“Decadence and great surroundings”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel New Bern Riverfront
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in New Bern
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Decadence and great surroundings”
Reviewed August 22, 2012

Our stay began with the warm chocolate cookies from the front desk staff and since then I was captivated. The room was beautiful and had a great view of the marina. Everything was clean and the bathroom was really well kept. The bed was so unbelievably comfortable that the only complaint is that I had to leave it in the morning to sight see. New Bern is a charming little town to walk through for a weekend and the Double Tree only enhanced our stay. Our family isn't used to staying at upper class hotels, yet the price was not that bad and our room was really great. No complaints here!

Room Tip: Fifth floor facing the marina
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Emily R
newport_group, Social Media Specialist at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel New Bern Riverfront, responded to this review, August 23, 2012
Thank you for staying with us! We're ecstatic to hear that you and your family enjoyed your recent stay with us. We hope to see you all again in the near future!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed August 15, 2012

I am typing this as I sit in the room ticked over my experience tonight in what is my first and likely last night in this dump. Where do I start... I am in a separate building from the registration desk. I have been locked out of my room twice. Apparently they don't want you leave your room, because if you do the key card won't let you back in. Two 1/4 mile trips over to the other building for a reprogram, with no apology for my troubles whatsoever. Night lady at the desk on my second visit seemed bothered that she actually had to do something. Air unit in the room took 4 hours to drop the temp 2 degrees. The building I'm in is a complete dump. After a day of rain, there are buckets, trash cans, towels and "slippery when wet signs" all over the lobby floor from the leaky roof, hours after the rain has ended. How hard is it to fix the roof? And why hasn't this all been cleaned up by now? Carpet in a Motel 6 is better maintained. It is lumpy, wavy, and dirty in the public areas. Big time tripping hazard, not to mention how BAD it looks. Cable/Sat is terrible, went for a stretch of time with several channels out. ESPN and CBS were glitchy all night and half of the channels available were analog (bad picture). Plus, 4 seconds or so between each click of the channel, to the point I began to doze off between channel changes. Decided to go get a snack from the vending machine. About 4 food choices and one drink option. If you don't like Diet Mt. Dew, you're out of luck. I don't believe they have restocked in over a month. And to top it off, the drink was luke warm at best. OK, I'll get some ice. Ice machine is out of order, imagine that, with a note and a smiley face referring me to the next floor down. Box fan above the ice machine blowing on it like it had been overheating. Fire hazard perhaps? And my return to the room was the 2nd lockout that I mentioned earlier, requiring me to walk over half dressed. And finally, as I'm ready to go to sleep I press the Wake Up/Service button on the phone to ask for a wake up call....nothing but static, button doesn't work. As far as positives go, the bedding is clean, that's about all I've got. With the way my experience is going, I probably won't have hot water in the morning.

Room Tip: Until they refurbish this place, choose another hotel.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
5 Thank 747Kevin
Thank you for staying with us and for letting us know about your stay. We're sorry to hear that our hotel was not in tip top shape for your visit. We are currently working on getting the leaky roof fixed. Our hotel is also still undergoing some fixing up after we were hit hard by a hurricane last year. We hope that you made management aware of your problems while you were in house so they could address your problems immediately. We hope you'll reconsider and give us one more chance next time you're in town.

Travelers are raving about these New Bern hotels

Fredericksburg, VA
Reviewed August 15, 2012

I stayed here for 4 nights this past weekend. Air conditioner broke down two nights in a row. The motel recovered by offering us another room that was larger and gave us two dinners to Christoph's restaurant.

The plus side is it is real close to town and listening to the music on the deck was so much fun. Would stay here again but with some reservations.

Room Tip: Stay in the older building street view. Large windows and more room in the corner rooms.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
We're pleased to hear that we were able to accommodate all of your needs. We apologize for the air conditioner breaking but we're glad that the staff took care of you! We hope you'll stay with us again next time you're in town.
Perrysburg, Ohio
Reviewed August 9, 2012

