“Our wedding at the Doubletree”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel New Bern Riverfront
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in New Bern
Reviewed March 27, 2013

We had our wedding and reception here this past weekend and everything was perfect. Our guests were seated on the lawn with the ceremony in the gazebo and it was ideal. We had our cocktails in the "rotunda" of the Inn with dinner in the Library and the reception on the Veranda overlooking the water and it was exactly what we wanted. Only problem was the weather - where is spring. A large number of our guests were from out of town, all stayed here and some were in town for as long as 6 days. All the rooms were great (make sure you get the river view). We had a few small problems but the staff was quick to solve all of them. Everyone enjoyed the restaurant and lounge on numerous occasions. The wait staff never got flustered, even when our small table of 4 would suddenly become a group of 20. The entire staff was wonderful - professional when needed and fun when appropriate. Tasha and Jan in sales are easy to talk to even when we became demanding as to room locations. Vernice (Catering Manager) was absolutely the best! She listened to what we wanted, made some great suggestions, and did not panic when we refused to give on the weather location. Marie (Banquet Manager) and her staff were also fantastic. She stuck with our planner late the night before the wedding making changes as our guest list evolved (last minute changes thanks to the military). Service during dinner was fast and efficient but never in the way. Even though there was another reception in the hotel the same day, the attention we got from the staff and management (even managers off work came by to check on us) made us think we were the only guests in the hotel. The hotel shuttle makes it easy for guests that fly in to get around. They will even transport you around town between airport runs! Hotel is in a great location. You can walk to almost everything that New Bern has to offer. We definately will be back and recommend that anyone coming to New Bern stay here.

Room Tip: The Inn is a little older than the main building. It may not be as convenient but feels more person...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
newport_group, Social Media Specialist at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel New Bern Riverfront, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2013

Congratulations on your wedding! We're incredibly pleased to hear that our hotel and staff were able to make your big day everything you dreamed of. We hope that you and your family will come visit us again and please to do hesitate to let us know if there is anything we can do for you :)

998 - 1,004 of 1,184 reviews

Reviewed March 24, 2013

We stayed at the New Bern Doubletree for one night on a quick trip to New Bern. The front desk attendant was busy and another attendant stepped in to assist. The first staffer was pleasant and outgoing, offering us a complimentary tube of toothpaste which we had mentioned we had forgotten. The second one was very quiet, as she checked us in. We and our traveling friend had two rooms in the new building. If I were traveling alone I would recommend staying in the main, older building, since the newer one is empty with no visible security to the various entrances. Our hotel room door was difficult to open and close. At times we realized it had not closed all the way, at others, we could not open the door without body slamming it. Thursday night, we went to the restaurant for drinks and enjoyed the jazz combo playing there. The atmosphere was lively and the people were friendly, especially the musicians who related in a nice way with the crowd. The bed was comfortable although the ventilation rattled on and off all night. At 8:30 of the morning we were going to check out we got a knock at the door from housekeeping who wanted to clean the room. We got a complimentary breakfast when we checked in an enjoyed the buffet. The waiter was very congenial and the service good. We would return to this hotel if we had occasion to visit New Bern again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank PAM_from_LINY

Thank you for taking the time to let us know how your recent stay at our property was. We apologize for the noisy air conditioner but we're pleased to hear that everything else was to your liking. We hope to see you again next time you're in the area!

Reviewed March 21, 2013

Have read several reviews putting this Hotel down, my personal experience is 100% different. My wife and I were well pleased with the service the people were as nice as it was possible to be. We were also pleased with the quality of the food and service. The rooms were very clean and nice everything was as clean as could be expected. All in all we had a very nice stay and we will be back!!!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
newport_group, Social Media Specialist at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel New Bern Riverfront, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to let us know how much you enjoyed your recent stay with us! We're pleased to hear that everything was to your liking and we hope you and your wife will come to see us again soon!

Reviewed March 16, 2013

Right next to the boat harbor so the view is water and boats.
Very comfy beds, though they weren't queen size, and I appreciate the double-sheeted down comforter. The heaters are noisy, so we turned it off when we went to bed. But it was rather warm in bed because of the down comforter. A lighter weight comforter would be a nice option.
We are in a handicap accessible room, so the bathroom is large.
Good food in the on-site restaurant, and quick room service.
My niece wanted to swim, but the only pool is outdoors and not open yet.
The wifi situation is a bit confusing, but we got it going finally.
The room furnishings were nice and included a fridge behind a door in the large armoir.
With my AAA discount the price was reasonable for four people in a two bed room.
I would stay here again.

Room Tip: The rooms on the harbor side are worth the price.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

We're pleased to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay. Come see us again during warmer months and enjoy our outdoor pool :)

Reviewed March 9, 2013

I'd actually rank this a 3.5/5 if I could do half points. The Doubletree is nestled right over the water, in a great location in downtown New Bern. The building itself seems a little dated. I found the lobby area to be underwhelming..still nice, just expected a little better. Check in was easy and I definitely took advantage of the complimentary cookie and rode up the very, very, slow elevator to our rooms.

The rooms itself were nice and clean with modern furnishings. Had a view overlooking the water and the boats that were docked. Didn't get a chance to try the restaurant, but the event I was attending was catered, and I found the food to be okay. I was hoping for a refrigerator, but there wasn't one in the room. I assume it's something you can request though.

I slept fine, had a good night, which is all I can really ask for. If the price is right, I'd definitely come back. I could imagine that based on the locale, rooms might approach $200+ on certain nights and weekends, which is too high for me. But if I can stay for the price that I paid, then I'll definitely come back.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
newport_group, Social Media Specialist at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel New Bern Riverfront, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2013

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay at our hotel. We are very sorry you were unhappy with our common areas. We appreciate your feedback, and will keep your comments in mind while we work to improve our guest experience. We hope you’ll stay with us again soon. Thanks again for your comments.

Reviewed February 27, 2013

Stayed here on business and was a little disappointed by the service. The location saves it though because it is located in downtown on the water front. The AC/Heat is noisy and kicks on and off all night long. We tried every sitting but still kept us up all night. Next morning the front desk gave me the wrong location of the meeting which meant that I had to walk out of my way carrying my business materials. The meeting room was crowded with over the amount of chairs needed.

Room Tip: stay in the newer section of the hotel.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
newport_group, Social Media Specialist at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel New Bern Riverfront, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2013

We’re sorry we didn't provide the high quality of services you deserve. This is not typical of our hotel and staff, and we have addressed the issues you mentioned. We try to make each guest experience a great one at our hotel and your satisfaction is important to us. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope you’ll give us another opportunity soon to make your stay the best it can be.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

The location of this hotel is perfect if you are staying in New Bern. It is on the water with good views of the city and/or the waterfront. Views include the marinas, train going over the river and the historic layout of the town. The hotel is set up into two buildings, one of which was an older Hilton (re-purposed as a Doubletree). The other building is newer, or recently refurbished, and seems to have been an old condo building. The new building is a good bit nicer due to the recent renovations, but it seems a tad vacant since it does not have the front desk. One negative is that the front desk could not get my key card situation correct, nor did they tell me I was in the other building. So I walked a good ways with baggage just to have to return to have the key card re-coded...twice!

Room Tip: Choose the new building, higher floor.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to let us know what you thought about our property. We're pleased to hear that everything was to your liking and we look forward to seeing you again in the future!