“Great Find” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Flying Fish Cafe

Flying Fish Cafe
Ranked #1 of 58 Restaurants in Oak Island
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Scenic view, Kids, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Stamford, Connecticut
“Great Find”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2012

We just moved to the area in November and had a Thursday night meal at FFC, I had the Tuna steak, and really did not know what to expect. It is so quiet on Oak Island this time of year. But, wow was I surprised when a rare cut of yellow fin hit the table, it was so fresh and well prepared we could not have been happier. Everyone in our party of six walked out with smiles and full stomachs. Go there tonight and enjoy.

• Visited November 2012
3 Thank Jim P

Southport, North Carolina
“It is, so far, open in winter”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2012 via mobile

We visited Thanksgiving weekend. I enjoyed my steak; very tender. Two of guests had Pialila Chicken and both said it needed more sauce. Two other family members had something like a fried salad and enjoyed it. The staff was nice but this is not in my price range or, other than the stesk, not my style. Every couple of months here is ok.

1 Thank Bea R
NC
“Delicious Food On the Beach, But Pricey”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2012

After hearing such wonderful things about this restaurant, my husband and I finally decided to go to the Flying Fish Cafe mid-week for lunch. They certainly lived up to their billing. The restaurant wasn't very busy while we were there - mid-week, off season you usually don't see big crowds. Our waiter was friendly, attentive and contributed to the over-all positive experience. The setting outside the windows was lovely - sand and surf. We ate inside rather than on the outdoor porch as it was quite warm and humid that day. Inside, decor is kind of sparse, but it is a beachside restaurant after-all.
The lunch menu is small but has a nice selection of items. We didn't order any of the seafood selections as we were having seafood for dinner that night (I know - strange to go to a seafood restaurant for lunch when you're planning seafood for dinner, but this outing was spur of the moment). Anyway, we both ordered the bluecheese hamburger with grilled onions, tomato, lettuce and a wonderful dressing on a Kaiser roll. It came with a "ton" of delicious fries. The hamburger was huge, tasty, and juicy - cooked perfectly, but way too much food - my husband and I could have easily shared one hamburger and fries. I took half my hamburger home. I will have to say that the prices are kind of "pricey". Each of our hamburgers was $11 or $12 and with a soft drink, tax and tip, you end up with a pretty hefty lunchtime check (and I only had water to drink).
I think this restaurant needs to do two things - have an option for smaller portions and less cost, or if not that option, then just make the portions smaller and charge less. As well, I think lowering the prices during the off season in order to bring in the locals is really important. As I've said in other reviews, other area restaurants offer those incentives, as well as "senior portions and prices." Vacationers usually factor the cost of meals into their vacation budgets. In my opinion, you won't be able to keep the locals coming on a regular basis (regardless of the quality of the food) if the prices are too high and it's we locals who help to keep these businesses afloat during the off-season.
My lowering of the "value" in the rating below is not because you don't get enough food for what you're paying, or that the food isn't delicious, but because for lunch the amount of food and the cost is not a good value. When you have to take home food because the portion size is overwhelming, it loses it's value - certain foods do not do well when re-heated.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank potterygirlNC
Arlington, Virginia
“Someone can cook at the beach”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2012

We spend a few weeks a year in OKI and have gone of Flying Fish many times since they opened for happy hour/drinks on on the outdoor deck overlooking the ocean. We had dinner for the first time Saturday night and were impressed. Burger ordered medium was actually medium with quality beef, toppings and great flavor. My wife had the maui fish tacos that were amazing (baha style with jicama). Seemed like a chef involved based on the cooking and not the usual beach cooking which is just Sysco prepared foods reheated. I hope they can keep enough business in offseason to stay opened and look forward to next summer. Music on the outdoor deck would be a nice feature to add if they can. 2 beach volleyball nets set right outside of restaurant so for happy hour you can always mix in some volleyball before or after drinks. Just us two but family has been there a few times so good for both families or couples.

• Visited September 2012