“Excellent view, needs some updates”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel New Bern Riverfront
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in New Bern
Reviewed October 2, 2013

The interior wasn't exactly what I was expecting from a Doubletree. The lobby area and conference center seemed to have been updated and were nice and tidy, but the guest room definitely need a facelift. I did see an exhibit of fabric swatches in the lobby, so I'm thinking maybe a renovation is in the works. That said, the rooms were clean enough and I can overlook the worn/stained carpet, ripped desk chair and dated bathroom for the extraordinary view overlooking the water and yachts. The waterfront bar was an excellent place to relax and enjoy the scenery. The location is perfect- just a few steps away from the Farmers Market and lots of neat downtown shops and restaurants. Aside from a few frazzled front desk clerks, the staff was friendly, especially the jack-of-all-trades Roy! With a renovation, I'm sure this will be a wonderful place to stay, and we had a nice experience.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Traci C
DianeJSchmitt, Guest Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel New Bern Riverfront, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2013

Good Afternoon

I wanted to take a moment and thank you for your recent stay and for taking the time to review the property. We are just about to begin our renovations and high on our priority list are our guest rooms and the public space, we are all looking forward to the updates! I am happy that you enjoyed your view and the scenery New Bern has to offer on the riverfront. I hope we have the pleasure of you staying with us again. Thank you and have a wonderful day!

There are newer reviews for DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel New Bern Riverfront

Reviewed October 1, 2013

Excellent location on the river with wonderful dining within walking distance. The views were great. The staff were like graduates of Disney University! They were very helpful and cheerful. The cable TV left a little to be desired. Initial rates seemed high, but at the end of the stay I felt the quality of care and attention warranted the price.

Good Afternoon

I wanted to take a moment and thank you for your recent stay and for taking the time to review the property. I am so happy to know that our staff made you feel welcomed during your visit. I am also happy to report that after working diligently with our TV service provider and our TV manufacturer we have addressed the majority of our TV programming issues. I'm just sorry it affected your stay. I hope we have the pleasure of you staying with us in the future. Thank you and have a wonderful day!

Reviewed October 1, 2013

This was one of my most enjoyable stay. The room when I walked in was so much more than I expected. It was very quiet during my whole stay. The staff were wonderful, the room was very clean, room service was Great , delicious & always on time. Housekeeping & wait staff were very nice. I was in a room with a Beautiful view of the river. I could see boats & watch as the bridge would have to raise as a boat would pass. I Love Love Love the Cookies.

Good Afternoon

I wanted to thank you for your recent stay and for taking the time to review the property. I am so happy to know that our staff made you feel welecome throughout your stay and you enjoyed your room and the beautiful view. I hope we have the pleasure of you staying with us again. Thank you and have a wonderful day!

Reviewed September 29, 2013

It is interesting reading recent reviews of this hotel. We too had the inconvenience of rooms being unavailable at check in and a front desk staff that would benefit from additional training. That said, this was a great place to stay. Location is great. Get a room facing the marina and you'll love the view. Room was comfortable. Bar was fun. One thing missing from other reviews on this hotel is that once you get checked in and get past the front desk which was not firing on all cylinders when we visited, this is a really comfortable place to stay.

Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank directedit

Good Afternoon

I wanted to take a moment and thank you for your recent stay and for taking the time to review the property. I apologize for the issue you faced with our newer front desk agents and thank you were not able to check in upon arrival. I have brought this to the attention of our General Manager, Director of Housekeeping and our Front Office Manager so that we can address these items immediately. Thank you and have a wonderful day!

