“I'm back for more!”
Review of El Tequila - CLOSED

El Tequila
Cuisines: Mexican
Description: ZIP CODE 28562 Telephone No. 252-633-2958 Food is always great!
Description: ZIP CODE 28562 Telephone No. 252-633-2958 Food is always great!
Reviewed June 28, 2012

Terrific service, flavor, variety. Everyone gets their own bowl of salsa for the basket of chips, so you can "double dip" all you want into your own bowl. Drink specials on the weekends. Great quality entrees. They will customize things the way you want them: extra sour cream, add guacamole, beans instead of rice, etc. There are lots of menu choices. I've never had anything I didn't like. The wait staff is great too. They have outdoor seating on the sidewalk that's great in the daytime or at night.

Reviewed April 23, 2012

Mexican chain restaurant is not bad food but if you're looking for authentic then try another place. Enchilada sauce is similar to pizza sauce and there's not much difference between the enchilada's and burritos, although both came with ample beef fillings. Service is prompt and the wait staff are very attentive. If you're looking for a fast lunch with good value go for it but keep dinner plans pointed towards other establishments. First review by the New Bern Reviewer for this restaurant.

Reviewed March 30, 2012

Their food is far better than any other Mexican Food restaurant in New Bern. Very fresh dishes. Love their salsa!

Reviewed January 12, 2012

My husband and I had sort of avoided Mexican restaurants here. Having traveled in the Southwest, we thought we would be disappointed with the Southeast version of the cuisine. But, we visited El Tequila on New Year's Day. Other places were closed, and our family from out of town "felt like Mexican." So, even though we hadn't been there before, we decided to see why there are often lots of cars parked outside El Tequila. Inside, it's spacious but affords privacy; we liked the carved wooden booths with the tall backs, and the way the waitstaff calls customers "amigos." It's corny, but it's a sign of good customer service training: be consistent, be friendly, and be attentive: the servers re quick to refill your beverage or offer more distinctive house-made tortilla chips and salsa, brought to the table free of charge. I could practically make a meal of 'em, but the menu tempts with dozens of choices, including vegetarian options. I had a combo with a ground-beef taco (I think I'd ask for a different filling, next time) and an enchilada--good, and only $6.95. My husband ordered the veggie fajita, and it came to the table fresh and sizzling with interesting additions which might not be "authentic" (cauliflower, mushrooms) but made the dish really healthful and worthwhile for $9.99. There's a small bar there, but we didn't check it out since it was mid-day. (An aside: the restrooms are well maintained, which is more than you can say for couple of other restaurants in the vicinity that, to my puzzlement, have gotten high ratings from Trip Advisor contributors.) Now, this restaurant (located in a shopping center near a supermarket and Target) is on our list of handy places to have a pleasant, low-cost lunch. And, their web site offers discounts for e-mail subscribers, I just noticed. The site seems to be still under construction, but it'll give you a good feel for the place.

Reviewed December 26, 2011

El Tequila will probably be the only Mexican place we will go to in town. The food is a little on the bland side, but it isn't as greasy and tasteless as other similar restaurants nearby. Our daughter loves the macaroni and cheese, which is completely atypical of her...she wont even eat it at home. The service is OK but it wasn't too busy. I have a feeling that when the place gets busy the service gets worse- because our server was a bit inefficient. She took our plates but didn't give us a ticket- she came back once more and we had to ask for it- then she went to get it.