“Excellent service, atmosphere, view, and Food!”
Review of Island Way

Island Way
Ranked #5 of 61 Restaurants in Oak Island
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Fine dining ocean front restaurant featuring steaks and seafood.
Virginia, United States
“Excellent service, atmosphere, view, and Food!”
Reviewed August 3, 2014

We visited Oak Island for a family & friends vacation, and chose this restaurant for our "Date Night". What a great choice! We made reservations that afternoon and did not have to wait when we arrived. We were well greeted and the service was friendly and professional. Although we were not at a window seat, we were up a few steps on a platform and had a beautiful view of the ocean and pier as we ate.

We started with the crab dip, wonderful - served with toast. I would have liked half toast, half bread for variety, but the bread came out next. The bread was also tasty. I ordered the Grouper Neptune and it was amazing - the asparagus was perfect, the crab, the shrimp, the sauce! My husband ordered the fried seafood platter with the pecan broccoli - I've never had such delicious broccoli. For dessert we shared a salted caramel vanilla crumble layered cake that was fantastic! We ordered an extra to take home to our friends. With drinks, appetizer, entrees, and desserts the bill came to about $100 - very reasonable for an extravagant night out at the beach.

Horsham, Pennsylvania
“Amazing Last Night Out!”
Reviewed August 3, 2014

We were looking for somewhere romantic and "fancy" for our last night and found a menu for Island Way in our condo. We checked it out and made a reservation. I definitely recommend making a reservation as this place was packed! We were sat almost immediately and had one of the best seats in the house. Overlooking the pier, we didn't even have time to pick up the wine list before we were welcomed by our friendly server Ally. We knew it was going to be a great dinner!

Drinks:
My pomegranate martini was one of the best I've ever had! I was mad that I drove to the restaurant because I also wanted to try the Lemon Drop martini. I'm sure it would have been divine. The Long Island Iced Tea was also delish. The drinks were reasonably priced ($8.00/tea, $8.25/martini).

Food:
For appetizers we opted for the Crab Dip and the Oysters Rockefeller. The oysters were HUGE and stuffed with ample amounts of bacon, spinach and cheese. They were absolutely delicious. The crab dip was even better! Though mixed with cream cheese, all you really tasted was crab. It comes with a house made crostini that was very complimentary to the warm gooey dip. As we ate our appetizers, Ally brought a bowl of warm bread over. YUM!

For dinner, we ordered the Lobster Double (twin 8 oz. lobster tails) and the filet mignon. I don't really know what to say other than OH MY GOODNESS. The filet was one of the most tender I have ever had and it was cooked PERFECTLY (med rare). I had the vegetable medley as my side and was extremely happy. They were seasoned perfectly and it was a great compliment to the rich bacon wrapped steak. The twin lobster tails were absolutely perfect. The green bean almandine was fresh and seasoned well. It was a light compliment to the rich buttery lobster. Overall, the food was absolutely spectacular. Our only disappointment is that we didn't save room for dessert!

Service/Atmosphere:
Ally was very friendly and attentive. She came over to the table frequently and kept our drinks flowing. All of the wait staff helped each other by bringing plates as they were done in the kitchen and/or cleaning tables. It was nice to not ever have to sit at a table surrounded by dirty, empty plates. The atmosphere is beautiful, but loud. You can't beat the view! As crowded as the restaurant gets, it was very loud. Though I wouldn't call this the most romantic restaurant on the island, I would say it's still a FANTASTIC date spot. Just plan on blocking out the noise around you and paying attention to your date.

Overall, this place gets an A+++. We will DEFINITELY be back when we visit the island next.

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank AChampagne37
Knoxville
“Don't Let Location Keep You Away!!”
Reviewed August 1, 2014

I always eat at this restaurant when on the Island. At our arrival my friend ask if we were eating at the Pier. It is located beside the Pier but the restaurant has a great environment feel and the ocean view is great.

In our opinion the steak is the choice meal. The only steaks I have had to match what is presented at Island Way is from Ruth Chris. You don't need a steak knife even though we were given one. We had the steak and Island Way potatoes. It was wonderful.

For dessert we had the Key Lime Pie. It was refreshing and light which was great since we ate so much food. Yes, we did get a clean fork without asking. Perhaps when something like this happens it is because of a new sever. I am always extremely happy with the food and price.

• Visited August 2014
Jackson, Missouri
“Alway my favorite, but missed some details this time”
Reviewed July 29, 2014

We have a vacation home on Oak Island NC. This is a perfect event/date night restaurant. My favorite....The Chef NEVER misses....Food is always excellent. Atmosphere is exceptional as it is directly on the ocean and next to the pier for an après dinner walk.

This past visit though, I was disappointed the for a $200 dinner for four the server did not know to provide fresh new utensils with each course. I even requested a new utensil for my entrée/desert and did not receive it. With such excellent pallets the servers at this level should know that. I had to wipe my entrée off my fork to eat my dessert. NOT COOL.

Still would go back over and over for the terrific, unique and creative chef.

Ellicott City, Maryland
“Good food, good service, beautiful view”
Reviewed July 29, 2014

TIP: for oceanfront window seating, make a reservation a week in advance. Island Way, with white table cloths and attentive serving staff, seems a little more upscale than most of the restaurants on Oak Island. We called for a 7:30 reservation less than an hour before arriving, and they seated our party of three immediately upon arrival. (The reservation was a good idea, as the tables were continuously filled throughout our meal.) The server took plenty of time to tell us the specials and answer questions about the menu and food preparation. We all had entrees with filet mignon; my wife and I the combination with shrimp and crab ($$$$), our teen just the steak ($$$). The food was prepared perfectly and was delicious. There are plenty of seafood entrees on the menu, and several entrees are less than $20, so your meal need not be as expensive as ours was. There is an extensive wine list. Island Way has early dining specials and serves lunch. According to our server, outdoor seating is usually used for overflow but can be reserved. Our dinner was relaxing, and we never felt rushed, a pet peeve of mine.