“Disappointing second experience”

Cuisines: Jamaican
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed July 1, 2014

My extended family visited this restaurant during the last week of June to celebrate my parent's 60 th wedding anniversary. We had a great experience here in 2013 (and I gave the restaurant a 5 star rating last year). Alas, the 2014 experience was not nearly as positive. The live music we heard in 2013 did not occur - I guess they only play it on weekends now. Stripped of good live music, we were left to ponder the food. The pork was very dry and everything seemed overpriced. The ribs and shrimp were good but not enough to justify the price. It took us nearly an hour just to get our appetizers. The magic we experienced in 2013 was totally gone and we will not return to this establishment.

There are newer reviews for Sugar Shack

Reviewed July 1, 2014

My family discovered Sugar Shack a couple of years ago while vacationing at Ocean Isle- now it is a must each time we visit Ocean Isle. The food is fabulous and the atmosphere is fun. You might want to call ahead for reservations, because it does get crowded!

Reviewed July 1, 2014

Authentic Jamacian food in an upbeat, funky, cool atmosphere. Bright colors and friendly staff add to the ambience. The food is fabulous. The ribs, are by far, some of the best I have ever tasted, as well as the side dishes. Way too much food for one person to eat. I suggest splitting a meal with whoever you bring. Fun dinner.

Reviewed June 30, 2014

This was our fourth trip to Ocean Isle Beach and each time I'd wanted to go to the Sugar Shack. I was concerned my family wouldn't like Jamaican and I couldn't really describe it to them. Well, everyone found something they really liked. My son had a hamburger and enjoyed it. My wife and daughter had the ribs and they were great. They were a little pricey for the amount served but they were very, very good. I had the coconut shrimp and they were great. They serve a dozen and they are prepared to perfection!!! The rice and slaw are awesome. Everyone agreed that we should come back ever year.

The service was wonderful. We made a reservation and were seated right on time. The place is super clean and well decorated. The servers were on top of everything and the food was served in a reasonable time considering this isn't a fast food restaurant!!!

So, highly recommended!

Reviewed June 30, 2014

Very good restaurant just over the causeway from Ocean Isle Beach. The restaurant is small, but not so small that you feel cramped once you're sitting down. The crab fritters were very good, although I didn't care for the sauce that came with them. The ribs...amazing and not over-hyped at all. They are very lightly seasoned, so if you're used to ribs that taste like whatever sauce they are smothered in, you will want to bring your own. Key lime pie was very good and made fresh at the restaurant. They handled a large party very well - great experience.