“Simply Delicious”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed June 30, 2014

The food was absolutely delicious...I had shrimp and grits that are to die for...the mashed potatoes were excellent. The chocolate cheesecake was wonderful. I can think of no criticism. The ambience was great as well. Totally great experience

Reviewed June 27, 2014

We are a family of 9 traveling together and made a reservation for 6:30pm but we arrived an hour early but it was no problem for them to seat us. We are northerns that have never tried the shrimp and grits so we ordered 2 of the appetizers of the barbecued shrimp and grits. We all thought it was delicious! I had the red eyed shrimp dish, others ordered the cheesecake , paella & one steak . All meals were delicious! We were too full for dessert. Our waiter was knowledgeable about the dishes and was very attentive. We would definitely recommend this place and would go again without hesitation.

Reviewed June 14, 2014

Why I don't know. Sat my wife and I in a nice booth. We were the only ones in the place, A local family of renown came in with several unruly kids. They sat them next to us ? We asked to move. My wife's meal came out before mine. her pet peeve. I ordered the world famous and pride of the city ...shrimp and grits. shrimp was overcooked. figured well its New Bern. Tipped well and left. On the way out was asked what we thought. Well ...since u asked...sat a family next to us....response.."its the so and so family(I cared?). Meals should arrive together response.."sorry". Shrimp was overcooked.response...They are tiger shrimp, they are a bit tougher. My response ...I do a lot of cooking ,n they were rubbery which means ...overcooked.

2  Thank rock72777
Reviewed June 13, 2014

After reading several great reviews about The Chelsea, we decided to make a reservation for dinner on a recent business trip to New Bern. The restaurant has two levels: the lower level for more casual dining and the upper for what one would assume was more fine dining. We were asked to follow the hostess up the staircase. Let it suffice to say that her skirt should have been at least a foot longer if she was going to "lead the way". We were seated at a lovely corner table and were quickly welcomed by our server, Amanda. She was an absolute delight throughout the meal. She was friendly, courteous, neat, and knowledgeable. She was, in fact, the highlight of the evening. There was a large, loud party that made conversation for other diners difficult. Amanda did try to improve the situation by pulling a curtain divider.
We had been lead to believe that since the lower level was "casual" that we would be dining with folks who wanted a more sophisticated atmosphere. Not so. Shorts, tee shirts, and baseball caps were the norm.
My husband ordered a fish dish which was dry and boring. I ordered chicken bruschetta which arrived with two fillets topped with tomatoes and cheese that had been melted but was now solidified. I did eat one of the fillets and found it to be acceptable but not exceptional. When I checked the second one, I found it to be completely black on the bottom. Not only had the "chef" burned the meat, but then decided to hide it by putting the burned side down...as though the customer would not notice it. The manager did adjust our bill: by subtracting the cost of one half of the dish (after I declined a free dessert).
Overall, it was a total waste of our time and money.

2  Thank travellover021
Reviewed June 5, 2014

What a plesant surprise in downtown New bern. I had 1 of the best NY Strips ever, along with the bacon wrapped scallops (6or8 of them) Step Mom (picky eater) ordered 2 appetizers soft shell crabs and the tuna ...11$ each, it was a meal in itself, wife had what they called a cheesecake, it's 0ne of there specialies, a seafood dish with shrimp scallops and crabmeat, she's still ranting about it. This is wonderful find with GREAT FOOD-GREAT SERVICE..We'll be back again..