“Best View on Island”

Island Way
Ranked #5 of 59 Restaurants in Oak Island
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Fine dining ocean front restaurant featuring steaks and seafood.
Reviewed June 22, 2014

I am not going to write a dissertation but a review. It has been a while since visiting this restaurant. I went on a Saturday night and decided since I was along to go on the Patio. The Patio is enclosed with plexaglass , has fans and quite cozy. The view of the beach is right in front of you and beautiful.

I chose an early bird special. I ordered the Surf and Turf. The steak is small and it was just 3 shrimp. I found it to be the perfect amount of food for a lady. After all it was the early bird special (which I chose) and was only $14.99. I found the food delicious, plentiful, and the environment the best on the Island. Michael was my server. He was very attentive and even checked on the ice in my glass and brought extra without my asking. I have seen several complaints about receiving on 3 shrimp (which states on the menu the number you will be getting) but I found it just enough. My steak was cooked perfect. This is one of my favorite dining on the Island. Don't be fooled by the location since there is a pier next door.

Reviewed June 16, 2014 via mobile

I travel on business a lot and dine at plenty of restaurants . This one is definitely not a good one. Bad service and over cooked steaks were just a few of the problems.

1  Thank Maddiehanes
Reviewed June 13, 2014

When to visit: When in need of a room with a view for lunch and dinner during the summer and dinner only in the winter.

Type: Some say seafood, some say steak house.  Personally, I don't go to the beach for steak nor do I go to the mountains for seafood.

Ambiance: Nice linen table cloths under glass bracketed with the sweeping line of windows framing the sea and beach. Decor is minimalist with dark woods along the wall and floor and dark leather chairs and some framed French posters versus the peachy beachy style of many on the island. The beer options are fairly standard with American pop including Sam Adams, Yuengling (which the server called Ling Ling, probably a Chinese beer), and a little flair of Stella Artois. The most expensive decor item remains the view, although the kitchen was replaced this year with all new appliances and even some modifications to the bar and server area in the main restaurant. Traditional items like the fish and chips or seafood combination are not particularly inspired but not radically different from the county standards. Try Grouper Neptune or Blackened Shrimp Alfredo and one of several creamy rich desserts. I come for the view to really reward myself and feel like I'm at the beach.  It's not a New England clambake on the beach, but I can adjust to the slight uptick in formality to a clambake.  Sometimes it's fun to play adult dress up and stow the shorts and sandals.  Not the best place for kids, though I've seen them here. Their menu options include chicken strips, popcorn shrimp, burger (all with fries), or pasta. They do pay attention to some of the details like sides that make the meal more interesting with an occasional gratifying palate surprise like Oysters Rockefeller or Bananas Foster French Toast, dark rum fired over sour dough bread.

Difference Dividend: They do have few other menu options-calamari, Filet Neptune with tenderloin topped with shrimp and crab and bear noise, and grilled tuna with sweet apple salsa-beyond the basic Calabash fry fest available elsewhere.

Service: I've never been one of the family here during the twenty years I vacationed a block away, but service is acceptable and the staff attentive.

Vegetarian value: If I were recommending for my vegetarian son and daughter-in-law, I'd say you could find more alternatives elsewhere.  That said, you can get more than green beans in fatback and they advertise more vegetarian items on request. Nice options include quiche, French toast, a veggie burger, vegetable panini, or cheese ravioli.

Also try: Wine and beer go with a nice meal and are an option here.  There's a deck for an alfresco option, however, not in the typical ninety-degree summer heat of Oak Island.  Might do for a quick drink.

Pay: your server.

Always check for business hours as many places close for the winter, close for a couple hours in the PM, or can't be found when the fish are biting.

Reviewed May 30, 2014

I wanted to take my wife to a nice place for her birthday and decided on Island Way. Reservations were made and we looked forward to our evening.

When we arrived I asked if we could sit next to the window and was told that all of those tables were "reserved". Their web site notes that tables cannot be reserved, which is why I didn't. When we were seated there were four empty tables at the window, and when we left the same tables were empty and had not been used.

Our waiter did an OK job though he was quite over attentive. I was amused at how he bragged on himself as being mentioned repeatedly on TripAdviser reviews, which coincidentally occurred when he brought our bill. It was way too late to try to hustle a big tip, in my opinion.

The food was our biggest disappointment. My wife ordered a Surf and Turf meal with an extra side. She asked for her steak medium rare, but it came to the table quite well done. She said it did have a lot of flavor in spite of being overcooked. Her shrimp (three small ones) were "OK" in her words, but I know it's in her nature to suck it up and make do.

I ordered a combination plate of flounder, scallops, shrimp, and oysters. Now I know not to expect "fish camp" portions at an upscale restaurant, but what I got was six dime size "popcorn" shrimp, two nickel size scallops, two shriveled up and overcooked fried oysters, and probably the smallest flounder fillet I've ever had. The rest of my plate had a huge pile of creamed potatoes I had chosen as my side dish. The potatoes were very good, by the way.

I was determined that this would be a pleasant meal at a nice place for us, therefore I accepted our meals without comment or complaint. The food wasn't going to get better, so it would have been pointless. If you decide to go here I hope you have a much better experience than we did.

1  Thank Poppy B
Reviewed May 22, 2014

Extremely disappointed with my last dining experience at Island Way. They try to cram too many seats into a small space and it is very, very noisy. When we made our selections, we were told that they were out of the "specials" and it was only 7 pm. Then we selected another fish item on the menu, and were told they were out of that also. Settled on the scallops and they were very bland. Considering you only get one side dish and no salad, the prices are high. Also, our service was poor, I finished my scallops before I got my side dish. We were also charged for some items we never got.

2  Thank jacfs