“Stay away if respiratory, allergy issues!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel New Bern Riverfront

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel New Bern Riverfront
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in New Bern
VA
“Stay away if respiratory, allergy issues!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2014

This hotel hasn't had a thing done to it since it's doors opened. For those of us with allergic respiratory issues, asthma, COPD DO NOT STAY HERE! As soon as you round the corner from the check-in desk to the elevators, you start smelling the mustiness and mold. Then you see how thread-bare and worn the carpets are and the scuffs on walls, etc. We stayed on the top floor, not the "club" floor and it was obvious that there had been water damage at some point from the uneven slope of the floors and the strong smell in the room. We were there over holidays and literally intended to only stay there to sleep, so I thought I would be fine. My husband, without allergies, also noted how musty and moldy it smelled. I was in the room less than 2 hours when I had coughing and bronchospasm. We quickly packed and went downstairs to get the car to go to our family's house. I ended up in the emergency room. My attorney relatives were pushing that I demand reimbursement not only for the night but also the ER bill. I do not have asthma...if you do, this is a risky place! Stay in the Comfort Suites by the park. We thought that was where we were staying this time. We have been there before and it is nice and clean and not moldy. The front desk did not offer anything other than a "sorry" and charged us for the night...we were there 2 hours. Even if you don't have allergies, if you just like your lodging not to look like a worn-down, battered spring break hotel then stay elsewhere.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank withoutscreenname
Diane T, Guest Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel New Bern Riverfront, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Good Afternoon

I wanted to take a moment and thank you for your recent stay and for taking the time to review the property. I apologize on behalf of the DoubleTree by Hilton for the issues you faced with the condition of the carpeting. I would like to tell you that we just finished installing carpeting throughout the hotel which includes our guest rooms and the guest floor hallways. We have also replaced some of the furnishings within the guest rooms. We have completed the first phase of the renovations and we look forward to the next improvement at the property. I hope in the future we have the pleasure of you staying with us again so we can give you a rewarding experience. Thank you and have a wonderful day!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2014

The DoubleTree New Bern is an excellent hotel, great staff, great location. However, there is one HUGE FATAL FLAW for business travelers. It is completely unacceptable, in my opinion, for the HOTEL BAR to be BLARING music until 1 AM!!!!!! I had to call the front desk to report the problem twice. I was told it was ending and then five minutes later the jukebox came on BLARING. This hotel should take into account that business travelers work on the weekend, as well. Not everyone enjoys being kept awake due to the karaoke and jukebox going into the wee hours of the morning. It is utterly appalling that the hotel is willing to DEPRIVE its guests of sleep, in order to increase bar revenues. For the record, I do not have a problem with the music going until 10 or maybe even 11pm. In the summer months, when they have the music at the pool - that doesn't bother me as long as it ends at a decent hour. Having a bar directly below the guest rooms that plays obnoxiously loud music (I was on the second floor 208) is ridiculous. ESPECIALLY, when the hotel knows they have a business group staying at the hotel who is utilizing the meeting/conference space. The next day, I was permitted to change rooms to the other building. However, that was also a hassle having to lug my stuff across the property on just a quick break I had during my meeting. Very disappointed with management's decision regarding the weekend entertainment.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business

1 Thank itskc468
Good Afternoon

I wanted to take a moment and thank you for your recent stay and for taking the time to review the property. I apologize on behalf of the DoubleTree by Hilton and can assure you we want all our guests to be happy and have a rewarding experience, I am sorry you did not. I have brought this to the attention of our General Manager and our Food and Beverage Manager so that we can be more thoughtful to our business travelers. I have also spoken to our Front Desk staff so that can be proactive when assigning rooms to our guests and it is on nights we have music. I hope we have the pleasure of you staying with us again so we can give you a more enjoyable experience. Thank you and have a wonderful day!
Cedar Point, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2014

We stayed overnight to see a play in town. Wonderful, comfortable bed and room. Walking distance to everything. Great staff! Beautiful view of the Marina. Lot's to do at night in New Bern. We would easily come back here again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

DianeJSchmitt, Guest Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel New Bern Riverfront, responded to this review, January 15, 2014
Good Morning

I wanted to take a moment and thank you for your recent stay and for taking the time to review the property. I am so happy to know that you enjoyed your visit with us and also to New Bern. I will make sure I share this with out staff so they know their efforts are appreciated. Thank you and I hope we have the pleasure of you staying with us again. Have a wonderful day!
Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2014 via mobile

Check-in was smooth & offered us delicious warm cookies, too. Our room was in a separate building, and must have been part of the newly renovated part of the hotel, because they were bringing in new furniture as we parked. The room was clean & unlike other reviews below - we had hot water! :) The bath tub looked awful, but it was still functioning. The view from our room was NOT a river-view; & shouldn't be categorized that way. We had a view of the roof and trees. Overall, we were only there to sleep, it was clean and comfortable and that's all that counts!

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
DianeJSchmitt, Guest Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel New Bern Riverfront, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Good Afternoon

I wanted to take a moment and thank you for your recent stay and for taking the time to review the property. I apologize for the condition of your bathtub and please know that the bathtub reglazing is high on our renovation priority list. I hope we have the pleasure of you staying with us again in the future when all of our renovations are complete. Thank you and have a wonderful day!
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2014

Spent two nights there, location is great walking distance to farmers market on saturday and historic districts.. The rooms are nice, currently undergoing renovation, will be very nice when finished . Price of rooms run 118 to 159 night.. Great choice of breakfast with tremendous buffett choice under 11 bucks.. Service was wonderful.. Ask for no smoking and or no pet room..
can't wait to go back!

Good Afternoon

I wanted to take a moment and thank you for your recent stay and for taking the time to review the property. I am so happy you enjoyed your visit with us and to New Bern. I hope we have the pleasure of you staying with us again in the future. Thank you and have a wonderful day!
Richlands, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2014

The hotel was nice. Room was nice. Restaurant was nice. The cookies were awesome. Our suite was detached from the main building which was a little inconvenient. The ice machine and vending machines were on a separate floor (only one of the two ice machines worked). The shower stall and tub didn't look clean.

1 Thank Jonathan T
Good Afternoon

I wanted to take a moment and thank you for your recent stay and for taking the time to review the property. I apologize for the condition of your tub and please know that the reglazing of our tubs are high on our renovation priority list. If we have the pleasure of you staying with us again, please feel free to request a room in our main tower. Thank you and have a wonderful day!
Omaha
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

We ended up in the Marina house. We had paid a little extra for a view, but being on the second floor didn't provide much view of the bay. Other than that, it was a good, comfortable place to stay. It was clean and amenities were adequate. The restaurant was good and not as pricey as some hotel restaurants. The staff was very friendly.

Good Afternoon

I wanted to take a moment and thank you for your recent stay and for taking the time to review the property. I am so happy to know that you enjoyed your visit with us and I hope we have the pleasure of you staying again in the future. Thank you and have a wonderful day!