“Skip it - except maybe for breakfast”

Russells Place Restaurant
Ranked #20 of 60 Restaurants in Oak Island
Cuisines: American
Reviewed June 28, 2012

I like dinner food, I like southern style cooking so I was expecting to like Russells. However, I found the food overcooked and very bland. The locals seem to swarm here for breakfast though...I haven't tried their breakfast, perhaps it is better

There are newer reviews for Russells Place Restaurant

Reviewed June 27, 2012

Had breakfast here today, it was very loud I could barely hold a conversation. The food was mediocre although my husband said his was good. Mine tasted very salty, the corned beef hash had very little flavor at all. Waitress wasn't very pleasant but I gues they were pretty busy. Won't go back.

1  Thank Stephf54
Reviewed June 9, 2012

Please keep in mind that some of these reviews are from dishonest folks that had a falling out with management or work for another restaurant.
I'm not from this area but even I know this is a local favorite. I visit oak island often and this is my wife's father's recommended place. They took us in on a busy Saturday morning and got us in right away. This is our second visit but 1st with our 3 month old. They got us in right away but their booths do not fit a carseat, at least ours. This is the first time we had this problem and we eat out alot. The wait staff was so accomodating, friendly and patient. When my wife had to take our newborn oustide to feed, the staff put her food in the micro and heated it for her. That was awesome. The food however, did not deserve the awards they have been given. At least today. The food was good enough but not worthy of an award. the "hashbrowns" were simply potato chucks deep fried and my bacon was deep fried. bacon can be good that way, yes, but is that award worthy? Who is not capable of doing that? Also, that main dishes, baby bear, mam bear and papa bear did not include hashbrowns or a bread so we were confused.
In their defense, I vaguely remember a better food experience.

Reviewed May 20, 2012

This restaurant is in dire need of a refurbishment. The place is also dirty. We were so hungry though and without knowing much about the island we stuck it out. The food is cheap but you truly you get what you pay for. I ordered a chicken salad sandwich that was small and hardly had any on it. It also didn't taste much like chicken salad. The lettuce and tomato I asked for was extra and they do not serve chips. If you want a side of french fries or apple slices, it is extra. On a positive note, the burgers are pretty thick and tasted good but I still would not recommend this restaurant mainly due to the cleanliness issue. As far as the staff, they were not friendly at all. We were visiting the island and didn't feel welcomed by them. In fact, my husband tried to joke with an employee to start a conversation but it was like pulling teeth to get a reaction. I agree with another poster here..very unfriendly to visitors. They seem to cater well to the locals though as we noticed lots of conversation going on between staff and people who live there.

Reviewed May 11, 2012

As we sat down the the silverware was thrown @ us .... i mean come on ! and then the menus! Then the waitress asked us " what do you want"?! UMMM... hello we just sat down you threw the silverware @ us we've never been here before give us a second! Then as we placed the order there was some confusion while placing the order and she snapped back @ my dad and talked to him as if he was dumb ...The food wasnt all that great ... Save your money