We stayed for one night while traveling south. This was a nice hotel in a very nice location. We had a room with a view of the water which was very nice. There were a few minor cosmetic issues with this hotel, like a burned out light bulb, but we are not overly picky about these things. The room did smell musty when we arrived and it was very humid during the time of our visit. The hotel was quiet except for the air conditioner. The air conditioner would run for a while, then it would turn off for about two minutes before turning on again. This happened all night so it was hard to fall asleep. The room did not have a refrigerator and breakfast was unfortunately not included. On the plus side, the beds were so very comfortable and the door did not slam shut. This hotel was in a nice area, the staff was very friendly and the customer service was excellent. The warm walnut chocolate chip cookies were definately a plus. We would consider this hotel again in the future.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for staying with us and for letting us know how your recent stay was! We're so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and we hope to see you again in the future.
Pittsboro, North Carolina
Reviewed July 23, 2012

The first time I stayed in this property about ten years ago it was a Sheraton. It changed to Doubletree by Hilton a few years ago. Would I stay here again? Absolutely! It has great views over the marina (and I shot fantastic footage of lightning over the river last week), but you might want to requst (and pay a little extra) for a balcony room on the fifth (top) floor, the only floor with balconies. Is it a 5-star facility? No, but there's no charge for parking, and it's an easy walk to shops, restaurants, and historical sites including Tryon Palace, North Carolina's first state capitol building. Christophe's Restaurant is superior, and front desk staff are helpful, accommodating, and delightful in every way. Rooms are above-average in space; the bedding is too comfortable to get out of in the morning! I was only there for three nights, but I had no issues of any kind with the hotel.

New Bern and its marina are located on the confluence of the Neuse and Trent Rivers. There are also public parks within easy walking distance, and a riverwalk/boardwalk for several blocks, great for biking or jogging.

Tryon Palace was contructed in the 1700's and burned in 1798, reconstructed and furnished according to the original plans and reopened in about 1950. Tryon Palace maintains beautiful historic gardens, is next to the history museum, near the New Bern Firemen's Museum, and tours are provided by guides in colonial costume.

Pick up the New Bern Magazine to see what's going on; I chose to walk a few blocks and see a community theatre production of Cabaret. The local teen theatre was performing Little Women also.

Room Tip: Choose the 5th floor for a balcony room.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Brenda W
newport_group, Social Media Specialist at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel New Bern Riverfront, responded to this review, July 31, 2012
We're incredibly pleased to hear how much you enjoyed your recent stay with us. We pride ourselves on being able to please our guests and we're glad that we were able to do so with you. We hope that you will tell your friends about us and come again soon!
Winston-Salem, NC
Reviewed July 22, 2012

My room was huge, but the hotel is in need of a refurbishment. The hallway carpet is wavy (coming up) and the wallpaper is peeling. The cable for my television was out, but the front desk did not seem concerned, blaming the issue on Direct TV. The upshot--it was not fixed. The layout is strange, with 2 buildings--it's a long walk from check-in at the end of one building to the elevator at the other end of the other building. Nevertheless, the location is great for New Bern. It would be great if the hotel add microwaves and mini-fridges to the rooms.

Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay. We apologize for the cosmetic issues at the hotel, we were hit pretty hard by the hurricane last year and we're still working on getting it fixed. We also apologize for your issues with your television, we have spoken with the people that were on duty during your stay. We hope to see you again next time you're in New Bern and thank you again for staying with us.
Hanover, Maryland
Reviewed July 21, 2012

There are two buildings the old and the new.
We were put in the older one, so I can not comment much on the newer one except to say,
It is the registration area, it does have a restaurant, which has the best smells coming from it. The pool was there and there was a Live band playing which I enjoyed.

My cons: In our building there were no valets (when I say valet, I mean the thing to put your luggsage on and pull to your room, not sure if thats the name or not).
The carpet in the hallways were stained, Our lower bedding was stained, the bathroom shape was awkward and there are no fans in the bathrooms.

My pros: The views from the room were beautiful, (especially that of the Marina), and the bed was very comfortable. I like the rounded bars in the shower, which gave you more room.
I also like that fact you dont have to pay for parking in the South like you do up North.

Would I stay here again, maybe (walking distance to the quaint downtown shops, friendly people, beautiful water views, & good nights sleep) but probably not.

Room Tip: If you choose to stay here, I would request a Waterfront view
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
newport_group, Social Media Specialist at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel New Bern Riverfront, responded to this review, July 23, 2012
Thank you for staying with us and for letting us know about your stay! We are currently working on some cosmetics issues in the building that you stayed in so we appreciate you baring with us while these take place. We hope to see you again in the future.