“Highly Recommended!”

The Shady Lawn Lodge
Garner, North Carolina, United States
“Highly Recommended!”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

We were planning a weekend gettaway to the mountains. I searched and searched for a place for us to stay. We wanted to stay near to Boone, NC because we had tickets to do the Ghost Trian and to Autumn at Oz. However, it was AppState's homecomming and all the nearby places were booked or way too expensive. We really needed a large suite or two rooms to accomadate us (four adults and two children). We stayed in the two bedroom apartment suite and it was soo nice! Very, very clean and modern! Everyone we met there was friendly. The girls begged to go inside the lodge office because the people were so nice to them and even had candy!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Jonesborough, Tennessee
Reviewed September 17, 2012

My husband and I recently spent a night at the recently remodeled Shady Lawn Lodge. We love taking advantage of the many gorgeous day hiking opportunities in the area and we visit western North Carolina for that purpose several times each year. Neither of us are backpackers, so camping isn't really an option. We live about an hour and a half away and often just drive to and from the area for a same-day hike. However, we often talk about how nice it would be to just stay the night after a long day's hike. On a rare few occasions we have stayed overnight in Boone, NC but Newland is so much more convenient for us. We have driven by the Shady Lawn many, many times. I used to marvel at the quaint "Air Conditioned by Nature" designation on the old signage. I can't believe I didn't spend a night here until recently. It's a splendid place to hang your hat (and your bags) for the night. The prices are very reasonable and I love the pet-friendly policy. The Lodge has a welcoming and restful small town motor lodge "feel" of days gone by, yet it's completely updated. The exterior is warmly rustic and the landscaping is lovely. The interior (we stayed in a standard queen/king room) has everything you'll need for an overnight stay including a mini fridge, microwave and small coffee maker. There was no bathtub in the standard room, but the shower was spacious and I loved the tiled construction. The only thing I found to be lacking was Kleenex! I know that sounds like a frivolous inconvenience, but for me it's important because I have allergies. The addition of a Kleenex dispenser or just a box of Kleenex would make it just about perfect. We will definitely be staying here again. I love this location. I hope it maintains its quality, convenience and charm.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed September 10, 2012

We stayed in the apartment suite for one night when visiting for a friend's wedding.

Pros:
Newly renovated, bathroom was awesome
Comfy beds
Plenty of space
Friendly and helpful staff
Price

Cons:
No closets

The pros definitely outweighed the con, but I could see how with an extended stay, not having closets could be a problem. The front desk staff was extremely helpful, and really tried to make our stay pleasant.

I would definitely stay here again if visiting the area.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Reviewed September 10, 2012

This hotel was recommended to us when we were travelling to the area for a family wedding - we needed a place that would accept dogs, and didn't want to spend an arm and a leg. I was a little concerned, because I've stayed in other 60's era motels that were renovated, and they've usually fallen under the category "It was OK....."

The Shady Lawn was not like this. While it's still very obviously a 60's era motel at heart, the renovation was done incredibly well. The rooms were very nicely done, the bathrooms were gorgeous. Many times in old hotels that have been redone everything still feels "old", but these rooms did not.

The staff were incredibly helpful and friendly, too. We had one room for two nights, and one room for one night only. When we checked in for the first night, they went ahead and gave us the keycard for the second room - it wasn't activated until the morning, but that way we didn't have to make another trip back to the office. As it turns out, we were out when the rest of our party showed up, and they went ahead and unlocked the room and let them in.

Their dog policy is unbelievably lenient and cheap, and they seem like a hotel that actually likes dogs, rather than one that tolerates them.

My only complaint was that the beds were a little soft for my taste, but all in all, that's a very minor complaint. This was a great find, and I'll definitely come back!

Room Tip: Not all rooms are air conditioned - if this matters to you, ask when you register.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Justin R, Owner at The Shady Lawn Lodge, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our property and your stay. We value your opinions and appreciate your business. We hope you come back soon!
Lexington, Kentucky
Reviewed August 30, 2012

I was excited to hear the Shady Lawn had reopened under new management, but still in the same family. I was not disappointed. The new rooms are beautiful- tastefully decorated, comfortable beds with unbelievable pillows, huge closet, gorgeous shower, mini-fridge, microwave and in-room coffee. The location is great- you can walk down the street to local eateries and it's a reasonable drive to many of the High Country's top attractions. We'll definately stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
North Carolina
Reviewed August 16, 2012

The Shady Lawn Lodge began as the Shady Lawn Motel in the 60's. In the past year, the grandson of the original owner has totally gutted and built back exterior and interiors in an upscale, well-designed, tasteful remodel. They put in spacious bathrooms with granite countertops, a 6' shower (careful...slippery floor), comfortable mattress, and nice, new furniture. Amenities of mini-fridge, microwave, flat-screen TV, and in-room coffee maker round out the convenience and comfort. Although Newland is not a tourist destination, it is a short drive to many attractions, including Crossnore School, Linville Falls, Linville Caverns, Grandfather mountain, ski slopes, tubing, rafting, and incrdible scenery. Lodge staff is friendly and responsive, and the rates can't be beat, especially for the quality. Everything was immaculately clean. I'll be back!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Smalltownexplorer
Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed June 24, 2012

I was in the area for hiking and was not wanting to camp. The Shady Lawn staff was very cordial on the phone. I was given a newly renovated room and was pleased by the cleanliness and quality of accommodations in such a small town. I will stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank apearlbefore
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newland
Best Western Mountain Lodge at Banner Elk
Linville Falls Campground RV Park & Cabins
Four Seasons at Beech
Four Seasons at Beech
#2 of 2 in Beech Mountain

Been to The Shady Lawn Lodge? Share your experiences!