“First time stay”
Review of Ocean Crest Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Oak Island
Ocean Crest Motel
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Oak Island
Lake Wylie, South Carolina
“First time stay”
Reviewed August 1, 2014

My first time at Ocean Crest Motel and I loved it the rooms are very clean and the view was outstanding a great 4 days in the afternoon they make fresh popcorn and always have the coffee pot hot and ready The front desk help were the best especially Sherry we got there to early to check in but she gave us a parking pass and told us we could use the bathroom to change into our beach wear we in turn told her we would go to the aquarium so she gave us directions on how to get there and other things that we could do on Ft.Fisher I would recommend this motel and I would DEFNITELY stay again We had a great time

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Nancy W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Asheboro, North Carolina
Reviewed July 27, 2014

A friend and I were looking for a small hotel on the beach of Oak Island and this was the perfect spot. We could sit on the private balcony and take in the sound, sight and fresh smell of the ocean or we could just walk across the sand and be in the ocean. Our room was clean and there was a small table with two chairs inside that we pulled over to the sliding door where we ate breakfast. At night we left the door partially open with the screen door locked to enjoy the breeze and sound of the water. There is also a great restaurant next door. As two seniors who want a quiet vacation, we have found our place on Oak Island and expect to return soon. The proprietors who are very friendly, also offer a pay for 5 nights, stay for 7 plan.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the ocean and with private balconies are the best.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 25, 2014 via mobile

We vacation here every year & are never disappointed. We were pleased to see the hotel make upgrades to the rooms ( new linens, paint, & shower). We always have a great time. This is a great motel for the price & location.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Lori R
Lexington, North Carolina
Reviewed July 24, 2014 via mobile

15% discount if you stay 3 nights during the week in a non oceanfront room. We opted for an oceanfront room. How awesome to open your door and there's the water! The room was very clean and the daily maid service was superior! Front desk ladies we so welcoming. We would most definitely stay there again.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank cluvsbeach
Jonas Ridge, North Carolina
Reviewed July 21, 2014

The overall price, friendliness of staff, and general cleanliness make this a good value, but be prepared for a few things...

I was very happy with all staff contacts from making reservations, to check in, to answering a question on Day 2, to check out. The housecleaning staff were like ninjas-we never seen them even coming and going throughout the day but they were there doing a great job.

We first arrived in a deluge and although I know I can’t blame the motel for the rain, the parking lot was flooded, the water having overwhelmed the storm drains. I’m not sure if drains in the parking lot are the motel’s problem (I would think so using local rules where I live) or Oak Island’s problem but I had to make two trips to my car through 4 to 6 inches of water, completely soaking my shoes. Even after the rain stopped it was several hours until the water started draining, and some was still there the next day.

The non-oceanfront room we were given was up steps on the opposite side of the building, so some walking and effort was involved with taking a week’s worth of luggage, clothing, and incidentals to the room.

The room was small but sufficient for our needs. The mini-fridge had three large rust spots on the bottom of the door which looked bad but didn’t affect use-just serving as a week-long reminder this wasn’t “five-star” lodging.

The only other thing that was a pain was the windows have mini-blinds but no curtains. The east facing room we had lit up before actual sunrise. While some may say this is fine for beach trips or minimize this issue, it was a real pain some mornings. The first morning I assumed we had OVERSLEPT as it was so light in the room (thinking it HAD to be 10 or 11 am) and I checked my cell phone and it was only 6:10 am. Actual sunrise was 6:18 AM that day, per a local weather forecast. Even at night the outdoor lighting shines through. So…if you think you may have late nights or need to sleep in, take some thumbtacks and tack up a beach towel or something over the window.

I would stay again due to the overall value in spite of these points.

Room Tip: I would opt for ocean facing, private balcony.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank David K
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed July 18, 2014

The first thing to say is that there is a shortage of hotel space on Oak Island. There are no "upper end" hotels/motels. The second thing to say is that, given my first statement, set your expectations properly. This is a traditional, "old style" motel with two floors. It consists of at least three different buildings, each offering a slightly different experience. We stayed in the "blue building" that had private balconies facing the beach for each room. I recommend this building over the others.

Our room included two queen beds, a small table with two chairs and a small refrigerator. There was a four-cup coffee pot and the office provideed free coffee packets. The balcony included three plastic chairs. The room was basic but clean and functional. There were groups of all ages staying in other rooms. The exteriors of the buildings looked a bit rough but I guess that's to be expected because of the wear from the weather. Wi-fi was spotty but worked fine most of the time.

The best thing about the motel is the fact that it sits right at the beach. It has a postage-stamp size swimming pool that we never used because it was crowded and because several people were smoking around the pool.

The office provided free coffee plus specialty drinks for a small fee. A small microwave was in the office. The office is closed at night. A washing machine was available for a small fee.

All in all, the room was adequate for our needs. If my timing had been better, I would have tried to rent a house in the area but the Saturday-to-Saturday rental rules in the summer prohibited that. So, this motel was second best.

Room Tip: Blue building with private balcony. Will have to climb stairs.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Senior60+
Houston, Texas
Reviewed July 17, 2014

You're paying for a motel right on the ocean at a reasonable price. If you're worried about the finer details of lodging, then look elsewhere - you should be outside!

I paid extra for a private oceanfront balcony and was happy that I did. In the morning and evening I would sit outside and read on the balcony to the sounds of the ocean. Then my wife and I would take a walk on the beach. It was such a relaxing break from the stress of work / everyday life.

Room Tip: Get an Oceanfront (Private Balcony) room for a great experience.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Comfort Suites
Comfort Suites
#2 of 5 in Southport
Wingate by Wyndham Southport

Been to Ocean Crest Motel? Share your experiences!