“Good food, extensive menu (not just seafood), inviting decor”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Captain Ratty's

Captain Ratty's
Ranked #8 of 168 Restaurants in New Bern
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood, Soups
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Brunch, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Winston Salem, North Carolina
“Good food, extensive menu (not just seafood), inviting decor”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

Wife and I had lunch here on a Sunday. Interior is spacious so you don't feel you are sitting on top of other patrons. Huge bar plus numerous tables for seating. Service was good but the place was not busy. Wife had shrimp and grits. I had mug of chowder and a cobb salad. Food was good but not exceptional. You also get cornbread with the meal. Our bill was $30 for these items (shrimp and grits was $17 which included house salad).

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank Don49680

Greenville, North Carolina
“Far from Ratty, Captain”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

We stopped in on a cold wet January Sunday night and found a welcoming warm dining experience. The food, in general, was very good although i have never seen my wife send a salad back. In her word "Nasty". The wine list was quite extensive and the service was great.

1 Thank Rathcoolej
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Great choice for casual seafood in New Bern”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

We went to Captain Ratty's on a recommendation from our hotel. It was within walking distance, and the place has a nice local feel to it. They are really well known for an excellent wine selection, but they could use a little work on the beers. Add some draft lines, and get some regional beers in there like Mother Earth! We didn't have a wide variety of food, but what we did order was top notch. We got half a pound of the steamed shrimp and one of the crab cake appetizers. Crab cake was really well done... mostly crab meat, barely breaded and lightly fried. That's the way they're supposed to be, according to my wife! The half pound of shrimp was so good, we obliterated it and had to order yet another half pound. We would go back to Captain Ratty's without hesitation.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank Brett D
North Carolina
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Used to be good...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2012

I ate at Captain Ratty's a few times over the last few years and though it was fine (I live about an hour away). Today we had lunch there and we were so disappointed. I made the mistake of ordering the "fresh" Grouper on a salad. I could smell the fish before the plate landed on the table. I should have sent it back, but we had waited a long time for our food, we were hungry and we had to get going. Big mistake. It was not fresh...
Most of the items on the lunch menu were under $10 so when I saw the Grouper was "market price," I assumed it would be a few dollars more. Imagine my surprise when the bill came and the small lunch-sized portion was $19.95! I asked the waiter if that was a typo...Nope. We will not be going back. Such a shame.

• Visited December 2012
Florida
“Great food by home town boys”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012

If you want to have a really nice seafood dinner without having to drive all the way to the coast, this is the place. It's run by Tommy Balance, a local boy who decided to set up shop in the town where he was born and raised. There is a lot to be said for local folks making a business thrive in their home town. the service is great and the food is as good as anyplace you have ever eaten seafood. try it, I think you will agree.

Visited November 2012