This place is out of the way. We were in Unit 11A for the week. We were looking forward to walking to the rec center and marina as a previous guest had mentioned it was a nice walk. Unfortunately we were there when it was a record breaking heatwave - every day over 100! Needless to say, we drove to the pool and marina. Here's some tips:
1. The place is now called "RESORTS at Fairfield Harbour". The check in is on the left - a little BB&T ATM hut is on the corner where you need to make the left.
2. Fairway Villas need updating. The sofa is uncomfortable. The dryer in this unit could use a new drum - even with 2 light items drying it sounds like you are drying 4 pairs of sneakers. As someone else mentioned, it's very noisy. Not only could you hear every step, but every toilet flush as well - it was loud.
3. Look for the flashlight. We had a storm on Sunday night and it knocked out the power for several hours. It was too dark to find the flashlight so we got a new one from the front desk.
4. The grills are charcoal and look nasty - at least the one near the Fairway Villas did.
5. The NY Pizza on the way in closes at 9pm. The pizza is pretty good tho.
6. There aren't many umbrellas at the pool and the PVC lounge chairs and chairs are uncomfortable.
7. The pools and rec center are shared with the homeowners association. Yes, timeshare and residential mixed use and it's far when it's extremely hot.
8. The main entrance to the Dockside/Hurricane Restaurant is around the front - next to the tiki bar. The restaurant is very reasonably priced, pretty tasty food (we had the reubens, bacon wrapped scallops, fried shrimp/scallop combo and the Friday Crab Boil for 2 for $23) and weren't disappointed. The service is good too - ask for Liz.
9. It was extremely hot - we went into New Bern one day - skip Ribeyes Steakhouse for lunch - not worth the money. 247 Craven Cafe around the corner was EXCELLENT for dinner. Carolina's Grill is also very good.
10. Fort Macon Beach is about 1 hr away and a great escape from the heat. Don't forget to bring some folding chairs from home (an umbrella would help too). We stopped at Snapperz Grill - great after a day at the beach.
11. No midweek housekeeping! The place could really use it too. We are not messy but it's those extra little things that housekeeping would have time to catch up with when they are not trying to turn every place over on the weekend. There are cobwebs galore!!!
12. Check out the expiration dates when shopping at Food Lion - bought SpecialK cereal and also a can of veggies set to expire.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Our resort features breath-taking waterfront, wildlife and golf course views. Each unit offers a furnished living area and full kitchen. All share in our generous amenities such as the marina, golf course, restaurant, pool and recreation center. We are 10 minutes from historic downtown New Bern and 45 minutes from the beautiful Crystal Coast. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline and Hotels.com so you can book your The Resort at Fairfield Harbour reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Wyndham Resort At Fairfield Harbour Hotel New Bern
- Wyndham New Bern
- New Bern Wyndham