“What a bloody disaster!”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel New Bern Riverfront
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in New Bern
Arlington, Virginia
“What a bloody disaster!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2010

I'm writing from the hotel, in a top-floor king room with a balcony overlooking the harbor. The harbor is beautiful and serene. The hotel is a disaster. Carpets and upholstery are filthy; bedding is OK, although it's more like what you'd expect of Motel 6 than the Hilton. But the real problem is noise from the outdoor hotel bar. The music they're playing is so loud that I can hear it -- well -- even with the balcony door closed. We're in the midst of a thunderstorm, there are no customers at this bar, yet they persist in playing loud music. A colleague and I requested separately that they lower the volume at least until the rain stops. This elicited three phone calls from management to tell me that we should understand that "many establishments do this." (One patronizing phone call isn't enough?) Neither the Hilton website where I booked the room nor the front desk staff who checked us in informed us that the room came with a soundtrack that can be heard five floors up. The general manager offered to move my room, but I've been on a difficult business trip for two days and don't care to repack, move, and resettle tonight. Don't stay here. Ever. I know I won't.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
3 Thank BusinessTraveler48

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
New Hampshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2010

I recently took my elderly parents to the Hilton in New Bern for a much needed get away. My father suffered a stroke the end of March and this was my parents first outing since this big event. I also wanted to take my parents somewhere special to help them celebrate their 51st Wedding Anniversary, so we decided a trip to New Bern (from the Raliegh area) would be just the ticket. I did some research before booking (via tripadvisor - thank you) a hotel room for one night. I read the very mixed reviews on the Hilton, but decided to find out for myself. The setting was so amazing and it was a Hilton after all - they had to be good. And, they were! When we arrived, I asked if we could possibly upgrade from our booked river view room to a river view room with a balcony - no problem - and at the same rate! I also asked the wonderful gentleman who helped us get situated in our room if we could possibly have chairs for the balcony and he said, "no problem" and came back with three chairs for us. The view was extraordinary. We had a very relaxing time. Oh, one other thing, after my mother and I came back from touring the gardens at Tryon Palace, we were greeted by a wonderful gentelman in formal attire who handed us each a flute of champagne! They were also offering sample bites from their hotel restaurant, "Christoph's" (sp?). We were totally sold and after having previously planned on going to a restaurant in town, we decided to dine at the hotel - well worth the stay! We had a wonderful meal! The only downer was the guy from some fat farm who conducted business on his cell phone in the dining room! Forturnatley, he came in at the end of our meal! What do people think? Do others want to hear their business calls while having a meal? The waitress kindly helped us relocate to the terrace where they brought out an on the house dessert for my folks. We really had a lovely time and we would go back again. Thank you Hilton!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Saint Louis, Missouri
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2010

This room had a nice view of the marina as promised, but unfortunately it smelled like damp, old motel air conditioning - ick. Definitely not up to usual Hilton standards. If you book at this hotel, be sure and request the Inn - building next door - something we found out too late. Luckily we were only staying one night. The saving grace was a nice dining room breakfast included in our price.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MOtraveler526
Syracuse, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2010

Fancy lobby and rooms, great location, nice pool area; Had to wait over 3 hours to get a remote control for the TV though, requiring two calls to the front desk (they forgot). Also was surprised there was no refrig in the room; Easily walkable for restaurants in town, nice views of the harbor. Avoid the main building on the hotel on the waterside if you like it quiet, as there's an outdoor band until 9pm weekends during the summer and then more live music inside until 1am. We could easily hear the band from our balcony room, way down in the next building (and actually they weren't very good) so we were glad we asked the front desk about noise before we took our room key. She was very accommodating to move us.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Atlanta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2010

The property is ideally situated along the Trent River and near the charming downtown New Bern area. When I landed at Coastal Carolina Regional Airport, I called the hotel and the shuttle arrived 15 minutes later. The driver apologized for not arriving sooner, noting that he was on a run when I arrived. I didn't feel like the wait was an issue at all, but appreciated his honesty. The drive to the hotel from the airport took just 6 or 7 minutes. When I checked in, the desk clerk wasn't sure whether any river view rooms were available and asked if I minded waiting a few minutes to see whether one was. I was glad I did wait, because the view of the river, marina and nearby bridges was really enjoyable. The room included a refrigerator and 32" or so flat screen, with some of the local channels in HD. The bathroom was tight, as other reviewers have noted. In addition to the great river views, the hotel is a very short walk to the pleasant downtown area, with restaurants, shops and historical ambiance. There were two bottles of water in the room, which were available at no charge to guests, a nice touch. The free Wi-Fi was easy to connect too, but I had to refresh my connection a couple of times to stay online. I ate breakfast at the on site restaurant in the morning and was impressed with how reasonably it was priced. When I checked out, the shuttle was ready to take me to my next stop

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank H0lidayr0ad
New Bern, North Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2010

We were online and getting ready to book a room when my husband pointed out perhaps we should call to see if they had room in the parking lot for our UHaul truck (we were moving to a new house).

Called several times before someone answered finally the phone. The woman who answered was SO rude! She said she didn't even think they had a room available for the night we were looking to book. When I explained that I was getting ready to click "confirm" online right at that moment, she told me she didn't think the website was correct and that she doubted we would even be guaranteed a room.

Not wanting to argue with her about room availability, I explained the reason I was calling was to find out about parking lot space and whether a UHaul truck would have room there. The clerk again told me she thought the hotel was full and that she didn't think they could accomodate a UHaul truck. She put me on hold for a few minutes and when she came back she told me "everyone is too busy to help right now." She said I could call back and ask someone else later if I wanted, but that she couldn't confirm whether we could park a UHaul truck there or not.

I booked with Comfort Suites instead. It is right down the road, about $30 cheaper and still has a riverview. The staff at Comfort Suites was friendly, accomodating and knowledgable about parking facilities in New Bern. Not only did they have room for us to park but they suggested several places we could park in case the parking lot is full.

I hate to say this because I am a Hilton Honors member, but don't waste your time with the Hilton in New Bern. They obviously don't need our money since they are "too busy to help."

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank kimberella2

Travelers are raving about these New Bern hotels

Mocksville, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2010

My wife and I had planned to stay at a recommended B&B but there were no vacancies so we stayed at the Hilton. What aturn of good luck! This was the perfect place from which to tour the town on foot, and to return to and have a leisurely "cool down" by the yacht club. There is no need to spend extra for a River View room, as the City View is quite quaint and attractive. Our room was spacious with a great shower and superb air conditioning.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple