“Best Mexican in NB!!”

Cuisines: Mexican
New Bern, North Carolina
“Best Mexican in NB!!”
Reviewed November 20, 2012

I love Mexican food & this is my favorite place to go for Mexican!! I mean seriously, who doesn't love fresh baked chips & salsa?! The queso (cheese dip) is always a must have!! The staff is always friendly & usually greets us as soon as we walk in & seats us. I probably eat there at least every two weeks & I can only recall one time that I had to wait about 5 min to be seated but they were really busy that night. Plus, I love the cost...even when $$ is tight, I can still afford to go there to eat!! Chips & salsa are free too!!

• Visited November 2012

Atlanta, Georgia
“Best Mexican in New Bern”
Reviewed July 21, 2012

Hands down, the best mexican in New Bern. Authentic, good prices and nice size portions. I come here every 1-2 weeks, always delicious! Good drink specials too.

• Visited July 2012
“Packed, raving reviews-but we were disgusted.”
Reviewed September 23, 2011

I wont claim to know authentic Mexican from American-ized but the quality of the ingredients at Cerro Grande were terrible. Our meat was so greasy and tasteless. Neither of us could finish our (basic) dishes. Enchiladas and tacos. The service was slow and everyone smoked on the patio so that made things even worse. We went early because we have children. It was still really busy so we thought this must have been the hidden Mexican gem in town. Not so much. We definitely wont return.

• Visited July 2011
New Bern, NC
“Always great!”
Reviewed June 13, 2011

I used to be a regular at another Mexican restaurant in town but it started going downhill and becoming more "Americanized" so it was time for a change. That was a few years ago. Now I am a faithful regular at El Cerro. I don't know what I was doing wasting my time at the other Mexican restaurant--El Cerro is definitely the best in town!

Don't be fooled by the exterior--it is in an old fast food building (Burger King, I think). They are constantly remodeling and updating the building and have done a great job, especially to the interior.

The food is fantastic, especially the authentic tacos (carne asada and chorizo are my favorite). They have the standard combination menu, typical to most Mexican restaurants, but the best choices are further on in the menu. Other good choices are the burritos diabla (very hot) and chori-pollo.

The staff is very friendly and the service is quick. It is always a great choice!

• Visited June 2011
1 Thank nbchica
New Bern, North Carolina
“Best Mexican food in New Bern”
Reviewed June 9, 2011

It's sad to say that a state with as many Hispanics as North Carolina seems to have a dearth of really good Mexican restaurants. Cerro Grande is by far the best in New Bern. Most people rave about Arturo's and personally I don't get it. I grew up in Southern Los Angeles and went to lunch at the homes of my Latina girlfriends. I know genuine from Americanized junk and have been cooking this all my adult years.

There are plenty of standard plates (enchilada, burrito, taco, beans, rice, etc) to select. However, if you look into the real heart of the menu you will find the real deal. Mostly I order a-la-carte. Beans and rice are just cheap fillers for the most part.

The specialties of the house include the Sincronizada -- a tortilla sandwich stuffed with chicken, onions, jalapenos, avocados, and cheese. They also have carnitas. You can order the "real" salsa if you ask for it. Otherwise you get a nice mild blend. The hot stuff is for addicts like me. They have steak Ranchero and Adobo as well as carne asada. Chorizo and lengua tacos.

The margaritas come in two varieties: standard and "top shelf". The latter is awesome and worth the extra money.

• Visited April 2011