“Everyone loved it here!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sugar Shack

Sugar Shack
Cuisines: Caribbean, Jamaican
Good for: Kids, Special occasions, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Charlotte, NC
“Everyone loved it here!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2014

We had a party of six with very different tastes. Some of us had never had Jamaican cuisine before. We had ribs, shrimp, tuna, chicken, pork, and even GOAT! It was all delicious. The guy who owns it is actually Jamaican. This is a favorite of locals in a tourist town and it's always packed so get there early. They are open on Sundays even though some internet info says they're closed on Sundays. The food AND the service were excellent! We loved it here and can't wait to go back.

1 Thank jolianne01

Kennesaw, Georgia
“Disappointing second experience”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2014

My extended family visited this restaurant during the last week of June to celebrate my parent's 60 th wedding anniversary. We had a great experience here in 2013 (and I gave the restaurant a 5 star rating last year). Alas, the 2014 experience was not nearly as positive. The live music we heard in 2013 did not occur - I guess they only play it on weekends now. Stripped of good live music, we were left to ponder the food. The pork was very dry and everything seemed overpriced. The ribs and shrimp were good but not enough to justify the price. It took us nearly an hour just to get our appetizers. The magic we experienced in 2013 was totally gone and we will not return to this establishment.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
Indianapolis, Indiana
“An Ocean Isle Must!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2014

My family discovered Sugar Shack a couple of years ago while vacationing at Ocean Isle- now it is a must each time we visit Ocean Isle. The food is fabulous and the atmosphere is fun. You might want to call ahead for reservations, because it does get crowded!

Visited June 2014
St. Louis, Missouri
“Fall off the bone ribs, and friendly atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2014

Authentic Jamacian food in an upbeat, funky, cool atmosphere. Bright colors and friendly staff add to the ambience. The food is fabulous. The ribs, are by far, some of the best I have ever tasted, as well as the side dishes. Way too much food for one person to eat. I suggest splitting a meal with whoever you bring. Fun dinner.

• Visited May 2014
Knoxville, Tennessee
“So glad we finally tried the Sugar Shack!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2014

This was our fourth trip to Ocean Isle Beach and each time I'd wanted to go to the Sugar Shack. I was concerned my family wouldn't like Jamaican and I couldn't really describe it to them. Well, everyone found something they really liked. My son had a hamburger and enjoyed it. My wife and daughter had the ribs and they were great. They were a little pricey for the amount served but they were very, very good. I had the coconut shrimp and they were great. They serve a dozen and they are prepared to perfection!!! The rice and slaw are awesome. Everyone agreed that we should come back ever year.

The service was wonderful. We made a reservation and were seated right on time. The place is super clean and well decorated. The servers were on top of everything and the food was served in a reasonable time considering this isn't a fast food restaurant!!!

So, highly recommended!