“Not what I thought it would be” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel New Bern Riverfront

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel New Bern Riverfront
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in New Bern
Greensboro, North Carolina
“Not what I thought it would be”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2013

I arrived on a Sunday for business and left Wednesday at noon. I arrived early and the lady at the front desk was pleasant and professional about the appropriate check-in time. Left for lunch and arrived after 3, in the pouring rain. I stood and waited for a different lady to take multiple calls from guest. The lines were growing and she was focused on only phone calls. The hallways were hot and muggy. The room was clean and beds were great. No refrigerator or microwave, which is unusual at the rate charged. The carpets were smelly and torn, which did not make for a comfortable room, given that I had a child. I had a great view that helped balance out the “no playing in the floor”. I ate at the restaurant once. I waited 30 minutes for tea and then 60 min for a salad. The entire table had salad and we were late getting back to our training, held in the hotel. I asked the manager for tea and dressing, she seemed to “blow” us off and tended to other guest. The restaurant service was the worst I ever had. The “housekeeping staff” was great and I tipped them daily. They make the “dated” rooms as presentable as they possibly can and provide plenty of towels and coffee. The deck area had the same beer bottles sitting outside for two days and it really took away from the atmosphere. The male staff who do various jobs were very kind and helpful, even the younger men were pleasant and engaging. There is another conference to take place there, and I think I will stay in a different location given the rate and what is provided.

Room Tip: rooms that have a river view helped take my mind off of the dated decor
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
Fuquay Varina, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

The best most romantic setting. Excellent staff, clean rooms, and beautiful property. Try this hotel and you will want to come back, I promise. This is my 5th year going there to celebrate my anniversary. It is now an annual thing.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

DianeJSchmitt, Guest Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel New Bern Riverfront, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Thank you so much for reviewing our property. I am so happy you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to many more with you and your spouse. Thank you and have a great day!
High Point, NC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed for a couple of night while I was attending a conference. Check-in was quick and easy and the staff was friendly. We had a room on the third floor with a nice view of the river and marina area. The room was clean and fairly spacious with expected amenities like a desk, flat screen tv, ironing board, hair dryer, etc. The bathroom was kind of small but clean. The pool area was nice and my wife enjoyed lounging by the pool while I was in meetings, having lunch and enjoying the outdoor bar area. This area also served as a busy bar with a DJ on the weekends. The hotel is very convenient to the convention center and the downtown area with a variety of attractions and restaurants. The hotel is in need of some updating which is supposed to be coming. The staff was friendly and housekeeping did a good job in our room. Check-out was easy and we would stay here again particularly if we needed to be near the convention center.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank tarheeltraveler4509
DianeJSchmitt, Guest Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel New Bern Riverfront, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Good Afternoon. I wanted to take a moment and thank you for your recent stay and for taking the time to review the property. I am so happy to know that you enjoyed your stay with us and our staff made you feel welcomed throughout your visit. We are just about to begin our renovations and hope to have them completed within the next 8-10 mths. I hope we have the pleasure of you staying with us again. Thank you and have a wonderful day!
Morehead City, NC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2013

Stayed at the New Bern, NC Doubletree for a one night trip. Hotel is within walking distance to restaurants and stores for a very relaxing experience. Room was great, staff was excellent, and the views are beautiful. Great place to stay for a New Bern adventure!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank coastal4me
I wanted to take a moment and thank you for your recent stay and for taking the time to review our property. I am so happy to know that you enjoyed your visit with us and our staff was able to Create A Rewarding Experience for you. I hope we have the pleasure of you staying with us again. Thank you and have a wonderful day!
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2013

I've stayed here three times, all for business conferences. There are gorgeous, expansive views of the Trent and Neuse rivers. My room was $109 plus tax...a comfortable bed and the usual other stuff in the room.
The food is surprisingly good...our group had the choice of salmon or filet mignon and everyone had favorable comments. For breakfast you can order from the menu or go the buffet route...which has all the typical things, including Southern favorites grits and biscuits and gravy.
The bar is fairly small but ok. There is a large deck around the pool area which is a natural hangout to have a drink and enjoy the gorgeous view I mentioned earlier.

