“Great Food”

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed February 12, 2013

What a great place to eat. I never had Indian food before but I am a convert. This is now one our our favorite place to eat. Service could be better but since it is new I am sure it will improve.

1  Thank Lorraine W

Reviewed February 7, 2013

The Bay Leaf was a real treat. The restaurant was beautifully decorated and sparkling clean. The service was excellent. The food was delicious with many items to choose from. Will return!

1  Thank Jennifer P
Reviewed February 5, 2013

We decided to try this restaurant out as it had great local and trip advisor reviews.
The restaurant is situated at the end of covered walkway on Middle Street so be careful you might walk by.

The welcome was great and we were advised for Friday and Saturday were the most busy so reservations were not accepted. On arrival 6:30 PM we were shown to a table straight away and observed a few more tables available. it seemed from 7 PM people were waiting but still not for long as there are quite a few tables in the establishment.

The restaurant was of pleasant decor but the tables were a bit too close together, one observation to confirm this was our waiter was tending to the loud party of 4 table to our left and I had to move my glass of water thinking he was going to back into it at any moment. Yes confirmed the tables are too close together.

Bless those people to our left, one man was questioning our waiter as to how long he had been in the US.
I thought he was going to ask for his green card and social security number. enough said about them

Our waiter was very good and knowledgeable about the menu and the grades of spicy you may or may not enjoy. My Darling wife who loves Spicy asked for a grade 7. Me of course tried to show my super human gastronomic endurance asked for a 2 when really I was needing a -5.

The food is great and caters to the vegetarians also which is great as my wife is Vegan and an Aries.
Only criticism would be when we ordered the wine, the waiters wine etiquette was a lot to be desired.

It should be as follows;

After presenting the bottle a small taste of wine is then poured for the host. The host examines the cork then the look of the wine, smells it, and tastes it to ensure the wine hasn't gone bad. If the host accepts the wine, about half a wine glass is poured for each guest, first to the women at the table and then to the men.

Not bring 2 glasses and slap the opened bottle on the table and leave the customer to pour the 1st glass, it does not work that way especially as the wine is most important with the meal.

Overall I give this restaurant a very good but refine your table layout and wine skills.

Reviewed January 27, 2013

I've lived in New Bern 3 years and have said almost weekly I'd give anything for an Indian restaurant. Not only do we now have one it is EXCELLENT!! Very pleased with my first visit and will return.

2  Thank JourneyDr
Reviewed January 12, 2013

Food was delicious, prices were reasonable and service was above average. If you like Indian cuisine, you'll like the Bay Leaf.

2  Thank Bill K