“Best lunch in New Bern!”
Review of The Chelsea

The Chelsea
Ranked #4 of 175 Restaurants in New Bern
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed July 23, 2014

I had a special Java seasoned steak sandwich that blew me away. This was the best steak sandwich I have ever had. My wife and her friend both had a friend green tomato BLT. We all argued about who had the better sandwich. Service was excellent, prices for lunch very reasonable and liked the historic venue. I would highly recommend this great local restaurant. When we travel we love getting away from the chains and supporting local businesses. This place was a pleasant surprise.

Reviewed July 22, 2014

We have never been disappointed with the food or drinks at the Chelsea. This visit was no exception. My husband made reservations for us to dine here for our anniversary. Food was excellent and service was very good. You have to try the bacon wrapped scallops!!!!! I did not give this a five star rating because we had to wait for our table for a while, even though we had a reservation. We also had to remind the hostess that we had requested seating upstairs. :)

1  Thank Missuuncleronnie
Reviewed July 21, 2014

We were told this place served the best shrimp and grits anywhere. Since I am a huge shrimp and grits fan, and have eaten them lots of places, I was a real skeptic. I must admit, these were absolutely delicious. Plenty of large shrimp, fresh mushrooms, onions, andouille sausage sliced quite thin, and "the grits! They were great, smooth and creamy, with a lovely flavor that I have failed to achieve whenever I tried them at home.

My friend ordered the chicken breast with brown butter BBQ sauce served over grits. Never heard of this before but our server assured her that it was delicious so the order went in. Another wonderful choice! The chicken was lightly fried, the grits were soft and creamy, and the brown sauce was excellent. Unexpected goodness from an unusually named dish.

To our surprise, the owner stopped by for a chat and gave us some interesting facts about the beautiful old building and invited us to take a tour around. We will certainly come back here to try more seafood as many of their choices center around shellfish...and freshly caught grouper.

Reviewed July 19, 2014

The tables had white table clothes and great ambience. The restaurant is downtown and in an old home. The windows were nice to sit by and enjoy a quiet meal.

Reviewed July 15, 2014

I have been to the Chelsea in downtown New Bern several times and I always feel the same when I leave. It's okay, but it's not somewhere I would ever feel the need to dine at again. If you gave me the choice of my top 25 places for dinner in Eastern North Carolina, it would never make the list. The service is okay, it's in an okay location, albeit no view, but there is nothing there that is a "stand out." Tonight I ordered the Artichoke Chicken. It was average at best. I would never order it again. In fact, every time I've been, I've ordered something different, and each time I felt the same; I wish I had ordered something else. Unfortunately, I cannot recommend this restaurant. There are too many excellent choices with great atmospheres and good food in the downtown area to consider this one.

1  Thank Loveadventure1