“Some of the best seafood I've ever had”
Review of Sting Ray Cafe

Sting Ray Cafe
Ranked #13 of 170 Restaurants in New Bern
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Families with children
Good for: Families with children
Wichita, Kansas
“Some of the best seafood I've ever had”
Reviewed June 6, 2012

I grew up eating seafood at all sorts of restaurants and this place served up some of the best I've ever had. We were in the area on an extended vacation and this place came recommended from people in Asheville NC so we tried it. Crab bisque was 4 star, the hush puppies top notch, both my wife's (crab cake sandwich) and mine entrees were cooked and seasoned to perfection. This is not a white tie and tails restaurant, this is a down home family type place, next to a fish market. On our second visit (we had to go again), i had the fried clams and my wife the fried shrimp. I grew up eating fried clams fresh from the ocean in New England and the Sting Ray put them to shame. Sweet, salty and fried to perfection. I have paid double for clams that weren't as good as this. The cook here knows how to fry seafood.

• Visited June 2012
2 Thank Leon67203

New Bern, North Carolina
“Good gone bad”
Reviewed June 6, 2012

This was once a really good place. The food and service was great. The key word here is "was". This place has gone down faster than a cannonball from a ten story window. I am a New Bern native and my high school classmates and I were regulars here for a while but my last two visits brought that to an abrubt end. When we walked in, the waitresses were sitting at tables talking with customers instead of offering to seat us, portions were terribly small and overcooked (when they were finally served), and the place was not busy. When we were ready to pay our checks, we were ignored and left standing at the cash register as if they really didn't care. I'm not sure what's happened to this place, but if something doesn't change, they will not be in the restaurant business much longer. I will not go back again. My highschool friends and I have found another place for our weekly outings.

• Visited March 2012
27 Thank Carlton H
New Bern, North Carolina
“Great place for lunch”
Reviewed May 31, 2012

Great fish, casual atmosphere, friendly service Close to downtown area.

Visited March 2012
2 Thank Weddingattendees
Austin, Texas
“Service Just OK, Food Good”
Reviewed March 25, 2012

We had flounder, frog legs, and baked potato, all which were good but not great. It is next to a sea food market, so maybe we were hoping for better. There was only one waitress, and she was working so hard trying to please everyone - they should have had more wait staff in there to help her.

• Visited March 2012
3 Thank Njoytravl
New Bern
“Horrible”
Reviewed February 13, 2012

Went to the cafe with two of my work associates. Was told by the hotel we were staying in that it was the "best" in new bern. Wow was it ever the WORST experience and food I have ever had! Dining room area smelled like spoiled fish. ( should of left then) food was hot but greasy..and well the service...if you count taking our order and taking our money. We saw her twice! Best in new bern....wow I have had better at long john silvers ! Don't waste your time neverless your money...

41 Thank GreatfoodFinder