“Needs maintenance”

Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in New Bern
A TripAdvisor Member
“Needs maintenance”
Reviewed January 2, 2014

Loved the corner room but it needed some work. Two of the posts of the 4 posted bed had been cut off. The light fixture in the bathroom was falling out of the ceiling and the shower had mold on the tile on the floor. There was a wedding in the lobby of our building preventing us from using the elevator without walking through the middle of it. This is one of my favorite hotels to stay at and I would have appreciated it if the staff would have warned us of the renovations and wedding.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
DianeJSchmitt, Guest Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel New Bern Riverfront, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Good Afternoon

I wanted to take a moment and thank you for your recent stay and for taking the time to review the property. I apologize for the issues you faced with your room and also the wedding party and renovations. I hope we have another opportunity to have you stay with us again and be able to Create A Rewarding Experience for you once our renovations are done. Thank you and have a great day!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
Woodbridge, Virginia
Reviewed December 31, 2013

The staff was very helpful during our stay here. We had a quick check in and a nice clean room waiting for us. The building is indicative of the old world charm of historic New Bern. The hotel was quiet and a charming throughout. I had the buffet breakfast and it was delicious. The buffet station was not messy and everything was in order.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Good Afternoon

I wanted to take a moment and thank you for your recent stay and for taking the time to review the property. I am so happy to know you enjoyed your visit with us and also enjoyed our breakfast buffet. I hope we have the pleasure of you staying with us again. Thank you and have a great day!
San Francisco, California
Reviewed December 30, 2013

The room was fantastic ... spacious and clean. It was just what we needed for a week-long visit with family during the Christmas holiday! We had dogs and the grounds were perfect for them. The staff was very accommodating and friendly despite having to work over the holidays.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Good Afternoon

I wanted to thank you for your recent stay and for taking the time to review the property. I am so happy to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and our staff made you feel welcomed. I hope we have the pleasure of you staying with us again in the future. Thank you and have a great day!
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed December 30, 2013

This Doubletree is located in a perfect location on the harbor in the historic small city of New Bern, NC. It was easy to walk through the city and visit the historic landmarks from this location. The view of the harbor from my room , 455 on the "inn" side, was good. There are two buildings in this complex and I was put on the "inn side." The room itself was nice and there was one ceiling light not working above the chair near the bed. The carpet was new so it took a little push to open the door since it has not been matted down by use. The hot water took a long time to get to the bathroom faucet and shower. The cleaning staff did a good job with their daily upkeep of the room.
Sometime during the first night the room heater must of died and I woke up to a 59 degree room around 5:30 AM. I increased the temp on the thermostat but it just kept blowing out cold air. Needless to say this was too uncomfortable to stay in so after shower etc I went down to the next building to the desk and reported it. The desk clerk sympathized especially after I showed her a picture of the thermostat that read 59 degrees! She gave me a key for another room on that floor but when I went into that room, 452, the temp was 52 degrees and the heat was off! Obviously they try to save money by turning off the heat in rooms instead of turning them down to like 60 degrees or so like I do at my house when away. This may be part of the problem. I went back to the desk and told the clerk that I wanted someone to fix the heat in my original room as I refuse to move to an even colder one. I decided to move up my fishing trip and came back a little after noon to find that the heat was fixed. I was told that it took the repairman about an hour to fix. In short good hotel but poor maintenance and/or management policies hamper its success.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Jjmat49022
Good Afternoon

I wanted to thank you for your recent stay and for taking the time to review the property. I apolgize for the issues you faced with the heat in your room and can understand your frustration. Getting out of a shower in 59 degrees is not pleasant. We did have an issue in the Inn building and our Chief of Engineering was able to repair it. I hope we have the pleasure of you staying with us again in the future. Thank you and have a wonderful day!

Travelers are raving about these New Bern hotels

Cape Carteret, United States
Reviewed December 30, 2013

My husband and I go here for Christmas Eve to just get away. The staff is incredible and we always enjoy ourselves. It is a great place to unwind, relax and enjoy ourselves. It is in a great location and has incredible views.

Good Afternoon

I wanted to thank you for your most recent stay and for taking the time to review the property. I am so happy to know that you enjoy your visits to us and New Bern. We look forward to having you back again. Thank you and have a wonderful day!
Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed December 29, 2013

This place was fine. I enjoyed my stay. But there were some strange things about it that made me a little annoyed. Mostly, it seemed just a tad sub-par for a DoubleTree.

It was cold outside, and upon check-in, I was told that I would have to walk out of one hotel to get to the OTHER hotel that was part of the complex. Again, not too upsetting, but just ONE MORE THING that I found frustrating upon check-in.

When I got to my room, the water was lukewarm in the shower, so I asked to switch rooms. Then, in my next room, the shower was again lukewarm! After about 10 minutes, it finally warmed up. But when I spoke to the manager about it, he just calmly explained that this is just how it is and described the water flow of the hotel and the demand from the guests..or something. I didn't totally understand.

He was kind and apologetic, but - why? Why for the Doubletree would it just be "how it is?" Wouldn't they make sure to always provide guests with steaming hot showers?

I also noticed little marching ants in my new bathroom. Totally not a big deal. But just not up to par with a DoubleTree brand! In isolation, I suppose it wouldn't have bothered me all that much. But with the water issues, it was just one more thing.

In my new room, my view of the water was blocked - by a tree. Just one tree! I was told this tree had some special significance. And truth be told, I wasn't initially even booked for a room with a view, so I shouldn't complain. But it was just another one of those "huh" moments that made me shrug and ask myself "what other little weird things will I come to expect from this otherwise great place?"

Overall, this was a really nice hotel. Nice people, great warm cookies, and a beautiful location on the water. I'd like to come back in the summer and enjoy the outdoor pool and outdoor cafe seating. It looks charming and fantastic.

I would definitely stay here again. It just had some puzzling quirks.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Good Afternoon

I wanted to take a moment and thank you for your recent stay and for taking the time to review the property. I apologize for the issues you faced during your visit and can assure you if we are lucky enough to have you back I will make sure your visit is seamless. We are deep into our renovations and look forward to having the opportunity to share them with you. Thank you and have a wonderful day!
Hertford, NC, United States
Reviewed December 29, 2013

Wonderful view of the marina from our room. The service and ambiance at this hotel is great. New Bern is a wonderful destination town with interesting shops and good reataurants, and friendly people. My wife and I are repeat customers.

Good Afternoon

I wanted to take a moment and thank you for your recent stay and for taking the time to review the property. I am so happy to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and in New Bern. I hope we have the pleasure of you staying with us again. Have a great day!