“Casual waterway dining”
Review of Sharky's

Sharky's
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Large groups, Local cuisine, Scenic view, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Drinks, Lunch, Delivery, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Tucked under the Ocean Isle Beach bridge, Sharky's Restaurant features a large indoor dining area as well as outdoor dining on the back deck that overlooks OIB's beautiful waterfront canal and views of the ICW. Menu choices offer the best seafood, salads, sandwiches, appetizers as well as the chef's choice of daily lunch and dinner specials. And all our menu items are reasonably priced! Enjoy ice cold beverages and anything from our menu at either of two bars. If you are planning a wedding, family reunion, birthday celebration or any special event, we have the perfect spot for that too! Sharky's has been the locals favorite for over 25 years and it's easy to see why it's the #1 destination for all visitors to our fantastic island paradise. If you are looking for a fun spot to enjoy great food, great drinks and the best staff, Sharky's Waterfront Restaurant is where you want to be.
Charlotte, NC
“Casual waterway dining”
Reviewed May 27, 2013

This was our first visit and we pulled in because it looked fun, family friendly, and on the waterway. Outside dining is first come first served and the hostess has no idea if there are openings. Hostess took our name as I wandered through the dining area to check the outside area for open seats. None available. We were told a 20-30 minute wait for inside even though plenty of tables were open. There isn't really an area to hang out inside (or if there was one, we weren't directed) so I felt very in the way. The hostess had the personality of cardboard and could hardly smile.

Once we got seated, our waitress was very friendly. The drinks were served fast and very cold. Mixed drinks were strong, which was appreciated. Food was hot and delish. My only complaint would be that I ordered the shrimp tacos because I was not super hungry. It is more of a shrimp wrap instead of tacos and was huge (not a bad thing at all, just not what I was expecting). Manager was visible at all times and was very friendly, checking on the food quality and everything. It was appreciated.

Food was great, and would come back for another visit on our next trip.

Raleigh, North Carolina
“Eat outside”
Reviewed May 23, 2013

Love the grilled grouper sandwich. Or eat a pizza or have conch fritters. SIt outside and watch the boats or eat inside at a big table for lots of friends. Two people or a large group - something for everyone.

Wilmington, North Carolina
“Good place”
Reviewed May 18, 2013

I ordered chicken tenders and fries and slaw. The chicken tenders and fries were yummy. The slaw was horrible! I had to send it back, which I normally don't do, but it was spicy hot. I was vinegar based and I saw pepper flakes in it but it was spicier than just pepper flakes. Didn't like it at all! But like I said the chicken tenders...I would get again. My husband got a burger and fries, and he was very pleased. I ordered an affordable Midori sour and it was perfect! Low prices...Except seafood prices. Only negative was that they weren't seating outside and it would have been nice to eat outside on such a gorgeous evening.

• Visited May 2013
Wooster, Ohio
“Enticing luncheon menu - perfect for the water and sun.”
Reviewed May 18, 2013

We disliked the fact that there were no outside tables to sit at, all bar looking at the ocean sitting side by side. However, in the summer time there is surely a way to seat many more people. Like that they carried 'lite' beer - a rarity.

Concord, NC
“NOTHING REALLY BAD; NOTHING REALLY GREAT”
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Sharky’s is cut out of the same mold as numerous “seafood shacks” that populate the Carolinas coast. Typically, these establishments are modest wood frame buildings with nautical décor, located near some body of water, which apparently is their justification for charging higher prices than the food justifies. You eat off wood tables, beer comes in a bottle without a glass, and you can have your seafood cooked however you like, as long as it is fried. You get the picture. Sharky’s met all these characteristics – not that there’s anything wrong with that. The location was a strongpoint, within sight of the intercostal waterway and just over the bridge onto the island. In fact, it is one of the few restaurants actually on the Ocean Isle Beach. The fried grouper and fried flounder were reasonably breaded and tasty and the service was quick and attentive. But while there was nothing really wrong with Sharky’s, so was there nothing really great about it. We had a decent meal with fast service at a higher price that warranted….welcome to the water view. Perhaps the most interesting aspect of the evening was the sign on the door that advised us this was “Thai night.” Well that breaks the mold! I’m not sure how a chef in a North Carolina fish house would branch out into Thai food -is there a fried Pad Thai -? but the incongruity of it all tempted me to go oriental. But I didn’t, and the result was an OK meal in a casual but pleasant environment, but nothing really special.
Next time, I’ll try the Thai food.

• Visited April 2013