“Where's the food?”

Island Way
Ranked #4 of 61 Restaurants in Oak Island
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Fine dining ocean front restaurant featuring steaks and seafood.
Supply
“Where's the food?”
Reviewed October 26, 2013

Nice view but the food was lacking. I ordered the ocean delight. Lightly battered, all 4 shrimp, 3 scallops, 2 oysters and a small flounder filet. If not for the bread and mashed potatoes, I would have left hungry. All this and a glass of tea....$18!

Never again.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Edwina M

Southport, North Carolina, United States
“Beach View Restaurant”
Reviewed October 22, 2013

A very good destination for the beach loving crowd. Beautiful views, decent food offerings and fair prices.

Visited August 2013
Mooresville, North Carolina, United States
“Best View!”
Reviewed October 13, 2013

My husband and I visited Island Way during the week in late August and were surprised at how busy the restaurant was on a week night! then when we saw the view and tasted the food we saw why. I had the oysters, well prepared and DELICIOUS! My husband had a steak also very well prepared. The service was a little slow due to a large birthday party that was going on at the same time as our dinner. The party was a little distracting, but since I had made reservations, we had a lovely window table. We will definitely visit again this fall.

• Visited August 2013
Supply
“Excellent service, beautiful view”
Reviewed October 11, 2013

I've enjoyed eating here twice, and both times ordered the lightly battered and lightly fried oysters, served with drawn butter - unbeatable! I've never had oysters so delicious, and I'll probably never order anything else at Island Way. Loved 'em! Other diners at our table had varied reactions to their selections. My husband thought his medallions of beef were "too chewy" and not cooked enough to be medium, as he requested. A friend ordered a delicious-sounding seafood special of the day, and really didn't care for the taste of it or the accompaning sauce. Our sides, fresh green beans, and the house potato choice, were very good.
We visited here on a busy Saturday night. Be sure to have reservations, even off season. Every table was filled throughout the evening. Nevertheless, the service was impeccable. Our waitress never hovered, yet was right there if we needed her. She was even quite knowledgeable about the wine we ordered. We were very impressed with her, and the other servers we observed. We'll be back.

• Visited September 2013
Southport, North Carolina
“Great View, But ...”
Reviewed October 4, 2013

Based on the great reviews received by Island Way my wife and I had great expectations for this restaurant. Well, I agree that the view at sunset is great. Having said that I have run out of positive things to say about the restaurant. I started with a house salad which had obviously been poured out of a bag of mixed greens and a couple of cucumber slices added. It came with ranch dressing even though I had asked for oil and vinegar. My wife ordered scallops which were coated with a very sharp cheese. She said it overpowered the scallops even after she removed the cheese. For my entree I ordered the NC Style Crab Cake. Now NC crab cakes are not noted for their flavor. They use too much filler and too little crab. Even by NC standards this crab cake was tasteless. (I also suspect that it had not been made fresh in the kitchen but arrived by truck.) My wife ordered Sashimi Tuna. She said it was okay but only average in taste. Her side was broccoli which had been so overcooked it had no flavor. For desert we split a chocolate brownie with ice cream. The brownie was okay but would have been better had someone taken the time to warm it slightly. I think it had just come out of the cooler. Overall I have had better food at chain restaurants and at half the price. We definitely will not return to this restaurant.

• Visited September 2013