A problem that never got solved on my most recent trip there was that a lot of TV's were only receiving a few channels.

I would recommend this hotel. Historic downtown New Bern is a very easy walk...lots of colonial history, restaurants, and shops. It's not a big problem yet, but Hilton will need to start putting some money into the property before too much longer because it's starting to show some wear. Unacceptable at $300 a night but I can look the other way for $109.

Room Tip: Ask for river view (which also overlooks the yachts docked along side the deck area)
1 Thank Hurricaniac
DianeJSchmitt, Guest Relations Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel New Bern Riverfront, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
I wanted to take a moment and thank you for your recent stay and for taking the time to review the property. I am happy to know that you enjoyed your stay here in New Bern and I hope we have the pleasure of having you back again. I also wanted to let you know we are just about to begin our renovations and high on our priority list are our guest rooms and public space. We hope to have them completed within the next 8-10 months. Thank you and have a wonderful day!
kansas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013

I recently changes positions within my company and NC is now my territory. I was excited to come to New Bern, and the town itselft is lovely. However, this is one of the worst hotels I have stayed in recently and have been traveling every week since March. I normally stay in Hilton properties for rewards reasons but also stay at Marriott properties. I have traveled all my working life and am normally fine at a Hampton Inn, Hilton Garden Inn, Marriott Courtyard, etc. I expected a Doubletree by Hilton on the water at this rate to be nice and while some of it is okay, most is not nearly as nice as a hotel half the price - even with this nice location. There are many rennovations needed. Some things have been done to make the rooms "look" nice, but they really have opportunity. My biggest issue, which was resolved by moving rooms, was that there was no desk/work area or chair and no refridgerator in the room. I am here for four days for work and need work space. When I called, she told me only executive rooms have desks and only people with medical conditions have refridgerators. The new room's carpet was dirty and while some things are great (like the bed), others just need upgrading. The food through room service is fair at best, the people who work here say the right things but seem unhappy, and the place does not seem to be well managed. The work out facility has no lights and the water cooler is empty. Oh, and no floor mats. I understand a Marriott Courtyard is opening down the street this month - maybe it will prompt this hotel to step up their game.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank bodiKansas
I wanted to take a moment and thank you for your recent stay and for taking time to review the property. I apologize on behalf of the DoubleTree by Hilton New Bern - Riverfront for the issues you faced during your stay. We are just about to begin our renovations and high on our priority list are our guest rooms and our public space. We hope to have them completed within the next 8-10months and I hope we have the pleasure of you staying with us again. Thank you and have a wonderful day!

Travelers are raving about these New Bern hotels

Novato, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013

I travel a lot and know instantly whether a place is going to please me.  I would definitely stay here again and recommend it to anyone who visits New Bern.  The parking is easy and free, the lobby is large and you will be welcomed with warm cookies.  Our room was comfy, clean and well maintained during our 5 night visit.  The food (and wine list) at Christophe's was very good including the breakfast buffet. Prices were reasonable and the wait staff was extremely accommodating, letting us dine outside even when they were not set up to provide service.  The live music at the end of the week is wonderful.  We were so surprised and pleased to arrive rather late and be able to sit on the deck over the water, enjoy bar service and listen to a jazz singer.  I also really enjoyed the Hilton Honors reception where they provided drink tickets and free bar food to members.  I've never experienced that and it was great. The location is awesome to. Fab views of sunsets over the water every night.

Room Tip: Top floor facing the river and you have wonderful views. The window is large too. We were right by...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank GirlwithaGlass
I wanted to take a moment and thank you for your recent stay and for taking the time to review our property. I am so happy to know that we were able to Create A Rewarding Experience for you during your stay and I hope we have the pleasure of having you stay with us again. It was a pleasure meeting all "three" of you and I look forward to seeing you soon. Thank you and have a wonderful day!