Reviewed September 27, 2013

I stayed here in September for a training.
Check in was quick and the front desk was professional. I also enjoyed my complementary cookie :)
I was on the fourth floor which is considered the "Hilton Honors" floor, I also had a beautiful view of the riverfront and harbor. The first thing I noticed was that the ice machine was out of order, but they did say that they were working on cleaning it.. but it was out of order the 3 days I was there.
The bathroom was clean and looked like it had been updated. All the towels were clean and soft.
The housekeeping did a great job with my room. The bed was super comfy and I slept great the whole time.
Now to the actual room...It needs updating, the carpet was very worn, some of the knobs were missing from the drawers, the glass on the desk was foggy and chipped in places. Also I had NO WATER when I woke up the last day I was there. I couldn't flush the toilet, brush my teeth or take a shower for until after 7:30am, which was an issue because the conference started at 8am.
I went to the gym which also needed updating. There were 6 machines and only 2 of them worked.
DoubleTree is a great chain and you pay a little extra to get the quality. This hotel did not meet my expectations and I was very disappointed. There just isn't much else to choose from so you don't have many more options to choose from.

1  Thank Appsgirl

Good Afternoon

I wanted to take a moment and thank you for your recent stay and for taking the time to review the property. I apologize for the issues you faced with your room and the lack of water when you needed to get ready for your conference. We are just about to begin our renovations and high on our priority list are our guest rooms and the public spaces. I have brought the items you mentioned to the attention of our General Manager, Chief of Engineering, Director of Housekeeping and our Front Office Manager so that each of these can be addressed immediately. Thank you and have a wonderful day!

Reviewed September 27, 2013

The room was terrible. The air conditioner did not work and 2 tries to fix it failed. Rooms was not ready on time at arrival. Restaurant had good food. Front was cover up about get in and out by people illegally parking

1  Thank Larry K

Good Afternoon

I wanted to take a moment and thank you for your recent stay and for taking the time to review the property. I apologize for the issues you faced with your room and the HVAC as well as not being able to check in upon your arrival. I have brought these items to the attention of our General Manager, Chief of Engineering, Director of Housekeeping and our Front Office Manager so that these items can be addressed immediately. Thank you and have a wonderful day!

Reviewed September 25, 2013

We stayed at the DoubleTree this past weekend. Let me start by stating the location is absolutely fantastic. It is right on the water and central to everything in downtown New Bern. The hotel itself could use some updating and it seemed from the plans in the lobby this is in process. The front desk staff we encountered were more concerned with clocking out and less concerned with the guests waiting to check in. The young lady that greeted us stated our room was clean but they needed to get verification from housekeeping before she could check us in. She asked us to take a seat and she would get us when she got confirmation. Ten minutes later we watched her walk out the front door and leave. We waited a little while longer and then asked the new front desk person if our room was ready. They looked confused as to why we had been sitting in the lobby without a room as no one had mentioned we were waiting. They promptly check us in. On the last day of our trip I stopped at the front desk to ask about a Business Center since the booklet in the room stated there was one on property. Before I even had the question out the woman at the desk told me there were computers in the lobby. When I tried to finish my sentence she cut me off again and said they only had the computers in the lobby. I've stayed at a number of hotels as I travel a lot for work. The front desk is always the most important as it is the one most visible to the guests.

The restaurant and bar staff were on their game and provided outstanding service. The food and drinks were delicious.

Housekeeping was spotty. If you had the Do Not Disturb on the door they never made a follow up visit to your room. We were usually out of the room by 10am and one day I guess that was too late because they never cleaned the room.

All and all I would recommend this hotel as there are more positives than negatives. I think if they just upped their A game a bit and gave the hotel a little facelift it would be outstanding.

Room Tip: We were in room 411 which looked out onto the Marina. Be careful if you stay over Sat night as they...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mcBlackshaw

Good Afternoon

I wanted to take a moment and thank your for your recent stay and for taking the time to review the property. I apologize for the issues you faced with our new front office staff and I can assure you that we are working diligently with each of them to bring them up to par on the level of service we expect our guests to receive. I have brought each of the items you mentioned to the attention of our General Manager, Front Office Manager and our Director of Housekeeping so that we can address each of these immediately. Thank you and have a wonderful day!