“Best on the island.”

Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Portage, MI
“Best on the island.”
Reviewed April 3, 2013 via mobile

This was a great find on the island. Rennin was a great waitress who ws very patient with us and a four year old. The four was outstanding. Two of us has shrimp and grits and it got rave reviews...hard to come by from these two. It's nit fine fining , it us above average var fi98d, were going back before the week is out.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank roxlaw

“GREAT food!”
Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

Everything that hit our table was outstanding - my drink, the appetizers, specials, the sides. I LOVED the cole slaw. We left the bisque bowl wiped clean.

1 Thank Walteaux
“Great Atmosphere, Even Better Food”
Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

We were in Oak Island for a week long vacation and on our first night we decided to try Shagger Jacks. I had the Shrimp and Grits, which were Cajun style and delicious. The portion was so large that I took half of it home. My husband had the BBQ cheddar bacon burger. He also thought it was delicious and extremely filling. We also ordered the chicken dip as an appetizer. It was a large portion and served with warm tortilla chips. The dip was amazing! Very cheesy and full of chicken. All of our food came out very quickly and had a good presentation. Our bill was only $30 for all of that, which is much less than I thought the food was worth.

We loved it so much that we went back for lunch another day. I had the oyster po'boy, with was delicious and served with a homemade slaw and tomato aioli and fries on the side. My husband had the southwest burger, which he loved. We also shared the fried pickles, which were delicious and obviously freshly made, not frozen. Will definitely go there again.

2 Thank SamanthaHam
Buffalo, NY
“Great place for a laid back meal”
Reviewed March 13, 2013

This place was really cool. They have a unique menu with twists on all sorts of familiar food. Their peel and eat shrimp were so yummy. Their tacos were delicious as were their Gouda potatoes. Great atmosphere....I bet it would be even more fun in the summer when you could eat outside. Great staff too. Loved everything about it :)

Visited March 2013
3 Thank laurel284
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Beware”
Reviewed March 10, 2013

We have dined at Shagger Jacks on several occasions over the years in hopes that we would grow to really like it. This past weekend we decided to give it another go and were extremely disappointed. I would like to preface this review by mentioning that it is a rare occasion indeed that I actually take the time to craft a critique of our dining experience. It should also be known that our server was excellent and none of the following reflects on her in any way.

Shagger Jacks’s menu is very limited which is perfectly fine as long as the items listed are executed well. The small selection coupled with higher prices than comparable restaurants in the area would leave one to believe that the ingredient quality would be of high standard, which unfortunately for us was absolutely false. I specifically asked about one menu item with chicken that looked appealing. We learned that although Shagger Jack’s has several menu items with chicken, no white meat was utilized for any of them. While I understand that it’s necessary at times to scale back in certain areas in order to make a profit, sacrificing the main ingredient is not the best choice. I instead opted for “The Southporter” which was described as filet medallions finished with smoked tomato aioli and
potato medley and a side salad ($14.99) and my husband ordered the half rack of slow cooked ribs, gouda potatoes and apple coleslaw ($15.99). Our orders arrived promptly enough, no problem there. My steak was situated on top of the aforementioned “potato medley” which was really frozen Ore Ida hash brown potatoes devoid of any extras (sautéed onions, green peppers, etc). When I think “potato medley” I think something above and beyond frozen, fried potatoes. My steak is was undeniably the most disappointing aspect however. The menu touted the steak as “filet medallions”. What I was served was flat and more akin in texture and flavor to a flank steak. I truly do not think the steak that was served to me was anything close to a filet, but there is no way for to positively prove it. At $15.99 for a half rack, my husband stated that there were much better ribs at chain restaurants. We are not ones to complain about prices, but poor quality food should not carry high quality prices. It appears that quality has been cast aside to make a higher profit, which is unfortunate.

• Visited March 2013