“Overrated”

Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Greenville, North Carolina
“Overrated”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

My wife and I went here because it was described as the best in town. We went for lunch and found the restaurant itself appeared very nice and the waitstaff was pleasant. I had french onion soup which didn't taste much better than out of a can. Also ordered one of their specialty turkey sandwich which was very bland. Needless to say, we were very disappointed and don't plan on returning ever again.

• Visited October 2012

Bowie, MD
“Southern classics and innovative attention getting creations”
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Went here because of Trip Advisor rating. I had salmon with a cocoa and Pepsi rub. It was awesome, and I would order again in a hearbeat. Husband had reuben and enjoyed it and the fries. We also ordered Shrimp Dim Sum as an appetizer. Very creative presentation. Three kinds of shrimp dumplings... pot sticker shape, shumai, and one with something green (spinach?), on each side of some julienned cucumber, with a very attention-grabbing (hot!) sauce. My husband didn't like the sauce. I did, and found it within the realm of enjoyable and interesting, but towards the edge of that realm. They were good about accommodating my dairy allergy and prepared the salmon without cream. Beverages were constantly refilled. Server was very good. Atmosphere is great... with wonderful Pepsi/New Bern mural, great art work. I've tried both Morgan's and the Chelsea on this trip... Love them both, but they appeal to different tastes. Morgan's if you want to find food you have always liked, done well, and come out very full, or if you have a group with one or more picky eaters. Chelsea is for you if dining is about new and attention-grabbing experiences. Servers and atmosphere are great at both places. We went to Chelsea's for lunch because dinner prices run $15 - upper 20s. Chelsea is known for it's shrimp and grits which I couldn't try because it's not dairy free. They have tried, but decided it just didn't work to their satisfaction. Lots of other good choices, though!

• Visited October 2012
Chocowinity, North Carolina, United States
“The switcharoo”
Reviewed October 1, 2012

My wife and I went here when I got a small bonus from work expecting one of the finest nights of our dining lives, instead it was a nightmare. My wife had a dish that was honey flavored, I had a sweet and sour dish. The seating arrangements are horrible, lighting is dim so you can't see the filth, I used my surefire flashlight to clean the seats and table, before we sat down. The waitress was like 16 and unprofessional and made me want to leave, when she delivered the good she more slammed the plates down then set them down. We began to eat and that's when the confusion started, my food tasted like honey and my wife's tasted like sweet and sour, I have been a cook for 6 years and I could not tell you what the meat was, I called the waitress over and asked her to identify the entrées on the plates, she could not, so I asked for the chef and asked him the same thing, he looked the dishes over and says "I may have switched the sauces" and then left the table. The waitress came and refilled our drinks and got upset when I asked for our dinner to be recooked, she said she would have to ask her boss and never returned. The bill came to around $50 and I asked for our dinners to be removed and the hostess refused to do this, I said that I was refusing to pay for mistakes and they continued to play their shenanagans and eventually I just paid to get away from there. Terrible place. Terrible staff. Terrible chef.

• Visited February 2012
2 Thank Jeffery F
New Bern, North Carolina
“Excellent Food!”
Reviewed September 27, 2012

I have never had a bad meal (or service) for that matter and this is one of my favorite restaurants in town. The food is so good we had them cater our sons wedding. All of the entrees are excellent, but the best was the shrimp and grits!

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank ggarera
Ellicott City, MD
“Good choice”
Reviewed September 26, 2012

Though there were some inconsistencies in our meal, overall it was a good place to dine. We sat on the first floor, as the second floor seemed more crowded and noisy at 6:30, with lots of families. There were smaller parties on the first floor, so the noise level was lower. I ordered a manhattan to drink and it was fine, but I've had better. The bread basket held the standard warm rolls. My shrimp and grits was delicious, but could have been warmer. I say this because the shredded cheese on top didn't even melt - the cheese wasn't necessary to the dish and it was odd to see each individual strand of cheese - I felt like they had sprinkled on the Sargento at the last minute. That said, the overall flavor was wonderful, with the smoked sausage adding wonderful flavor and the grits some of the creamiest I've ever had. My husband ordered the "cheesecake" entree (shrimp and scallops over an angelhair cheesecake) and enjoyed it. Both entrees were large - no skimping here! I would return for the shrimp and grits, hoping it was a little warmer next time.

• Visited September 2012