“take me back to Jamaica!”
Review of Sugar Shack

Sugar Shack
Cuisines: Jamaican
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Calabash, North Carolina
“take me back to Jamaica!”
Reviewed May 11, 2013

I have been wanting to visit for the last couple years so my daughter treated me and her Godmother to dinner. We had reservations for 5 so there was no waiting since that is when they open. We had the ribs, which did fall off the bone,and they were amazing. The crab fritters were a little too well done for me, with a bit more filler than what I am used to. They aren't like MD crab cakes. But the sauce was good. The coconut shrimp was good but I think packaged. They give you a plate full of rice and cole slaw, which I also enjoyed. The drinks were island like, more like a milkshake and yummy but could have had a little more alcohol in them for what you pay. I found them on the expensive side as there is not plate under 20.00. I will give them another try because I may have just had an off night and most reviews rave about this place. I just wasn't feeling it like I had hoped.

Visited April 2013

Wilmington, North Carolina
“Love the Sugar Shack”
Reviewed May 2, 2013

The sugar shack is a must hit restaurant if you're in the area. They serve authentic jamaican dishes and they are to die for. Probably not very healthy, but its worth it. I've tried many items here but the crab fritters and jerk chicken stand out as favorites. The coconut shrimp are frozen pre-packaged... avoid those. But otherwise check it out, its a little pricey, but like I said... you'll enjoy it and go back.

1 Thank brandonhill28
U.s.
“Must have Curried Goat!”
Reviewed April 26, 2013

Jenny and I had dinner with our dear friends Jim and Deb Boyce, Dottie Reames and it was wonderful. You'll need to get there early, though, since it packs out when open. The goat was braised like forever and deep in flavors of the Caribe. You'll have to ask for Scotch Bonnet hot sauce and they certainly do have it in bottles. Their food is "spicy but not hot" as the server described it to us. In our part of five we had about ten different dishes, coconut shrimp, goat, fish, apps, whatnot. The apps are hit or miss, the little flat pastries/empanadas devoid of any taste but the entree dishes were so good who cares? Totally recommend this place and for goodness' sake get there before 6 PM.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank BiminiZane
st. louis
“Over 30 visits and counting....”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

If you are reading this and thinking if it worth the ride to come from as far as Myrtle Beach or Wilmington, I would say you won't be dissapointed. If you don't have reservations, you are going to have to wait. However, if you are a late diner (after 8pm), you should not have a problem. The place is small and noisy so please consider that before sitting down for the best Jamaican food outside of Jamaica.

Raleigh, North Carolina
“Are we in Jamacia?”
Reviewed April 6, 2013 via mobile

Quant Jamacian restaurant with your Caribbean flare. Must try the jerk pork and the Johnny Cake. Portions are huge so come hungry. Reservations a must!