“Disappointing!”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel New Bern Riverfront
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in New Bern
Reviewed August 16, 2010

There seemed to be a lot of staff milling around but only one person at the reception desk who was not very helpful. The whole place smells really damp and musty. When I got to my room on the 5th floor I could hear a lot of music and people from the pool area down below late into the night. My room smelled musty and the bed was not comfortable. The upholstered furniture was stained. The Hilton Honors executive lounge was trashed. the fitness center is located in another building outside. I was most disappointed as I am used to far better from the Hilton chain hotels. I will never stay here again or recommend this to anyone.

3  Thank easterntraveler01

Reviewed August 16, 2010

I see from a lot of the comments about the noise and condition of the rooms but I had no issues at all. The website does not make it clear but there are 2 buildings at this location. The first one is the hotel building which is big and your typical hotel with lobby, business center, restaurant, pool and the outdoor bar. The second is a smaller building called the Inn Building we stayed in a room with a great view of the waterfront, the fountain they show on the website is in the inn building. It is nicer in my opinion but you may have to call the hotel or reservation 800 number to specifically request the inn, we did not know that is just where we ended up. LOVED IT and the town of New Bern is a great place to shop, dine and walk around.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank jakemanNC
Reviewed August 13, 2010

Hiltons don't generally get confused with Animal House. In New Bern, North Carolina, the Hilton blares loud music and over-miked DJs from the outside pool bar, provides damp sheets unwashed since the toga party, and uses Agatha Trunchbull for customer service. I personally liked the rippled, damp carpet; tripping adds a excitement to travel. Such a beautiful town and harbor. Such a disappointing hotel. Don't stay here. More important, dump your Hilton stock now!

4  Thank Oseledec63
Reviewed August 13, 2010

I'm writing from the hotel, in a top-floor king room with a balcony overlooking the harbor. The harbor is beautiful and serene. The hotel is a disaster. Carpets and upholstery are filthy; bedding is OK, although it's more like what you'd expect of Motel 6 than the Hilton. But the real problem is noise from the outdoor hotel bar. The music they're playing is so loud that I can hear it -- well -- even with the balcony door closed. We're in the midst of a thunderstorm, there are no customers at this bar, yet they persist in playing loud music. A colleague and I requested separately that they lower the volume at least until the rain stops. This elicited three phone calls from management to tell me that we should understand that "many establishments do this." (One patronizing phone call isn't enough?) Neither the Hilton website where I booked the room nor the front desk staff who checked us in informed us that the room came with a soundtrack that can be heard five floors up. The general manager offered to move my room, but I've been on a difficult business trip for two days and don't care to repack, move, and resettle tonight. Don't stay here. Ever. I know I won't.

3  Thank BusinessTraveler48
Reviewed August 12, 2010

I recently took my elderly parents to the Hilton in New Bern for a much needed get away. My father suffered a stroke the end of March and this was my parents first outing since this big event. I also wanted to take my parents somewhere special to help them celebrate their 51st Wedding Anniversary, so we decided a trip to New Bern (from the Raliegh area) would be just the ticket. I did some research before booking (via tripadvisor - thank you) a hotel room for one night. I read the very mixed reviews on the Hilton, but decided to find out for myself. The setting was so amazing and it was a Hilton after all - they had to be good. And, they were! When we arrived, I asked if we could possibly upgrade from our booked river view room to a river view room with a balcony - no problem - and at the same rate! I also asked the wonderful gentleman who helped us get situated in our room if we could possibly have chairs for the balcony and he said, "no problem" and came back with three chairs for us. The view was extraordinary. We had a very relaxing time. Oh, one other thing, after my mother and I came back from touring the gardens at Tryon Palace, we were greeted by a wonderful gentelman in formal attire who handed us each a flute of champagne! They were also offering sample bites from their hotel restaurant, "Christoph's" (sp?). We were totally sold and after having previously planned on going to a restaurant in town, we decided to dine at the hotel - well worth the stay! We had a wonderful meal! The only downer was the guy from some fat farm who conducted business on his cell phone in the dining room! Forturnatley, he came in at the end of our meal! What do people think? Do others want to hear their business calls while having a meal? The waitress kindly helped us relocate to the terrace where they brought out an on the house dessert for my folks. We really had a lovely time and we would go back again. Thank you Hilton!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed August 9, 2010

This room had a nice view of the marina as promised, but unfortunately it smelled like damp, old motel air conditioning - ick. Definitely not up to usual Hilton standards. If you book at this hotel, be sure and request the Inn - building next door - something we found out too late. Luckily we were only staying one night. The saving grace was a nice dining room breakfast included in our price.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MOtraveler526
Reviewed August 9, 2010

Fancy lobby and rooms, great location, nice pool area; Had to wait over 3 hours to get a remote control for the TV though, requiring two calls to the front desk (they forgot). Also was surprised there was no refrig in the room; Easily walkable for restaurants in town, nice views of the harbor. Avoid the main building on the hotel on the waterside if you like it quiet, as there's an outdoor band until 9pm weekends during the summer and then more live music inside until 1am. We could easily hear the band from our balcony room, way down in the next building (and actually they weren't very good) so we were glad we asked the front desk about noise before we took our room key. She was very accommodating to move us.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family