“Allright if you like Cockroaches”

Comfort Suites New Bern
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in New Bern
Reviewed October 25, 2012

I was there for a wedding, and I must say I was very surprised. I have never been in New Bern before, and I still can not believe they charge "Miami South Beach" Hotel prices there (all the hotels in New Bern) for a town what appears to be the greatest dump on earth (check out 'historic' New Bern, its a ghetto) The historic part of town does have some 200 year old houses, but nobody maintains them, it looks like a beat up trailer park. Now this hotel appears to be new and shiny from the outside. My room was infiltrated with Cockroaches. My brothers room on a different floor as well. When asking the front desk, the answer was "they know about the problem, but nothing can be done". Those things will multiply like rats, in a year they will come out of any wall by the thousands, and the staff does nothing? My daughter has sleepless nights since she saw the bugs crawling up and down the wall at this hotel. Definitely my last time at a Best Western, and my last visit to New Bern!

Room Tip: Try first floor, might have no Cockroaches
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank Maria M
celestial s, General Manager at Comfort Suites New Bern, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. First let me say that I am sorry you were not able to enjoy your visit. I can assure you that this is not an issue any of our staff will take lightly. We do have a current bug treatment program with a local exterminator. We also handle each issue with our own treatment when we are made aware of the problem. When dealing with nature, there is only so much one can do. We are very proud of this hotel and our guests’ happiness and do everything we can to ensure our guests have a good experience as most of our reviews do show. As for your for your opinion of New Bern, I strongly disagree. Perhaps you were not able to visit some of the wonderful historic attractions such a Tryon Palace and its beautiful gardens. There are areas that are less beautiful, as with any town. However, New Bern is a wonderful place to live and work and I do hope you return and give us an opportunity to change your opinion of our hotel and our town.

Reviewed October 5, 2012

So, it's not riverside. The city of New Bern is riverside, but this hotel sits back behind a row of restaurants and gas stations that line a highway. There is no view whatsoever. I wouldn't stay here on vacation unless I'm just sleeping and then leaving.. but I like scenery. So let's have a good cry about that, and move on with the review.

The staff are really friendly and attentive. The lobby is stylish and welcoming. If you like a fast check-in, this is the place. The rooms are spacious and new, furniture very nice and useful. There was a fridge in my room, and this was my second visit where the fridge seemed to be turned down (i.e. temperature too warm)- one pet peeve I have is maybe they should make hotel fridges with thermometers built in so housekeeping can just look at it and make sure it's nice and cool (hold on a sec, need to go write a patent!) ...

Ok, I'm back. So the only other down side that I have found is a ridiculously slow elevator.
The bedding is clean, the bathroom is spotless, you can tell that the staff is very careful to make this an absolutely reliable place to sleep well and know that you're safe from the germs and creepy crawlies. I love the shampoos and soaps they give you here.. nice scent and generous portions.

If you like to keep an eye on your vehicle, there is ample parking room whether you're in the front or back, with a well lit parking lot. That's really good because Eastern NC is crime-infested. There is a Ruby Tuesday and a Waffle House and a McDonalds all within walking distance, between the hotel and the highway (not across, but right there). The Waffle House comes with good breakfast food and plenty of interpersonal drama to watch (customers and staff too!)

This hotel provides a "hot breakfast" which seems to be some eggs, bacon and sausage and muffins, not to mention some frozen things you can microwave, and a waffle-maker. I love waffle-makers!! .. I'm not sure if the eggs were real eggs or an imitation version like egg-beaters. There's space in the breakfast area to spread out and relax a bit and watch the news and such.

So overall, if you're looking for an immaculately clean place to sleep and top notch staff, this is the place.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
celestial s, Manager at Comfort Suites New Bern, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write so many wonderful comments about our property. Our staff strives to ensure that many of the smaller details are important and its wonderful to hear that our guests appreciate it. I do apologize, for our odd location, and our slow elevator. I can tell you that both of those things personally vex me as well! Again thank you for staying at our hotel, for your gracious comments, and we do hope to see you again.

Reviewed September 28, 2012

I was in New Bern for business, I found the hotel to be very modern and spacious. It was clean and the staff was very helpful. Lighting was great and the television was nice. The indoor pool was an added plus. The rate was more than reasonable for business travel.

Room Tip: Fourth floor was nice
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
celestial s, General Manager at Comfort Suites New Bern, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2012

Thank you for your wonderful review of our hotel. We strive to give our guests the best stay possible, at the most affordable rate. We are thrilled that you are pleased with your stay and do hope to see you again.

Reviewed August 24, 2012

Fantastic new hotel at a reasonable price for New Bern. Great people, big rooms, comfortable beds; very nice all the way around! Best Western Plus is a GIANT step up from what you would expect from a "Best Western". This hotel will rival Hyatt Place or Holiday Inn Express.

Room Tip: If you don't mind driving 5 minutes to downtown New Bern; this is the best value around!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Robert C
celestial s, General Manager at Comfort Suites New Bern, responded to this reviewResponded December 18, 2012

Thank you so much for your kind words and suggestions. We are so pleased to hear from guests that enjoy their visit. We take alot of pride in how our guest feel about their stay after they have checked out and it a a pleasure to hear such wonderful comments. Thank you for choosing to stay with us and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed August 22, 2012

Yes, this was a bit hard to find as its on 2 roads in from the main road. You actually cut through the gas station to get there. The hotel is brand new and very nice inside. I loved the carpet, lighting, everything about it. Our mini fridge didnt work so, we needed to go to another room. We discovered that quickly so, it was no hassle. The rooms are VERY large! The TV gets HD channels (they are higher up). Internet was speedy for a hotel. AC unit is run by a separate control and worked well. Big bathroom with hot water and a decent shower. Bed was very comfy as were the pillows, though I dont get why they put a heavy blanket on in the summertime. Staff was very friendly and professional. They have a "Trip Advisor Rated 2011" sticker which is awesome! I didnt try the breakfast or the pool/jacuzzi. Id love to stay here again!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends

Thank you so much for the wonderful review of our hotel. We are very proud of our property and our staff is very dedicated to providing the best possible stay for each of our guests. We appreciate you as a customer and are glad to know that you were satisfied with your visit.

Reviewed August 14, 2012

Everything was first class at this hotel/motel. We normally stay at the Hampton Inn or Comfort Suites motels when we travel.
That was the Pros about this place.
The Cons were that the Waffle Iron (only one?) was broken and we love Belgian waffles in the morning. Also, the doors to the rooms were not very tight and every time someone closes a door on our 4th floor, our door would rattle and wake us up. The lighting in the bathroom was not enough to shave by.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such kind words and suggestions. I appreciate the feedback from our guests about their stay. I apologize for the broken waffle iron, the issue was actually wiring and I didnt want to take the chance of a bigger problem. Also thank you for mentioning the squeaking door, we were actually able to fix it so wont be a problem for future guests. Thank you again, and we hope you have the chance to visit again.

Reviewed August 9, 2012 via mobile

Close to beach oeuvre river....shopping....the staff was helpful ....always had freshest baked cookies....Shannon and Denise made it easy to be away from home!! They have a great pool...jot tub and fitness center....again location is great for everything you need to do!

• Stayed: August 2012