

The menu is meat-heavy, so vegetarians would need to look somewhere else for dinner. No entree is under $17.50, even though all are served with fries and slaw. The meats were very good, but I wouldn't recommend the goat.

I'd say the food is too pricey for the service and the atmosphere. There is only one room for dining, and it got so loud I had to yell to be heard across my own table. There were french fries ground into the carpet.

It wasn't a total bust, but I wouldn't go back.

Salisbury, North Carolina
“AWSOME EXPERIENCE!!!”
Reviewed July 14, 2010

the sugar shack is located at the entrance road to my family's beach house and when i saw it for the first time i knew i had to check it out. It was amazing. I had to try their coconut shrimp and ribs special. It was so delicious and had flavors like nothing ive ever had before. Next time i tried the steak and it was pricey but sooooo worth it! Im tellin you its wonderful and the service is top notch! now i take all my friends to try it and theyve all said the same.